Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tough Purchase Decision: Roadster or Semi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What to buy. What to buy??

With so many similarities: like electric motors, steering wheels, displays, seats, windshield wipers, etc, it's tough to make a choice between the two. Here's my first effort to help anyone in the same dilemma:

Some Pros and Cons, Roadster vs Semi:
  • Room for four (sort of), but less space for "the captain”
  • Attracts hot chicks, but this makes the wife unhappy
  • Fits in the garage, but can’t pull the speed boat
  • Easier to park, but harder to find in a parking lot
  • Somewhat faster ;), but less safe in a collision
  • Terrific on twisty roads, but can’t see over traffic
  • Great fun to drive, but harder to make money with
...or, maybe just buy one of each o_O

Why not make a Tesla toy hauler, with the front part of the Semi trailer as your RV and the back part to house the Roadster. Park the Semi in an RV park for a few days to charge it at 240V@40A while you drive the roadster around the area to see the sights, then load up and move on...

I could justify a mortgage on a Semi and a Roadster if I did this!

Reactions: dhrivnak and BerTX
I can count the number of hot chicks my Roadster has attracted on one hand. While wearing mittens.
So this many?
71DFJnmL36L._SY355_.jpg

So, will the Roadster have a trailer hitch option?
Why not make a Tesla toy hauler, with the front part of the Semi trailer as your RV and the back part to house the Roadster. Park the Semi in an RV park for a few days to charge it at 240V@40A while you drive the roadster around the area to see the sights, then load up and move on...
As someone who recently bought an X 100D so that I could tow a camper trailer, I love the idea of a new Roadster towing a specially designed highly aerodynamic camper! With that 200kWh battery it would have decent range even when towing (since towing would likely cut the usable range by up to 50%) if the trailer was properly designed to fit into the Roadster’s slipstream. The front end of the trailer would come to a low, rounded point the size of the rear of the Roadster, where the trailer sleeping area would be and your feet would be. Behind that the trailer volume would expand into a center section for the kitchen/bathroom area, and then the tail would taper like the Bowlus Road Chief Home - Bowlus Road Chief and the rear of the trailer would contain the seating area.

Obviously the potential market for such a trailer, optimized for the dimensions of the new Roadster, is small. But I think that in the near future, as huge numbers of Model 3’s hit the road (which I think will have a towing option at some point) and then the Model Y, along with increasing numbers of Model X, trailer manufacturers are going to realize that there is a market for a highly aerodynamic camper trailer. At the moment there is nothing on the market that meets that description, in my opinion. The Bowlus comes the closest, but at well over $100K it’s not a realistic choice for more than a few. I want to see something around 20 ft long for less than $50K that is optimized for a low CD.

The Tesla Semi as shown is not something I would want for a recreational trailer tow vehicle. Too large to easily maneuver in campground. However, a half size version of the Semi could be a very compelling tow vehicle for a camper trailer. Seriously, of course I don’t expect Tesla to create such a vehicle any time soon. But maybe in 10 years...