TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Touchscreen: phantom touches

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by univ, Sep 7, 2017.

1. univ

univ Member

Hi forum,

for 2 weeks now I'm encountering "phantom touches" in the upper half of the touchscreen in my 85D. This is what happens (video):

Service center gave the good advice to run the sketchpad to see where it happens exactly. This is what it looks like after 10 mins of driving (changed color from black to red shortly after starting to drive):

2017-09-06 11.00.48 (Large).jpg

Service center said the whole MCU needs to get replaced in this case. They want to charge me 3500 EUR (about 4170 USD) which I'd prefer not to spend. My car is out of warranty at 186,000 km (116,000 miles).

Does anyone have any advice, guesses, tips, magic on how to fix this (cheaper?)?

I'm located in Germany.

Thank you!
    Markus

2. univ

univ Member

PS:

Rebooted, of course.

Powered down the car as well.

Cleaned the screen.

Removed the screen protector I had applied. (AbstractOcean)

Nothing in the USB ports.

3. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Could it be something behind the bezel that surrounds the screen? Maybe remove that and clean underneath there?

4. univ

univ Member

Could be, but I don't dare to remove anything by myself. Got 2 left hands and I'm sure I'll break something.

I was thinking more along the lines of
    :)

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Happened to me, differently - more severely, while under warranty and they replaced the whole thing. It has been working fine ever since.

I would try cleaning under/around the bezel if not under warranty.

6. univ

univ Member

Service center replaced the touchscreen (not the whole MCU) today and now everything is fine again. As an exception, they took the touchscreen from another MCU and used that. Cost 1354 EUR (1619 USD) instead of the originally announced 3500 EUR (4170 USD) for the whole MCU. I'm happy about the cost saving and also happy because I don't have to re-enter my 200 Spotify faves. :)

Finally, here's a "Best Of" of the small person living inside the Tesla trying to be an artist:

2017-09-09 03.31.12 (Medium).jpg 2017-09-09 18.09.08 (Medium).jpg 2017-09-10 12.31.26 (Medium).jpg 2017-09-10 19.13.46 (Medium).jpg

7. Algbc

Algbc Member

Okay 1st of all. How did you get Spotify?? How did you get it to display like that?
    Secondly, try cleaning your screen, power cycle and see if that helps.

8. univ

univ Member

I'm in Germany, Europe. All European cars have Spotify, not Slacker.
    Display like that: That's the sketchpad app, one of hidden easter egg thingies. Tap 3 times quickly on the Tesla T at the very top and it will show up.
    Thanks, touchscreen was replaced, now everything is fine again. :)

• Informative x 1