Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen practical while driving? Safety issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told at Oak Brook that there is a built in web browser in the touch screen.

How is one going to type into that?

An on screen keyboard? And / or a plug in keyboard?

on screen keyboard, but I am sure one could pair a bluetooth keyboard and use that as well. Obviously surfing the net is should only be used when the car is stationary or by a passenger.

The buttons on the right side of the radio is a numeric keypad, the ones on the left are for changing the source...most of the specific functions are done by manipulating that knob in the middle and selecting the option on the display or via steering wheel controls and cluster.
Re: Mercedes controls -- Had them on a rental and it was utterly mystifying UNTIL reading the manual. Once the meta rules were understood, it wasn't too bad.

And I basically think that'll be the same with touch screens. You'll learn where you need to go to do the functions. You can play music with trumpet (buttons), piano (BUTTONS!), trombone (uhh... slide?), violin... etc. etc. It is still music, just done differently and it is pretty easy for a person to learn the controls for a reasonable number of cars simultaneously.

Coincidentally I landed in Florida yesterday and got a Mercedes as a rental. I sat in the lot for about 15 minutes getting used to things and pairing my phone. The drive stick is still confusing (the one that will apparently make it into the model s), though I have gotten used to the nav system. Overall, I find the interface intuitive once you get used to their logic. From there it's all downhill (as in easy to figure out). I have a feeling a touchscreen will be easier to figure out though.

I get the feeling switching between the model s and another car will only be problematic for me with the gear shifter.

These are the screens that I deal with while flying. From my perspective there is no way that the Tesla screen can be distracting or dangerous if common sense is used.

0050830.jpg

Lloyd, since when did common sense become an assumed prerequisite for a US driver? :)
We may expect Tesla owners to have some, but government bureaucracy will assume that common sense does not exist among all drivers, and apply regulations to protect drivers they assume are galactically stupid.

These are the screens that I deal with while flying. From my perspective there is no way that the Tesla screen can be distracting or dangerous if common sense is used.

Of course, the difference is that when driving, you're regularly just a few feet from obstacles and other vehicles moving at significantly different relative speeds. In flying, you mostly have open space in front of you...so I'm not sure that's a great analogy. But I agree with your point nonetheless :smile:

It would be much better if they just allow us to sign a waiver accepting full responsibility - rather than trying to "protect" the drivers by limiting the interface and then forcing the driver and passenger to find even more distracting ways to work around the limitations...

Edit: welcome to the forum, Bob!

Tesla had owners sign a waiver that they must keep their Roadsters plugged in. Several owners disregarded, ruining their traction battery - with major stir in the media now known as the "bricking problem". Same would happen if a driver crashes with a Model S, stating he was consumed with the touch screen at this time. Not all drivers will be owners, you cannot even assure they read the user manual.

Tesla had owners sign a waiver that they must keep their Roadsters plugged in. Several owners disregarded, ruining their traction battery - with major stir in the media now known as the "bricking problem".

Several?? :frown: There were rumors flying, largely started by the one guy who tried to pressure Tesla, but I don't recall any case apart from that one.

(OT Alert!)

I don't want Tesla to decide I can't access things (or a passenger). It drives me nuts that my Prius touchscreen goes gray when I'm driving - can't press a button to make a call over the car audio system, can't reroute when backed up in traffic (unless I'm at a complete stop).

What I would find reasonable is for Tesla to set defaults to the safest possible state - and then IF an owner wants to reset those defaults, it's a clear choice.

I don't want Tesla to decide I can't access things (or a passenger). It drives me nuts that my Prius touchscreen goes gray when I'm driving - can't press a button to make a call over the car audio system, can't reroute when backed up in traffic (unless I'm at a complete stop).

What I would find reasonable is for Tesla to set defaults to the safest possible state - and then IF an owner wants to reset those defaults, it's a clear choice.

+1. I ran the bypass for a few head units. They usually aren't that hard to do but some manufactures, Alpine, need a sequence to be input to unlock it. I just hope that it isn't the same here.