Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen UI Concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh...

I like the clean, non-skeumorphic style.

BUT, this is not a general purpose tablet. This is an automobile interface.

What's shown might be great for a passenger or when you are parked but don't see anything useful when driving. You've got to consider the whole experience and work steering wheel controls, voice, main instrument panel and the center console into a unified experience.

Not an easy task.

I like the look. But what I really want is more stationary buttons in fixed locations. For instance, they could easily have a ribbon on the driver's side of the screen, similar to the top and bottom, with fixed buttons that would help me to avoid multiple screen taps to get to what I need. Examples are:

Climate: fixed buttons for recirc, AC compressor on/off, fan speed,
Audio: direct buttons to tone and balance and much easier controls for those, such as up/down arrows moving in smaller increments than current. It is very hard to move the balance around while driving.
Door lock, trunk, funk and charge port open/close
Suspension height

I like the look. But what I really want is more stationary buttons in fixed locations. For instance, they could easily have a ribbon on the driver's side of the screen, similar to the top and bottom, with fixed buttons that would help me to avoid multiple screen taps to get to what I need. Examples are:

Climate: fixed buttons for recirc, AC compressor on/off, fan speed,
Audio: direct buttons to tone and balance and much easier controls for those, such as up/down arrows moving in smaller increments than current. It is very hard to move the balance around while driving.
Door lock, trunk, funk and charge port open/close
Suspension height

Excellent idea! The ability to move certain functions to a ribbon or sidebar would be very useful. For instance, I would put range mode, units, and door locks on a ribbon so that I could access my most used settings with just one touch. What I dislike about the Model S interface is that I have to plow through multiple menus and tabs to change a function.

I'm not sure about the proposed interface. I'm not fond of more smaller windows. One of the things I love about Tesla's layout is the minimal screen area used for dedicated controls, maximizing usable area while maintaining a good level of functionality. It's a delicate balance I think they hit very well.
A customizable ribbon (or drop-down menu) sounds like a good idea though. When reading above I was thinking, how often do you need to change tone or balance? But to each their own, and there are a few buttons within menus I access often, and that's the point.