Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen Reset Required After Update to 2020.8.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

I updated to 2020.8.2 yesterday. It was later in the day so I did not drive the car. This afternoon, I turned on climate controls from the app. About 10 minutes later, I went to the car and it was cold and it seemed like the air conditioning was running. The Touchscreen was not on.
I went back to the app and it would not connect to the car. I was concerned because the air conditioning (and presumably the compressor) was still running. Fortunately, I found this video to reset the Touchscreen and the car. I reset only the Touchscreen and it returned to normal operation. I took the car for a drive and it operated as expected; the voice commands are pretty cool (the Tesla Arcade did not appear in the Easter Eggs though).

Some Details
When I navigated to the Climate part of the Tesla app on my phone, I noticed the fan was set to Low and no temperature settings were displayed. I pressed the button to turn on the control and to turn on the heated seats for driver and passenger. Ten minutes later, I went to the garage to find the Touchscreen off and the air conditioning running as described above.

Joe

that video that you linked, I only watched like 10 seconds of it to find out what you were talking about when you say "reset the screen".

Pushing both scroll wheel buttons "reboots" the car. It does not just "reset the screen" (although the screen does turn off as well as the rest of the computer system). Its like saying that you hold the power button on a computer to "reset the screen". The screen reset is a part of the "reboot".

I didnt watch the video far enough to see what "Resetting the car" would be in that video, because it was already sort of incorrect about the scroll wheels "resetting the screen" (well it does, but see above). I suspect that it says to push the power off button which shuts down the car, unlike pressing the scroll wheels which reboots the car.

One is rebooting the computer, one is shutting down the computer, but both interact with the same way with the car. Sometimes, just like a computer, the car needs to be rebooted after an update. Fairly common for that to happen. Its common enough that I now automatically reboot the car after every update, before driving it (double scroll wheel).

Reactions: mswlogo
that video that you linked, I only watched like 10 seconds of it to find out what you were talking about when you say "reset the screen".

Pushing both scroll wheel buttons "reboots" the car. It does not just "reset the screen" (although the screen does turn off as well as the rest of the computer system). Its like saying that you hold the power button on a computer to "reset the screen". The screen reset is a part of the "reboot".

are you sure about that? the 'screen' is just part of the infotainment system and the scroll wheel reboots THAT. I'm pretty sure it does not reboot the whole car. if it did, then it would fix any stuck states and it most certainly does not. a sleep/wakeup fixes stuck states but the 2 button salute does not. it just reboots the infotainment and that's not a critical part of the car, for safety reasons.

are you sure about that? the 'screen' is just part of the infotainment system and the scroll wheel reboots THAT. I'm pretty sure it does not reboot the whole car. if it did, then it would fix any stuck states and it most certainly does not. a sleep/wakeup fixes stuck states but the 2 button salute does not. it just reboots the infotainment and that's not a critical part of the car, for safety reasons.

Well, it does not reboot the entire car as in the car is drivable if you use the two thumbwheel reboot, but (for example) I dont think the turn signals work if the screen is rebooting. You can drive, but its not rebooting "just" the screen".

So, yeah your right cause its not the entire car, as HVAC still hums and such but its not just like turning off a monitor and back on.

Scroll wheel reboot does the MCU (ie, the screen). The turn signals and driving systems still work, you just don't get auditory feedback until the MCU is back up. I'm pretty sure the 'Power Off' reboot does attempt to shut down / reboot all computers (autopilot, MCU, etc).

So, yeah your right cause its not the entire car, as HVAC still hums and such but its not just like turning off a monitor and back on.

for functional safety, there MUST be a separation between the non-critical things and the stuff that is tied to powertrain and essential bodycontrols.

any car that gets built and sold will have to have gotton this part, right (and tesla did, of course).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My HVAC seems to have been acting a little wonky lately, so I will try the thumbwheels salute (AKA, resetting the MCU). Otherwise, I need to start paying attention to what the damned thing is doing.

ETA

EXCEPT, I am still on 2020.4.1, so this wouldn't apply to me.

DUH!

Bad Kevin

I didnt watch the video far enough to see what "Resetting the car" would be in that video, because it was already sort of incorrect about the scroll wheels "resetting the screen" (well it does, but see above). I suspect that it says to push the power off button which shuts down the car, unlike pressing the scroll wheels which reboots the car.

One is rebooting the computer, one is shutting down the computer, but both interact with the same way with the car. Sometimes, just like a computer, the car needs to be rebooted after an update. Fairly common for that to happen. Its common enough that I now automatically reboot the car after every update, before driving it (double scroll wheel).

Thanks for your reply! I agree there is probably no difference between "resetting the screen" and rebooting the car's computer. I used the same terms as the author of the video to provide a difference between what they did for the screen and what they did for the car.

I looked in the 2020.4 version of the manual. The manual also uses the phrase "Restarting the Touchscreen". It also makes a distinction between that and cycling the power on the car.

Thanks for your reply! I agree there is probably no difference between "resetting the screen" and rebooting the car's computer. I used the same terms as the author of the video to provide a difference between what they did for the screen and what they did for the car.

I looked in the 2020.4 version of the manual. The manual also uses the phrase "Restarting the Touchscreen". It also makes a distinction between that and cycling the power on the car.

Yeah you are right on that. I was a bit over zealous there. I think it reboots more than "just" the screen but it does not reboot the entire car (because you can definitely drive, etc).

Apologies for my over zealousness.

This happened to me, too. Updated to 2020.8.2 the other day (started it via my phone), and didn't get in it until yesterday -- the screen was black, and I had to do a restart to get it on again.
Everything else about the car seemed normal; lights came on, charge port door closed, etc.

Greetings!

I updated to 2020.8.2 yesterday. It was later in the day so I did not drive the car. This afternoon, I turned on climate controls from the app. About 10 minutes later, I went to the car and it was cold and it seemed like the air conditioning was running. The Touchscreen was not on.
I went back to the app and it would not connect to the car. I was concerned because the air conditioning (and presumably the compressor) was still running. Fortunately, I found this video to reset the Touchscreen and the car. I reset only the Touchscreen and it returned to normal operation. I took the car for a drive and it operated as expected; the voice commands are pretty cool (the Tesla Arcade did not appear in the Easter Eggs though).

Some Details
When I navigated to the Climate part of the Tesla app on my phone, I noticed the fan was set to Low and no temperature settings were displayed. I pressed the button to turn on the control and to turn on the heated seats for driver and passenger. Ten minutes later, I went to the garage to find the Touchscreen off and the air conditioning running as described above.

Joe
UPDATE
The Arcade was moved to the Entertainment menu on the Arcade tab.

Joe