Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Bar / Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone advise if the Model 3 Tow Bar OEM is a hidden tow bar or a fixed visible one?
Adding to post by @MrBadger bear in mind that unlike the Model Y it has to be bought with the car ... it cannot be added after purchase as there are some hardware aspects that are different to standard cars (I am led to believe). Electrics include sidelights brake and indicator lights.

The cover for the model y one is also on cheap plastic clips and a pain to take off again without breaking (suspect it will fall off one day).

For the cost of it I would have expected an electronic one from Tesla

i havent even tried mine on my model 3 yet, but thought i would have it just incase.
It‘s a faff to fit and remove, but gets easier with practice. Seeing as it’s a factory fit only option, it’s definitely worth speccing if you have any inclination of ever towing something. I invested in a 90º electrics adapter to make it easier to plug/unplug trailer electrics. Wasn’t cheap, but it’s a huge quality of life improvement.

In the UK - it is not permitted to fit any aftermarket tow bar to a M3 without nullifying their warranty, due to:
software and electric issues. I have checked and double checked with Tesla. The car isn't configured for a tow hitch once it goes into production.
Only way to remain within warranty is to specify a towbar pre-production. (as per manual).

In the UK - it is not permitted to fit any aftermarket tow bar to a M3 without nullifying their warranty, due to:
software and electric issues. I have checked and double checked with Tesla. The car isn't configured for a tow hitch once it goes into production.
Only way to remain within warranty is to specify a towbar pre-production. (as per manual).
Just to be clear, fitting a tow bar doesn’t invalidate your warranty. Using the tow bar to tow a trailer when it’s not rated to tow or fitting an aftermarket bar (as you mention), does. You can still mount a bike rack to it with no problem if it’s all OEM parts.

I’ve fitted a tow bar to my car even though it wasn’t specced on order. All parts are OEM and I got all the electrics directly from Tesla. It works just as if it was factory fitted except I’m not allowed to tow a trailer.

Reactions: init6
I bought mine second hand with a Westfalia detachable invisible towbar already fitted.
The previous owner never took it off so the mechanism was completely stuck and had to be cut off.
A local tow shop replaced the whole structure, internal bar and swan neck, with a Brink one that seems better designed. Left the existing electronics in place.

With the new Highland Model 3, the retrofit tow bar policy has finally changed if what I’m told is correct; I asked this question of the Tesla sales guy after a recent test drive and he confirmed it would be possible to install an aftermarket tow bar and tow a trailer legally (as you have been able to do with Model Y I understand). The VIN and weights plate of the car has both a maximum train weight and a maximum gross weight, giving a 1000kg difference which equates to the towing limit of the car.

IMG_3363.jpeg

Could you install a Tekonsha Zero Contact Interface to avoid nullifying the Tesla warranty?

61+WzcKesaL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

With the new Highland Model 3, the retrofit tow bar policy has finally changed if what I’m told is correct; I asked this question of the Tesla sales guy after a recent test drive and he confirmed it would be possible to install an aftermarket tow bar and tow a trailer legally (as you have been able to do with Model Y I understand). The VIN and weights plate of the car has both a maximum train weight and a maximum gross weight, giving a 1000kg difference which equates to the towing limit of the car.

View attachment 1018371
That's good news. I suspect the limitations with the older 3 are all about regulatory certifications and not anything tangible.

View attachment 1018371
That’s a fantastic change. It was always daft that you had to order the M3 with the bar otherwise you’d never be able to tow. That’s an expensive mistake!