TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tow bar on facelift Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Olle, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Olle

Olle Member

2. Kenriko

Kenriko Member

Rear bumper did not change. You should be ok.

3. dangerbear

dangerbear Member

Got my car two weeks ago and just got this installed today. It fits perfectly. I am very happy with it.

Torklift updated the installation instructions to fit the refreshed rear bumper. They just moved the hole you cut under the bumper forward by half an inch to accommodate the slight change in the bumper shape.

• Informative x 1
  4. Olle

Olle Member

Sounds great. Online at Torklift Central or where buy it?

5. TR5642

TR5642 Member

Are y'all using it to tow or just to put a mount/rack behind the car? I thought the MS was specifically NOT rated for towing anything.

6. Olle

Olle Member

I was planning on just putting a bike rack on the car. In addition to not being listed for towing, there are probably no provisions for wiring for trailers

7. Olle

Olle Member

Awesome. Would you recommend 1.25 or 2" receiver for bike carriers?

8. dangerbear

dangerbear Member

Yup, I ordered the hitch directly from Torklift Central's website. Shipping was super quick.

Don't tow, I just use it with a 1up USA bike rack. I am a mountain biker.

I went with the 1.25" receiver since my current bike rack fits that size. If you already have a bike carrier that requires a 2" receiver then get the big one. The nice thing about this hitch is that you can switch to the other sized receiver by buying the other adapter later for about $100.

The one thing about having a hitch bike rack is that it sets off the rear ultrasonic sensors so no blind spot detection :). I wonder how it works on the X with a bike rack...

9. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Me. I got mine installed today in Oshawa Ontario. Surprisingly, it took them over 4 hours to install just the hitch.

I ended up with the 2" receiver (not my own doing) and it looks HUGE off the tail end of the car. I'd recommend the 1 1/4 receiver.

My car is a '16 refresh and the install went totally fine. Looking forward to towing some bikes around soon!