TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Touchscreen replacement instructions / DIY?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TechGuy, Sep 14, 2018.

1. TechGuy

TechGuy Member

Does anyone know of any tips/instructions for replacing the touchscreen yourself?

Like many others of its time, the screen in my 2014 Model S is delaminating and causing quite a mess. The Service Center said it will be somewhere around $1200 to replace the screen (not the entire MCU), but of course Tesla parts are difficult to come by. They've been (supposedly) trying since March to get a screen from California, but still no ETA.

I just discovered several on eBay, and perhaps there are other ways for me to acquire one, and at a fraction of the cost that Tesla would charge. I'm in IT and have replaced notebook and PLC screens before, so I'm hoping this might be similar. I did some searching and found many discussions of having the screen replaced, but almost nothing on how to do it. I think it's likely that I missed some discussion (and hopefully even photos) and would greatly appreciate any links. Thanks!

2. macbeth

macbeth Member

I have never done the screen only, but if you are trying to replace the entire MCU (which I believe to be an easier, but more expensive task), I have helped a couple people do this (I am still not very good at it). The entire process takes about 4-5 hours, being very careful, but the replacement is plug and play. Jason Hughes did a good video on the process, you have to slow it down and go step by step, but the video helps ().

If you go this route, come down to your office in H-town and I will help you, the job goes faster with two people.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Is there a firmware/pairing issue if a person were to replace the MCU with a used one? IOW, some software update step that only Tesla can do before the new MCU is recognized?

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Member

Sounds great, @macbeth -- I'll send you a PC.

@Rockster , I think you're right. I don't think a full MCU swap is feasible without at least swapping a chip from what I've read -- not to mention much more expensive.

Does anyone have any experience swapping just the screen? Thanks!

5. demundus

demundus Member

Was the car fully functioning after the MCU replacement? How did you get the car to recognize the MCU

6. demundus

demundus Member

It's very simple, except that I messed it up cause I let my cat hang out with me when I did it. I have done it a second time successfully with no errors when I had my memory replaced

1.) Remove the entire MCU (as shown in the video)
    2.) Remove the screen from the cage (8 torx 2 on each side)
    3.) gently allow the screen to fall slightly out of the cage, remove the 2 ribbon connectors (this is where i messed up, cat bumped me and i ripped a ribbon connector, had to replace the entire MCU)
    4.) remove the screen from the cage
    5.) reverse with new screen

You will likely only find damaged screens on ebay, you may need to buy a donor MCU and then try to resell the computer portion on ebay.

• Like x 1