Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toured the Factory Today - Model X is Coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to agree, we know they are building alpha units since they stated that publicly. I doubt the parts viewed were stamped out, but were more likely one-offs, made specifically for the alpha build. That kind of stuff will come later, when production is actually going to begin. This sounds more like just using the factory space to prepare the alphas.

And yes, it's exciting. :) But it's in line with the timeline stated less than two weeks ago, so not a huge surprise. But exciting just the same. (Though it's hearing little things about X technology that makes my head swivel.)

I toured a few months ago, and did see near the giant stamper a reference sheet with die numbers. To my untrained eye it looked like some of the parts were too either too big or had door handle slots in the wrong place for S...

I don't see that this means anything... We know they're going to be working on Model X, they've said the first pre-production units would be coming soon. Given that they've only been building the Model S, any steps toward Model X production would create a special atmosphere at the factory.

I think you nailed it. Most of us already knew this information from various announcements. However, I think the purpose of my post was to confirm - unequivocally - that what they're saying is indeed happening, and fast!

Up until the tour I was taking the announcements with a grain of salt. Some of you might remember that it took months after the first deliveries to really ramp up production on the Model S. But after seeing pallets of Model X parts, and everything else that was going on. I think they're a much, MUCH more polished machine then they were back in 2012. About half way through the tour I remember thinking to myself "oh ****, this is really happening!"

It was very excited to see how they've grown as a company and to see how they were somewhat un-phased by all of the changes going on around them. I didn't see one person just standing around, or anyone who looked confused or not sure about what they're supposed to be doing. Everyone looked focused, confident, and in the zone.

Paul Carter - If you have the time and they have a slot, you should do the tour.

Took the factory tour today. We were not allowed to see the final assembly area (must be something going on there that they did not want us to see). We also did not get very close to the stamping area, but could see it from a distance.

A special alternative, we were able to tour part of the electrically assembly area upstairs. It was very impressive....

Did not see anything that could be identified or considered Model X unique.

Took the factory tour today. We were not allowed to see the final assembly area (must be something going on there that they did not want us to see). We also did not get very close to the stamping area, but could see it from a distance.

A special alternative, we were able to tour part of the electrically assembly area upstairs. It was very impressive....

Did not see anything that could be identified or considered Model X unique.

Sounds like the same tour we got. The upstairs assembly area was a nice alternative, but I definitely want to go back to see the rest of it. I know from others who have toured the factory that they've never let anyone up there. So when the guide said he was going to take us up there I jump out of my seat a little. We did get close to the stamping machine though. We had to stand on a green line, but it was close enough to see aluminum go in one end and a perfect part come out the other.

On a separate note - tell me you didn't want to slide down that escalator, lol

Sounds like the same tour we got. The upstairs assembly area was a nice alternative, but I definitely want to go back to see the rest of it. I know from others who have toured the factory that they've never let anyone up there. So when the guide said he was going to take us up there I jump out of my seat a little. We did get close to the stamping machine though. We had to stand on a green line, but it was close enough to see aluminum go in one end and a perfect part come out the other.

On a separate note - tell me you didn't want to slide down that escalator, lol

Yes, that was some climb to the upper level!

Love it. So, now we can track Model X progress by areas of the factory tour we are not allowed to see :)

It has been said many times in recent media that Tesla shut down for a week to install a second line of robots with a price tag of $100 million dollars. This new line will be able to make both the Model S and Model X (depending on demand). The first line will continue as is for now only making Model S.

Re: stamping machine...

From previous reports this machine does not run all the time because it is able to already run at 500k a year run rate. So if you got to see anything happening consider yourself lucky.

I will also note, that while I don't know what is in the NDA you signed I would ask that you guys be careful not to say too much, I would hate for you to get in trouble. I would also hate it even more if they had to stop giving tours because people kept breaking the agreements. I know it is exciting and you want to tell everyone, everything... but do be careful not to get too carried away :)

Re: stamping machine...

From previous reports this machine does not run all the time because it is able to already run at 500k a year run rate. So if you got to see anything happening consider yourself lucky.

I will also note, that while I don't know what is in the NDA you signed I would ask that you guys be careful not to say too much, I would hate for you to get in trouble. I would also hate it even more if they had to stop giving tours because people kept breaking the agreements. I know it is exciting and you want to tell everyone, everything... but do be careful not to get too carried away :)
you mean like this right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,086
It has been said many times in recent media that Tesla shut down for a week to install a second line of robots with a price tag of $100 million dollars. This new line will be able to make both the Model S and Model X (depending on demand). The first line will continue as is for now only making Model S.

The old assembly area is no more. Some of the equipment was moved to the new assembly area, the rest was rendered obsolete by the upgrades made and removed. There is only one assembly line operational, it will be used for both S/X. So they are not making Model S (or anything) in the old area.

The old assembly area is no more. Some of the equipment was moved to the new assembly area, the rest was rendered obsolete by the upgrades made and removed. There is only one assembly line operational, it will be used for both S/X. So they are not making Model S (or anything) in the old area.

That is contrary to what they have said, which is that it will be used for test purposes for any one off cars, prototype, alpha, or otherwise purposes. Specifically this would allow them to make and test Model X cars without interrupting the main line. So if that has changed it is news to me.