TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Touchscreen UI Concept

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by R²B, Mar 19, 2015.

1. R²B

R²B All Star

#1 R²B, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Very nice.
    I like the variable size windows that tile themselves automatically. This will allow more information on the screen.

3. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Meh...

I like the clean, non-skeumorphic style.

BUT, this is not a general purpose tablet. This is an automobile interface.

What's shown might be great for a passenger or when you are parked but don't see anything useful when driving. You've got to consider the whole experience and work steering wheel controls, voice, main instrument panel and the center console into a unified experience.

Not an easy task.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I like it. All the options might be a bit too confusing to use while driving (As well as being difficult to hit) though.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#5 AmpedRealtor, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Not practical for a driving application. Those windows are too small and the contents difficult to read or touch while driving. But the concept of the movable quadrants is good.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I like the look. But what I really want is more stationary buttons in fixed locations. For instance, they could easily have a ribbon on the driver's side of the screen, similar to the top and bottom, with fixed buttons that would help me to avoid multiple screen taps to get to what I need. Examples are:

Climate: fixed buttons for recirc, AC compressor on/off, fan speed,
    Audio: direct buttons to tone and balance and much easier controls for those, such as up/down arrows moving in smaller increments than current. It is very hard to move the balance around while driving.
    Door lock, trunk, funk and charge port open/close
    Suspension height

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Excellent idea! The ability to move certain functions to a ribbon or sidebar would be very useful. For instance, I would put range mode, units, and door locks on a ribbon so that I could access my most used settings with just one touch. What I dislike about the Model S interface is that I have to plow through multiple menus and tabs to change a function.

8. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

I'm not sure about the proposed interface. I'm not fond of more smaller windows. One of the things I love about Tesla's layout is the minimal screen area used for dedicated controls, maximizing usable area while maintaining a good level of functionality. It's a delicate balance I think they hit very well.
    A customizable ribbon (or drop-down menu) sounds like a good idea though. When reading above I was thinking, how often do you need to change tone or balance? But to each their own, and there are a few buttons within menus I access often, and that's the point.