Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen not responding to touches randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the exact same situation with my 2-day old Tesla here in Slovenia. Screen does not respond to touch for cca 30-60 seconds at a time, at random, while the screen normally displays everything on it (the displaying part does not freeze).

As someone else mentioned, holding your finger on the screen for about 5-10 seconds usually wakes it up again but it is highly annoying as I cannot operate the car at random times. Version: 2022.28.100

Would anyone be able to send me a video they recorded of their Tesla demonstrating the issue of not responding to touches , and that I could maybe use for service. My Tesla does it randomly and I want to log a service request but I can't get it to happen again but it does it randomly.

Would anyone be able to send me a video they recorded of their Tesla demonstrating the issue of not responding to touches , and that I could maybe use for service. My Tesla does it randomly and I want to log a service request but I can't get it to happen again but it does it randomly.
OMFG keep me in the loop on this. I took mine the the Barcelona Service Centre with the same, increasingly eggregious, complaint... and they cracked it and told me it was because of my garage door openner velcroed to the back. Several UK service techs said that "phantom touch" behaviour is a thing. In the new year I will be suing them for the €1400+ euros that should have been a warranty item. PM me so I can send the video off this board.

Just bought a 2021 M3LR and having same issue. Notice it glitches when radio is loud. Almost like the vibrations make it glitch. When I hold screen and press it towards me to prevent it from vibrating it stops. As soon as I release, it starts back up. Worst part is that screen automatically selects features like songs, opens apps, changes HVAC settings, opens locations ok Navigation system because the vibrations make it think someone is selecting these features. I have maintenance coming down in a week. Hoping to get this resolved.

Just bought a 2021 M3LR and having same issue. Notice it glitches when radio is loud. Almost like the vibrations make it glitch. When I hold screen and press it towards me to prevent it from vibrating it stops. As soon as I release, it starts back up. Worst part is that screen automatically selects features like songs, opens apps, changes HVAC settings, opens locations ok Navigation system because the vibrations make it think someone is selecting these features. I have maintenance coming down in a week. Hoping to get this resolved.
shine a bright light on it and see if you can see any hairline cracks. If you can then whether they will replace it for free may be a toss up. Take some photos if there are no cracks in case any "appear" during the replacement process.

Reactions: M3noob and Adopado
shine a bright light on it and see if you can see any hairline cracks. If you can then whether they will replace it for free may be a toss up. Take some photos if there are no cracks in case any "appear" during the replacement process.
This happened to me... phantom touch is the name of the phenomenon. I had a video of the display going haywire but completely unblemished YET when the Barcelona SC got to it there was a huge crack so charged me €1400 for what should have been a warranty replacement. Now that I have time on my hands (post hip replacement - mine, not the cars!) I shall be pursuing a warranty claim with Tesla UK who have been zero help despite my video evidence.

The video is too big to post but here's a pic of the unblemished screen. In the Spainish heat, my wife had to constantly turn off the seat heater on the drive to the SC... so glad the phone app could overridge the nonsense that phantom touch was generating.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-122557.png
    Screenshot_20220613-122557.png
    502.5 KB · Views: 66