Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pete90D

Fan of Red Lights
Jul 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I got in my car this morning and I saw an error message that said "Touchscreen needs service" and that I should contact service.

Has anyone seen this before? I rebooted the display and it went away. I'd really rather not have to make an appointment if this is something that happens time to time.

I got in my car this morning and I saw an error message that said "Touchscreen needs service" and that I should contact service.

Has anyone seen this before? I rebooted the display and it went away. I'd really rather not have to make an appointment if this is something that happens time to time.

I have had this message a couple times over the last year. It goes away after a reboot and doesn't come back for a long while. It seems to only happen when there is a software problem such as when 3G and internet not working or I have seen after a software upgrade.

Did you have an iPhone plugged into the USB port?

Main Screen Freeze Error + Apple iPhones plugged in by USB

I don't, just two flash drives.

I have had this message a couple times over the last year. It goes away after a reboot and doesn't come back for a long while. It seems to only happen when there is a software problem such as when 3G and internet not working or I have seen after a software upgrade.

Thanks. I've been waiting for the latest update to arrive, but so far nothing. Maybe there was an LTE issue last night or this morning.

I also had this error message this morning today. The screen was unresponsive to anything and the 3G was down intermittently. I was afraid that it's a display hardware issue and was not looking forward to paying for hardware replacement when it happens again when warranty goes out. Hopefully it's just a software glitch since it's fixed by reboot.

I had that on a road trip last June. I had perfect cellular coverage and nothing plugged in to the USB ports. I was at the furthest point away from home when it happened. In addition to the error message, the screen would not respond at all to touch, but did still seem to be working (maps would move etc.) I was worried about my trip home since you really do need that screen to control things in the car. A re-boot fixed it.

I don't, just two flash drives.

I had this happen a couple of times in one day right after the .46 update. Both times a reboot fixed it (although it obviously came back once after that). My car had to go in for service for other items so I mentioned this to the SvC as well. They concluded it was due to my USB drive and recommended reformatting it. I switched to a larger USB drive, which I reformatted before copying the music over and haven't seen this since.

Along with the iPhone issues, it seems the touch screen's computer is sensitive to what's connected to those ports.

They concluded it was due to my USB drive and recommended reformatting it. I switched to a larger USB drive, which I reformatted before copying the music over and haven't seen this since.

Along with the iPhone issues, it seems the touch screen's computer is sensitive to what's connected to those ports.

Imagine, a thing plugged into the USB port can bring down the center console.

That's just, wow!

Nothing is plugged in to my USB ports, though I have a cigar lighter USB power supply for my iPad. When the message appears, the screen loses its recognition of any touch. The message occurred yesterday, would not go away after screen and total reboots, but was gone this am. Came back a few minutes later. Seems to go away after car turned off, but comes back soon after restarting. Will visit Service Center, but I'm concerned that unless Tesla knows the cause the problem may return.