Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touring Cape Breton Island, in Nova Scotia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulesVerne

Model Y Owner - since Aug 14, 2021
Jun 6, 2021
Toronto
I have seen there is a previous thread from someone asking the same thing, but that was in 2015.
In September, I am driving from Toronto to Halifax to deliver my daughter to University.
I am hoping to be making the trip in my yet to be delivered Tesla Model Y LR.

While there I would like to tour Cape Breton.
Looking on Plugshare, I see that there is a Tesla Supercharger in Enfield, just outside of Halifax.
I would charge to 100% there, then head to Cape Breton.

Can the Cape be toured in 1 day? or do I need to stay overnight somewhere to enjoy it more?

On the route, Plugshare shows many chargers along the route, but I suppose the best, for seeing the cape are at "parks"!?
i.e. Ingonish Beach (4 x tesla), Beulach Ban Falls (2 x Tesla), Macintosh Brook (Tesla x 3), Cheticamp Visitor Center (Tesla x 4)

Is that my best bet for touring the cape?
Stopping at parks/hiking trails, to hike, and charge at the same time?

It says pay parking, but does not indicate a charge for the charger? Are they free once paying the admission to the park/parking lot?

What is the etiquette for such a "park" charger.

Can I plug in and walk/hike away for 2 hours? even if my car fills up in that time?

.. Thanks in advance.
I have totally mapped out my chargers using "A Better Route Planner" for the trip from Toronto...it is just me wondering how feasible Cape Breton is. (and how long should I stay on the trail!!??)

.. Andrew

Never been there but I did map out a potential trip a while back. This site linked below could be an option to charge too. Check out the comments and photos. Good luck with it.

If you don't stay overnight, you will see the roads and little else. OK for saying you've been there but you'll miss a lot. Maybe 2 nights. Are you combining Cape Breton with other sights in Nova Scotia? It's a big drive from Toronto, so make it worth your while. Come back through Digby, take the ferry across the Bay of Fundy. Don't miss my little town, Annapolis Royal.

I have figured out one thing.
The middle/end of Cape Breton, is Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
So a drive around the cape, means you pay, per person to enter the park, to drive around the cape.

That would then mean, that when I stop at the sites I mentioned in my first post, They are spots in the park, with electric chargers. So no need to pay for parking, I'll already be in the park, and it seems no charge for charging!

They say the straight through drive is 5 hours, so yes, is sounds like stopping and sleeping over at least 1 night.

and it seems that it is about 300 kilometers from Halifax to the beginning of the trail. SO.. would need to charge near the beginning of the "scenic drive"!!!

Andrew

.. I'm driving to Halifax to deposit my daughter at University, so we're doing the trip anyway. Just trying to decide if Cape Breton, which I have never driven, is feasible in the EV! Also visiting relatives in Tatamagouche, and Halifax, and friends in the outskirts.

Pay attention to the charging speed of the various chargers when planning your route. Not all chargers (even Tesla chargers) are as powerful as Superchargers, capable of recharging your car in 30 minutes or so. For example, most Tesla "destination chargers", such as those found at certain hotels, are only level 2 chargers, making them roughly equivalent to connecting to a 50amp RV site. These will typically take 8 hours to recharge your car. I'd be surprised if those in a park would be any faster.

I have seen there is a previous thread from someone asking the same thing, but that was in 2015.
In September, I am driving from Toronto to Halifax to deliver my daughter to University.
I am hoping to be making the trip in my yet to be delivered Tesla Model Y LR.

[...]

.. Andrew

Andrew, I just did Cape Breton a couple of weeks ago with my Model Y SR from Quebec City, and reported my experience in this old Cabot Trail thread in need for an update: The Cabot Trail

A CHAdeMO adapter would allow you to "fast" charge at 50kW on a handful of public Flo chargers (giving you about 260 km/hour charge at a rate of $15/hour). They are along the route in Stellarton, Monastery, or just before the beginning of the trail in Baddeck. Maybe you can loan such an adapter for your trip, it will give you a lot more flexibility.

As a matter of fact if you stop by Quebec City which is on your route from Toronto, I will be happy to loan you mine.

Having said that, I think the Cabot Trail is doable with a LR as long as you stop at least one night on the trail - which you definitely should do anyway - and staying at a place where you can plug in your car for a full overnight charge.

The Level 2 chargers at Parcs Canada were donated by Tesla last year and are all free to use. So if you plan a two hour hike or stay at a beach where the parking lots have chargers (as indicated by Plugshare), that will charge your car at 10kW (or about 50 km/hour charge).

When I was using these chargers, typically with 8 spots (4 Tesla/J1772 and 4 J1772), only once did I see another car plugged in. With the current situation, I would expect the same when you'll be there, so it will probably be fine if you leave it charging there for several hours unattended. You can always put a visible note with your cellphone number if the place appears busy.

Hopefully that answers your questions. It's a great idea to do the Cabot Trail as a bonus for your trip to Halifax. That place is just beautiful.

Pay attention to the charging speed of the various chargers when planning your route. Not all chargers (even Tesla chargers) are as powerful as Superchargers, capable of recharging your car in 30 minutes or so. For example, most Tesla "destination chargers", such as those found at certain hotels, are only level 2 chargers, making them roughly equivalent to connecting to a 50amp RV site. These will typically take 8 hours to recharge your car. I'd be surprised if those in a park would be any faster.
Thank you. By looking in Plugshare, and looking at the comments for the specific "Park" chargers, they appear to be , 48amp, 205volt, 10kw chargers.
It looks like that might give 36 mph. So if taking an hour hike after plugging in, I think that wold be a decent return.

Biggest problem seems to be charging after the initial drive from Halifax to Cape Breton.
395km from Halifax to Chéticamp, in Cape Breton... OR 349km from Halifax to Baddeck (Alexander Graham Bell Museum)
Andrew, I just did Cape Breton a couple of weeks ago with my Model Y SR from Quebec City, and reported my experience in this old Cabot Trail thread in need for an update: The Cabot Traile

A CHAdeMO adapter would allow you to "fast" charge at 50kW on a handful of public Flo chargers (giving you about 260 km/hour charge at a rate of $15/hour). They are along the route in Stellarton, Monastery, or just before the beginning of the trail in Baddeck. Maybe you can loan such an adapter for your trip, it will give you a lot more flexibility.

As a matter of fact if you stop by Quebec City which is on your route from Toronto, I will be happy to loan you mine.

Having said that, I think the Cabot Trail is doable with a LR as long as you stop at least one night on the trail - which you definitely should do anyway - and staying at a place where you can plug in your car for a full overnight charge.

The Level 2 chargers at Parcs Canada were donated by Tesla last year and are all free to use. So if you plan a two hour hike or stay at a beach where the parking lots have chargers (as indicated by Plugshare), that will charge your car at 10kW (or about 50 km/hour charge).

When I was using these chargers, typically with 8 spots (4 Tesla/J1772 and 4 J1772), only once did I see another car plugged in. With the current situation, I would expect the same when you'll be there, so it will probably be fine if you leave it charging there for several hours unattended. You can always put a visible note with your cellphone number if the place appears busy.

Hopefully that answers your questions. It's a great idea to do the Cabot Trail as a bonus for your trip to Halifax. That place is just beautiful.
Excellent. Just read your report. I'll keep the Chademo in mind (i.e. re borrowing.. From what I am reading, it seems ccs will beat out Chademo, so don't think I should invest in one)
It does seem like I have a lot of options to add some power during hikes. and I am now thinking of staying on the Trail for 1 night, and I'm going to ask beforehand, if I may plug in (110v) for the night

Reactions: Etna
Andrew, I just did Cape Breton a couple of weeks ago with my Model Y SR from Quebec City, and reported my experience in this old Cabot Trail thread in need for an update: The Cabot Trail

Thanks again for the offer of the CHAdeMO adapter. As you probably saw, I successfully toured the Cabot Trail, using the parks "destination" chargers, and had no range anxiety. Up to the time of departure from Toronto, I was considering your adapter offer. Turns out it was not needed, all I needed was a little planning.
(see my summary in my "3300 mile" post)
- I charged to 100% at Beulach Ban Falls park charger, by parking overnight. I left my phone number in my window, and had asked at the park entrance if I could do that (park overnight). They said, sure, as long as my "park pass" was visible.
.. I walked 1km down the road to my VRBO cabin. It was great.

Reactions: Etna