Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen: Mositure/Leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does the screen/digitizer still work when this problem occur? (will it ever stop working) other than the goo issue?
I didn't take any pictures when I replaced my digitizer over the weekend, sadly, but my goo became a massive puddle. I'd estimate 3 tablespoons. It was all hidden above the cubby but below the screen (behind/on the cubby shelf).

I never had a touchscreen failure, so I suppose I could have gone on like that forever? But I shouldn't have to, the glue was gross, and cleaning that much of it was crazy.

I have the same problem as described earlier....delamination extending down the sides and across the top of the display...oozing sticky fluid from the bottom of the bezel.

I first noticed a small defect at the top of the screen in April 2016. I'm guessing I had about 51K miles at that point at 2y 11m old. Over time, this defect grew as described but the screen still worked so I put off taking it into the SC until this week. As far as temperature cycling goes, I live in Florida and the temps are always above 60 degrees. I would imagine it gets pretty hot in the car in my employers parking lot in the middle of the summer.

I'm now at 54K miles and the charge to replace the screen came in at about $1300, including diagnostic fee, etc.
Sounds like the cost of the screen replacement is falling but I still can't help but feel this is a defect vs normal wear and tear.
Also, the application of "goodwill" seems to be somewhat inconsistent.

Good to see the cost coming down. Still concerning that such an important part of the vehicle (that is clearly not related to miles driven) is failing in a predictable pattern before 4 years. Lets hope they have improved on the design since our early builds. I haven't scheduled my replacement yet since 5mos in and though the size of the bubble defect has expanded, the screen still works and so far the goo has not leaked out. I guess I'm waiting for some other problem to crop up (or goo flow) before I bring it in for service.

Good to see the cost coming down. Still concerning that such an important part of the vehicle (that is clearly not related to miles driven) is failing in a predictable pattern before 4 years. Lets hope they have improved on the design since our early builds. I haven't scheduled my replacement yet since 5mos in and though the size of the bubble defect has expanded, the screen still works and so far the goo has not leaked out. I guess I'm waiting for some other problem to crop up (or goo flow) before I bring it in for service.

My hunch is, if there is a bubble, there is glue. There was so much glue everywhere, below the screen but above the cubby. The slow drip was nothing compared to the rest, it was simply a small overflow of the rest of the glue.

So, has anyone got this replaced out of warranty for $985 + tax + labor?

I'm trying to compile some repair information for when I make the call on if I'm going to spring for the extended warranty or self insure any maintenance by putting $4k aside.

Some people appear to report a lot of trouble free miles, and some people have apparently accumulated a pretty staggering amount of repairs.

This will make it that much harder to decide if the $4k to extend the warranty for another 50k miles is going to be worth it, especially considering the $200 per item deductible.

I'd be surprised if a late 2014 has any issues with the screen, but who knows. Screen alone is worth the warranty in my opinion. Toss a door handle in there and you're golden.

Well, mine definitely has two small bubbles on the very top left of the screen, which I will monitor closely and probably have the SC replace before my warranty is up.

Both of my front door handles got replaced last week as neither extended when pressed, locking my wife out twice when she stepped out for a minute and left her purse in the car.:rolleyes:

With a new drive unit, new door handles, new visors, new rear trim piece, A/C silencer kit, replacement coolant pump and a future new touch screen, I think I may be good for a few years...:)

My late 2014 MS is about to have the touchscreen replaced for the same issue. Virtually my whole car has been replaced at one point or other; drive unit, door handles, headlights, tail lights, frunk ... the list goes on.
I'll not it own it by the time it's out of warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I've got a P85 vin 35xx in inventory now that also has the delamination issue around the top edge of the screen. The service center is quoting me $1234 +tax for replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_20170109_093306.jpg
    IMG_20170109_093306.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I've got a P85 vin 35xx in inventory now that also has the delamination issue around the top edge of the screen. The service center is quoting me $1234 +tax for replacement.
Out of warranty I assume? Be aggressive with them on two things, in my opinion. 1.) This is a mfg defect 2.) How long/whats the cost for just the screen replacement? That feels more like a quote for the MCU replacement w/ core charge.

Part cost for my repair was $ 983
I requested goodwill due to a sense (on my part) that this was not a milage-related part/failure and possibly a manufacturing defect. They agreed to waive the labor cost. I am aware of another owner getting a better deal than that but I didn't feel like escalating it further.
Repair was:
ASY,MCU SUB-ASSY SHP GG DISP AND 1 PKG (1089542-00-A)

Part cost for my repair was $ 983
I requested goodwill due to a sense (on my part) that this was not a milage-related part/failure and possibly a manufacturing defect. They agreed to waive the labor cost. I am aware of another owner getting a better deal than that but I didn't feel like escalating it further.
Repair was:
ASY,MCU SUB-ASSY SHP GG DISP AND 1 PKG (1089542-00-A)

I paid the same for the part and the labor wasn't bad. Maybe 1.5 hours. I didn't push for any goodwill. I bought the car knowing that needed to be replaced and I had 85k on the odometer.

2017-03-20 001.jpg
2017-03-20 002.jpg
Bubbles appeared a few days ago, see photo. SC willing to replace at part cost only (no labor charge). Total will be $1000+ after tax, etc. 2013, VIN 0067## with 69k Miles.

Does anyone have definitive knowledge if there has been a design or manufacturing improvement that will allow replacements to last longer? If not, I'll wait awhile to replace. If the root cause has been addressed, I'll replace now.

As for the issue of thermal cycling, it's not an excuse or the cause. It is merely the environment this device should have clearly been designed to withstand. Especially considering the sales projections and results have shown this to launch in high volume in California. Inland and Southern Cal have some of the widest daily temperature swings and highest temperatures of any climate. The engineers would have designed and tested for this. So it's a reliability failure. A design or manufacturing defect. There will be some of those in a new model.

Comparing this to a legacy BMW platform is unrealistic. We all knew this HUGE display was a bold statement and risk. The media went berserk over it, remember? Why was it such a deal? Because it's really really hard to do in the environment of an automobile! A screen like that your office is a completely different situation. This is a very difficult engineering problem.

Those of us who jumped-in early expected there would be lessons to learn. We are grateful that Tesla covered most of the learning. But now it looks like I'll have to spend $1k on the display that I'd rather use for other things. How do I feel now? Am I still "all-in" on this early adopter journey? Is it "fair". Should Tesla cover this? Should they take funds from further advancing the technology and EV field to give us new displays? Should I have to pay to replace a bleeding-edge technology component that did not last as long as I expected because of a design or manufacturing weakness that was unknown at first?

No clear answers here folks. I'm willing to pay for a component that has longer life. I'm O,K, to pay $1k+ every few years for tires. I'm uncomfortable paying $1k every few years for a display. Hopefully the cause has been addressed and this will all go away once the early units are purged though.

So, has anyone got this replaced out of warranty for $985 + tax + labor?

I'm trying to compile some repair information for when I make the call on if I'm going to spring for the extended warranty or self insure any maintenance by putting $4k aside.

Some people appear to report a lot of trouble free miles, and some people have apparently accumulated a pretty staggering amount of repairs.

This will make it that much harder to decide if the $4k to extend the warranty for another 50k miles is going to be worth it, especially considering the $200 per item deductible.
I replaced mine out of warranty for right at $1k. I have 93k on the odometer and my out of pockets in 8k miles was this, windshield and tpms sensors. TPMS was the only surprise as I bought the car with the other known issues.

If you sleep better at night having the warranty. Get it, just know statistically you will lose money.

View attachment 219775 View attachment 219776 Bubbles appeared a few days ago, see photo. SC willing to replace at part cost only (no labor charge). Total will be $1000+ after tax, etc. 2013, VIN 0067## with 69k Miles.

Does anyone have definitive knowledge if there has been a design or manufacturing improvement that will allow replacements to last longer? If not, I'll wait awhile to replace. If the root cause has been addressed, I'll replace now.

As for the issue of thermal cycling, it's not an excuse or the cause. It is merely the environment this device should have clearly been designed to withstand. Especially considering the sales projections and results have shown this to launch in high volume in California. Inland and Southern Cal have some of the widest daily temperature swings and highest temperatures of any climate. The engineers would have designed and tested for this. So it's a reliability failure. A design or manufacturing defect. There will be some of those in a new model.

Comparing this to a legacy BMW platform is unrealistic. We all knew this HUGE display was a bold statement and risk. The media went berserk over it, remember? Why was it such a deal? Because it's really really hard to do in the environment of an automobile! A screen like that your office is a completely different situation. This is a very difficult engineering problem.

Those of us who jumped-in early expected there would be lessons to learn. We are grateful that Tesla covered most of the learning. But now it looks like I'll have to spend $1k on the display that I'd rather use for other things. How do I feel now? Am I still "all-in" on this early adopter journey? Is it "fair". Should Tesla cover this? Should they take funds from further advancing the technology and EV field to give us new displays? Should I have to pay to replace a bleeding-edge technology component that did not last as long as I expected because of a design or manufacturing weakness that was unknown at first?

No clear answers here folks. I'm willing to pay for a component that has longer life. I'm O,K, to pay $1k+ every few years for tires. I'm uncomfortable paying $1k every few years for a display. Hopefully the cause has been addressed and this will all go away once the early units are purged though.

You and I practically share a VIN haha... Only time will tell if it's "fixed" unfortunately. :(