Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen Freeze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Interesting incident this AM. Went to car, touch screen was frozen. An error then popped up on the screen in front of steering wheel saying something like:

"Touchscreen needs service. Please contact support" Or something similar.

I was in a hurry for a meeting and started driving anyway. Then decided to reboot screen - never came back up. All the while, the error was still in the IC screen and the car was also sending an audible alarm every few seconds. I finally pulled over. Got out. Locked car. Waited. Unlocked and got back in and all was well. Has worked all day.

Once back, I called support in Matthews, NC (Charlotte, nearest to me in Charleston, SC) and they initially wanted me to come in. Being 220 miles away, (440 R/T) I had no interest in jacking up my leased miles and asked them to check logs etc... within 2 minutes they called back and asked if I had anything plugged in to the USB overnight.

I did. A thumb drive with music.

Apparently, they are noticing this is causing similar issues. I will unplug it every night from now on and hope to never see this again.

An FYI to everyone in case this has not been posted here before!

• Informative
Reactions: ArtInCT and BertL
Just checked it.

3GB of Music on an 8GB drive.

358 Songs.

Funny, the thing USB drive has been plugged in pretty much for the last month (as long as I've had the car) and today was the first issue I've had.

If it was the USB drive I wonder if the recent firmware update is also involved.

I have a 1 TB USB drive with about 300 GB of music on it, and I leave it plugged in all the time. Haven't encountered any freezing like that, except sometimes when waking the car it takes a few extra seconds to initialize (maybe 20 extra seconds worst case).

I also have a dedicated thumb drive for music that I leave plugged in all the time. While I have encountered that message and frozen touch screen a handful of times since I've owned the car, it was always able to be cleared with a reboot. Only once did I need to hold down the scroll wheel buttons continuously for about 30 seconds when the normal reboot didn't work (this triggers a "full" reboot, probably similar to what you did by getting out and waiting a while.) In any case, these freezes have been very infrequent. I wouldn't be overly worried about keeping your thumb drive plugged in overnight.

I also have a 8G thumb drive plugged in, about half full. However I've been having computer freezes and crashes, about one per month, before I plugged in the thumb drive. First crash was the day after I received the car. I recently asked to bring it in to fix my unreliable computer. The Denver service center asked me to clear trip history to see if that helps. Denver seems to think that a 90 minute drive generates too much history for the computer to keep track of???