Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen unresponsive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I've had to reboot my touchscreen a number of times (3 or 4 in the 2 full days of ownership) because the touchscreen becomes unresponsive. The common thread seems to be that the car has been on/parked for an extended period with trunk and FaWDs open while I pack it/unpack it for a visit to the flying field.

Not a huge deal but I'm curious if I'm just doing something wrong?

Reactions: Darryl
No it's not normal behavior, at least not on the Model S. But can you recall if this happens after a firmware update? I don't mean right away after, but usually after a while after updates have been installed.

If so, I always do as a "best practice" to manually reboot one time after any update. That seems to really restart all the software and make it more stable.

PS! You do this by holding down both the scroll-wheels on the steering wheel for aprox 10 seconds until the center console goes dark. Release and wait until it boots up again.

Yeah, this morning's non-responsive screen was definitely a firmware update related freeze. Rebooted once myself with the two thumb salute and then it rebooted itself again a few seconds later which was good because it was seriously confused, backup camera view went away, etc. after that second reboot things got back to normal.

@pvogel. It starting happening to me yesterday. Right before the last software upgrade was installed. It happened twice today.

@K-MTG. I think is better that Tesla owners contact Tesla about their problems on an individual basis. When information starts to get combined and posted on the forum it seems to get out to the media and and we have more articles like " most unreliable car ever made" which is not true. In the realm of things there are only a few individuals who have posted their problem compared to the problems produced. Since you only hear the negative and most people don't post the positive this means there are a lot of cars who's cars don't have problems.There have been several forum users who have started posts to collect information about problems found at delivery.

Tesla management is aware of every one of my problems as the problems are known issues. Most of what is posted is superficial type of problems which in most cases will be taken care of before the people leave the SC.

I recommend anyone who has issues with their new Tesla car they give their local Tesla SC the first chance to fix the problem. If the problem isn't resolved they should escalate it to service management In their area. If you still have am issue write Tesla a friendly letter. I think the gang approach should be saved for major problems which is not getting through to Tesla.

By the way Tesla monitors this forum and you aren't going to tell them anything they don't already know.

We've had the center screen freeze every morning we've had the car (plus once after it had been parked for a while).

Personally, I think it could be related to Bluetooth. At least in my case, it doesn't freeze until the calendar pops up after my phone completes its Bluetooth handshake. 5/5 times its frozen, it's been stuck on my calendar. My wife is finally driving (her) car today, so we'll see if she has the same bug when her phone syncs.

We haven't received any software updates since we got the car on Monday.

Fwiw, Bluetooth has been very finicky throughout the 7.0 and 7.1 releases (at least with my iPhone 6s) on my Classic Model S. I've employed a number of tricks to get music and podcasts to play correctly. This was a new bug introduced in the 7.x releases and still hasn't been resolved.

After last weeks software upgrade I had the problem with the main screen becoming unresponsive. Then I got another software upgrade on Sunday. After the software installed the screen behind the steering wheel went black and I couldn't get the car to go. So I did a reboot and after the reboot the screen behind the steering wheel was normal again. Best of all I now don't have to do daily reboot as the main screen is no longer freezing.

We have a problem, usually everyday, where we have to do a reboot as the main screen will freeze. Today I couldn't even get the car to "turn on" until I rebooted. The main screen was black.

I thought it had got better last week after an update but it appears the update from earlier this week made things worse.

I had held off taking it in for service as I wasn't sure there was anything the SC could do.

Is everyone having this problem? My wife and I are technology people so we can deal with it but I know plenty of people where this would be a major problem.

We have a problem, usually everyday, where we have to do a reboot as the main screen will freeze. Today I couldn't even get the car to "turn on" until I rebooted. The main screen was black.

I thought it had got better last week after an update but it appears the update from earlier this week made things worse.

I had held off taking it in for service as I wasn't sure there was anything the SC could do.

Is everyone having this problem? My wife and I are technology people so we can deal with it but I know plenty of people where this would be a major problem.

My X does not have this problem at all. Call for a SC appointment.