Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen not responding to touches randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my tesla model 3 performance, and already there has been quite a few times where the touchscreen wouldn't do anything when touched.

For example I was on netflix and when I tapped the screen I couldn't get the pause etc options coming up . Touchscreen wouldn't respond to any touches.
The only thing that worked was pressing brake which showed up the top bar and then I could click the X to close the app. Then everything worked again.

Anyone had this ? any ideas?

Also unrelated but if I have the radio playing and then open netflix or some app, when I close the app, the radio resumes really loud for like 0.5 seconds and then goes back to it's original volume

I’ve been having the same issue but mine is basically dangerous as it is happening whilst driving too. When it does happen the touchscreen will simply not respond to touch until about 5 seconds later after I’ve tapped.

I requested service and it was in being looked at on Friday, but they checked everything out including the screen and it’s coax cable and said it was all working okay. Unfortunately I had the same issue on my drive home.

I feel like it’s one of those issues that will never surface when you’re looking for it. I will have to log another service request.

Have you tried rebooting with the steering wheel buttons? That didn’t fix the issue for me though.

The sound going loud then quiet again is normal behaviour. I’ve always had the same thing when using YouTube and then closing it with music playing on Spotify.

Thanks. I don't think it's a physical hardware issue because as soon as I close the affected app that's not responding to touches (by pressing brake and the X top right) the screen all works again. So it's like a software issue

I’ve found my M3 2022 has started showing this behaviour recently too where the screen is unresponsive for a short period of time, and it’s happened while I’m driving when trying to adjust the wiper speed. Seems to happen often with navigation, when searching for a new location or cancelling it, and controlling Tidal. I did a two button soft reset when it became unresponsive and it was only a temporary fix.

I thought it may have been a firmware issue but I’ve been on 2022.20.8 for a while now and didn’t happen when I first updated to it.

I have a screen protector but I don’t think it’s that either, and have also checked for cracks, for there are none.

We received our Model Y on Wednesday 7th and having exactly the same problem as BarryW. Have tried resetting but makes no difference. Is definitely dangerous when it stops responding while driving.
That’s really interesting, thanks for sharing. I’ve been quite alone with this issue and haven’t seen anyone else have the same problem until now. I have another Tesla service visit on Tuesday, this time it’s a mobile visit and they’re bringing a new screen with them.

I’m slightly concerned it may not be the screen that is the fault as it sticks until I tap or swipe many times, or reboot the car. I’d rather not replace the screen as the colours are perfect on it.
Why is it dangerous when the screen stops responding to touches while driving?
Two reasons I’ve encountered lately… I was driving in heavy rain and auto wipers aren’t keeping up, I couldn’t manually adjust them to the fastest speed.
Also I’ve needed to move the car quickly and I’ve not been able to enter my PIN in on the screen using PIN to drive. Sometimes there’s no signal so can’t even use remote start.

Reactions: beasty54
Hey, count me in as having this same problem.

I took delivery of my M3P on 8/29 with 2022.15.102 software installed. I never had any problems with the touchscreen under that version.

After having the car for about 5 days, I was prompted to update to 2022.24.6 and starting having the issue after that update. The next version, 2022.24.8, didn't help the issue. I haven't updated to 2022.28.1 yet and will probably try it tonight.

So, my issue is that the touchscreen will be completely unresponsive at random times. I could be parked or driving, using navigation or not, etc. I haven't found a commonality. It doesn't matter if I've just pulled the car out of the garage or have been driving for a while. When it is acting up, I can press and hold an area and after several seconds it will respond and then work normally until the next time it happens (which could be minutes or hours later). It is common enough to be very annoying.

It acts to me like it has "gone to sleep" or stopped polling the screen for input as quickly as it should be. Holding my finger in place will eventually be recognized and that seems to "wake it up" for a while.

For everyone else with this issue, if you hold your finger in place for a few seconds, does it work?

Hey, count me in as having this same problem.

I took delivery of my M3P on 8/29 with 2022.15.102 software installed. I never had any problems with the touchscreen under that version.

After having the car for about 5 days, I was prompted to update to 2022.24.6 and starting having the issue after that update. The next version, 2022.24.8, didn't help the issue. I haven't updated to 2022.28.1 yet and will probably try it tonight.

So, my issue is that the touchscreen will be completely unresponsive at random times. I could be parked or driving, using navigation or not, etc. I haven't found a commonality. It doesn't matter if I've just pulled the car out of the garage or have been driving for a while. When it is acting up, I can press and hold an area and after several seconds it will respond and then work normally until the next time it happens (which could be minutes or hours later). It is common enough to be very annoying.

It acts to me like it has "gone to sleep" or stopped polling the screen for input as quickly as it should be. Holding my finger in place will eventually be recognized and that seems to "wake it up" for a while.

For everyone else with this issue, if you hold your finger in place for a few seconds, does it work?
This is the exact issue I was having. It didn’t seem like a hardware issue as it would respond after tapping many times or holding on the middle of the screen. It really did feel as if it was going into some kind of deep sleep where it wouldn’t wake up instantly. It also would not happen if I was actively using the screen whilst parked, as it wouldn’t have the chance to ‘go to sleep’.

I put in a service request about the issue and they couldn’t find a fault in testing, they also couldn’t replicate the issue. I had to put in another service request to say the issue was there, and they came to my house via mobile service and replaced my screen.

Since replacing the screen, the issue has not happened at all. Unfortunately, the screen that they replaced it with is not as good and is a lot dimmer and washed out. It ruins the look of the car and it’s not a like for like replacement, so I’ve put in another service request about this new screen.

Did anyone of you have your screen issue resolved. I received my Model3 standard range on 10/18/2022 and I'm experiencing the same issue. The service center said they couldn't reproduce it and told me to keep a timestamp of the issue, then bring it back. I wonder could it be a software issue, I have V11.0 (2022.28.300 8b81faab6e90).

Did anyone of you have your screen issue resolved. I received my Model3 standard range on 10/18/2022 and I'm experiencing the same issue. The service center said they couldn't reproduce it and told me to keep a timestamp of the issue, then bring it back. I wonder could it be a software issue, I have V11.0 (2022.28.300 8b81faab6e90).
I had this issue almost daily, and since I’ve had the screen replaced, it hasn’t happened once. It must be a bad batch of screens unfortunately. The service centre couldn’t replicate the issue when they had it in, however I had a video of PIN to drive not accepting any input and once I showed them it, they swiftly arranged to have the screen replaced.

I’ve actually had two screens fitted on my Model 3 as the one I had replaced originally was very dim with poor colours and was hard to see in daylight. The service centre also agreed with me so they have fitted a third screen for me, which is thankfully perfect. A lot of hassle but sorted in the end.

The cover under the screen has been mangled though by the service technicians. It’s a piece of plastic and they must’ve used a screwdriver rather than a pry tool. It’s hidden but it kind of sucks that it’s just left like that on a brand new car. I’ve attached an image to show you what I mean.

Attachments

• 01C09B1B-591A-4A9A-89B4-BC0E0F96FB5E.jpeg
    01C09B1B-591A-4A9A-89B4-BC0E0F96FB5E.jpeg
    805.5 KB · Views: 294
I’ve been having the same issue but mine is basically dangerous as it is happening whilst driving too. When it does happen the touchscreen will simply not respond to touch until about 5 seconds later after I’ve tapped.

I requested service and it was in being looked at on Friday, but they checked everything out including the screen and it’s coax cable and said it was all working okay. Unfortunately I had the same issue on my drive home.

I feel like it’s one of those issues that will never surface when you’re looking for it. I will have to log another service request.

Have you tried rebooting with the steering wheel buttons? That didn’t fix the issue for me though.

The sound going loud then quiet again is normal behaviour. I’ve always had the same thing when using YouTube and then closing it with music playing on Spotify.
On August 22, I updated the system from 2022.11.101.5 to 2022.8.20, then the Problems occur.

the Problems will not affect the driving and screen display. However, the screen will not receive finger input. Several methods have been tried, including stopping the Bluetooth, unplugging the USB flash disk, restarting the system. The problem occurs randomly and the reason is unknown.

On October 21, 2022, I went to Tesla Service Centre. They cut off the 12V battery for a cold restart, which was useless. However, they said that the bug was solved in 2022.36.1. It's true?

I want back to 2022.11.101.5 , which is no Problems with screen.

PS: I come from China ,my english is poor....

I had this issue almost daily, and since I’ve had the screen replaced, it hasn’t happened once. It must be a bad batch of screens unfortunately. The service centre couldn’t replicate the issue when they had it in, however I had a video of PIN to drive not accepting any input and once I showed them it, they swiftly arranged to have the screen replaced.

I’ve actually had two screens fitted on my Model 3 as the one I had replaced originally was very dim with poor colours and was hard to see in daylight. The service centre also agreed with me so they have fitted a third screen for me, which is thankfully perfect. A lot of hassle but sorted in the end.

The cover under the screen has been mangled though by the service technicians. It’s a piece of plastic and they must’ve used a screwdriver rather than a pry tool. It’s hidden but it kind of sucks that it’s just left like that on a brand new car. I’ve attached an image to show you what I mean.
I was able to record several videos of the malfuntion and uploaded to my next service appointment. They are sending mobile service to my house tomorrow to replace the screen. I was hoping it was a bad software update but my Tesla won't update, even after changing the software update setting and the wifi connection is very good. Hopefully, the problem will be gone by tomorrow and hopefully I won't have to go thru what you went thru with needing a third screen. If not, then all the service requests should help me when returning the car under the lemon law.

I was able to record several videos of the malfuntion and uploaded to my next service appointment. They are sending mobile service to my house tomorrow to replace the screen. I was hoping it was a bad software update but my Tesla won't update, even after changing the software update setting and the wifi connection is very good. Hopefully, the problem will be gone by tomorrow and hopefully I won't have to go thru what you went thru with needing a third screen. If not, then all the service requests should help me when returning the car under the lemon law.
I got a new screen today. The mobile tech did an awesome job. Took him around 20 minutes to replace the screen. The touch screen is responding to all touches now. Hopefully this will be the end of the issues. I'm still on the same version 2022.28.300.

Reactions: redeva
Congratulations to you.but the service in China ask me to wait for 2022.36, them dont want to replace the screen .fuxx them!
I got a new screen today. The mobile tech did an awesome job. Took him around 20 minutes to replace the screen. The touch screen is responding to all touches now. Hopefully this will be the end of the issues. I'm still on the same version 2022.28.300.

Went into service for the same non-responsiveness, had videos. They told me that it was a known issue, and that it would be revolved in a future software update... (which is tesla-speak for "We don't know yet").

It only happens every now and then, and hasn't happened for a while.
When it's coming back, will video it again and will demand better solution.