Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Bar "Offer"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possibly £1090 without VAT? A trick used by many a vendor.
Nope as it's £1090 on the configuration screen for new orders and that's VAT inclusive. Chap on the phone confirmed it was a mistake. My theory is that either someone added VAT on (but then it should have been £1308, so...?) or the price of towbars is about to increase and they have applied the new price by mistake...

Reactions: interbear
I got the same email today and will want a tow bar but as I have an SC booking on Wednesday (2yr brake fluid/filter/tyre rotation) I will ask if there's any way I can use the one I already have from my 3 & just pay for the wiring and ball joint in the car. I fully expect this to be a No though.
Don’t think an M3 towbar would be any use on an MY. The socket on the M3 (inconveniently) points downwards, the MY one points backwards.

Is it the same price to add the tow bar anytime after taking delivery? I might do it later if the desire to cart around a couple of bikes becomes a thing. Not meddling with my current order spec though, paranoid they’d bump it out if I do so.
Think so, but not 100%. We really need it. 4 bike rack waiting to go. Was hesitant about adding it in case it gets bumped but it's done now!

Reactions: interbear
Interesting that it isn't a one-off then... Hopefully they will sort everyone's! I was told it would take 24 hours to sort it out, but I'd perhaps give it a week...

My EDD hasn't changed at the moment (still August 9 to Sept 18th).
That's good on your EDD. Mine has shifted 4 times past 2 weeks and it's causing stress! Stopped looking for a bit but now back to daily checks, just on case 😀🤞

So, I replied 'yes' and this morning got a new order agreement. Price of the car hasn't changed, but they put £1300 for the price of the towbar (not £1090). I assume a mistake has been made, and now waiting for Tesla to call me back, but just flagging to others who may have also added it to check their updated prices carefully!

Edit: Tesla have confirmed that there was a pricing error and this should be rectified on my account soon.
Just an update on this...

Had new order agreement through this morning with a £210 'price adjustment' now applied. The cost of the tow-bar still appears as £1300 though. Perhaps supports my theory that they may be about to increase the price of this option?

When they first added it to the configurator it was at £1300 which was stupid as the shop had the same thing at £1090. Every other country had the two priced the same. They corrected it quickly so I imagine someone just has out of date information. It may well go up, but I think the current problem is a throwback to when introduced.

Does anyone know for sure whether the tow bars are an SC fit or factory fit? In the early days of Model 3 deliveries it was only a factory fit option, but I wonder if it’s now something the SC can/does do?
The tow bar is definitely available as a SC fit, you can see the option in the shop for the same price.

Whether including it at the time of order means it’s done at the factory or not, I’m not sure anybody knows

The M3 and MX were both factory fit only, the MX tow become standard after a few years

Reactions: pdk42
Take with a pinch of salt, but from Tesla:
Someone posted on the Facebook group that they were told by Tesla that future deliveries of model Y will not be able to have the tow bar added after delivery and that you have to specify as a factory fitted option. Does anyone here have info from Tesla on that? Like others I was counting on having it fitted after delivery rather than risk delaying my MYP order by acceptation the "Tow Bar Offer" sent round. I have not managed to get through to Tesla to ask and had no reply to text sent responding to the original "Tow Bar Offer" text.

Someone posted on the Facebook group that they were told by Tesla that future deliveries of model Y will not be able to have the tow bar added after delivery and that you have to specify as a factory fitted option. Does anyone here have info from Tesla on that? Like others I was counting on having it fitted after delivery rather than risk delaying my MYP order by acceptation the "Tow Bar Offer" sent round. I have not managed to get through to Tesla to ask and had no reply to text sent responding to the original "Tow Bar Offer" text.
I think the general rule with “someone at Tesla said..” is ask 20 employees and see how many different answers you get back.

They might have changed it, but it is/was a universal design which simplified things on the production line to get away from customisation where possible, the suggestion now is they have 2 different manufacturing configurations to replace the previous 1. Seems an odd thing to do.

I replied to the message after reading this and someone responded to me. They said we would still be able to add a towbar after delivery by booking a service centre appointment and at present there are no plans to change this for the foreseeable future.

Question that may sound dumb: what exactly are they doing at these service appointments (how long?) and how is it required vs most other cars where you can fit and remove a towbar yourself in your drive?
They’ll be fitting the tow bar socket and electrics. Once that’s in place, you can fit or remove the tow bar itself on your driveway.

This is no different to any other car with a removable tow bar.

I received this towbar offer text around the same time as others and responded ‘Yes’ but have still not received any update. I contacted Tesla before responding and asked it would affect the price and finance and was assured it wouldn’t (other than obviously adding the price of the towbar). They also stated that there would be no impact on the delivery timeline as they are fitted in the UK rather than at the factory.
Contacted a few days after sending the text to chase the revised order and told they were working through them - still not heard.
Anyone else in similar position?
Adding now will mean I can spread the cost on the finance rather than shelling out £1k so hoping I can still sort (will call them again this week).

I received this towbar offer text around the same time as others and responded ‘Yes’ but have still not received any update. I contacted Tesla before responding and asked it would affect the price and finance and was assured it wouldn’t (other than obviously adding the price of the towbar). They also stated that there would be no impact on the delivery timeline as they are fitted in the UK rather than at the factory.
Contacted a few days after sending the text to chase the revised order and told they were working through them - still not heard.
Anyone else in similar position?
Adding now will mean I can spread the cost on the finance rather than shelling out £1k so hoping I can still sort (will call them again this week).
Mine was changed within a few days. If yours hasn't been changed in your specification online then I think it means it hasn't been included. I personally wouldn't be changing spec now with cars incoming!

Reactions: Jpeart