Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Bar "Offer"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
I had an SMS from Tesla

"Tesla Update - You now have the option to equip a tow hitch to your Model Y order -providing up to 1,600 kilograms of towing capacity. The additional cost of Tow Hitch is £1,090. If you would like to update your order, please respond 'YES' within two days and you'll receive a confirmation email once complete."

So has everyone with an MY on order had this? or do they have some matching my spec MSM/black/19" but with tow bars unallocated and are looking to move them on quickly?

I had an SMS from Tesla

"Tesla Update - You now have the option to equip a tow hitch to your Model Y order -providing up to 1,600 kilograms of towing capacity. The additional cost of Tow Hitch is £1,090. If you would like to update your order, please respond 'YES' within two days and you'll receive a confirmation email once complete."

So has everyone with an MY on order had this? or do they have some matching my spec MSM/black/19" but with tow bars unallocated and are looking to move them on quickly?

I've not had this text but mine is a Blue/Black/19 order due for pick up on 29th June.

I think I'd be more concerned that if I was to respond YES to that text that it would be considered a change to the spec, resulting in a price increase in the base car and get bumped to the end of Q3. I wouldn't put it past them!

Reactions: Durzel
They have changed the wording then, mine was starting with

« Tesla Update - You can now take delivery of your Model Y …… with Tow Hitch equipped-providing up to 1,600 kilograms of towing capacity. […] »

Having read only the first sentence this was an even bigger anti-climax

Sounds like the same price and spec as the one in the shop that can be retro fitted. Given they’re saying you can add it to your order it’s probably a retro fit anyway. I certainly wouldn’t want to order it and find you have to wait longer for your car.

I got the same email today and will want a tow bar but as I have an SC booking on Wednesday (2yr brake fluid/filter/tyre rotation) I will ask if there's any way I can use the one I already have from my 3 & just pay for the wiring and ball joint in the car. I fully expect this to be a No though.

So, I replied 'yes' and this morning got a new order agreement. Price of the car hasn't changed, but they put £1300 for the price of the towbar (not £1090). I assume a mistake has been made, and now waiting for Tesla to call me back, but just flagging to others who may have also added it to check their updated prices carefully!

Edit: Tesla have confirmed that there was a pricing error and this should be rectified on my account soon.

Last edited:
I've not had this text but mine is a Blue/Black/19 order due for pick up on 29th June.

I think I'd be more concerned that if I was to respond YES to that text that it would be considered a change to the spec, resulting in a price increase in the base car and get bumped to the end of Q3. I wouldn't put it past them!
Hi there, when did you order your car?
I ordered mine on April 25, 2022. It is currently showing a delivery date between Aug 8 and Sept 17. I wanna check how far back I am in line.

Hi there, when did you order your car?
I ordered mine on April 25, 2022. It is currently showing a delivery date between Aug 8 and Sept 17. I wanna check how far back I am in line.
Unless I'm mistaken that's the earliest EDD I've seen. Most of them are rather very end of August (like mine) or starting in Sept.
Aug 8 would mean they are planning a ship departing early July, which would be great news...

Reactions: Toblerone
So, I replied 'yes' and this morning got a new order agreement. Price of the car hasn't changed, but they put £1300 for the price of the towbar (not £1090). I assume a mistake has been made, and now waiting for Tesla to call me back, but just flagging to others who may have also added it to check their updated prices carefully!

Edit: Tesla have confirmed that there was a pricing error and this should be rectified on my account soon.
Well spotted, thank you. Mine is showing £1300. Will give it a few days and contact them. Did your EDD move today? Mine was sept-oct, moved to Oct - Nov this afternoon, and now back to sept -Oct 🤯🤯

Well spotted, thank you. Mine is showing £1300. Will give it a few days and contact them. Did your EDD move today? Mine was sept-oct, moved to Oct - Nov this afternoon, and now back to sept -Oct 🤯🤯
Interesting that it isn't a one-off then... Hopefully they will sort everyone's! I was told it would take 24 hours to sort it out, but I'd perhaps give it a week...

My EDD hasn't changed at the moment (still August 9 to Sept 18th).