Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jonesy135

Apr 28, 2021
UK
Moderator comment - thread split from Can a tow bar be fitted after delivery?

Has anyone got any updates on a tow bar on the M3?
Im looking at ordering an M3 in the next few months and will as some-point want to use a bike carrier (probably a Thule)

I'm sure there used to be an option to order a tow package on the 3 for about £1000 - although now it seems to have disappeared.

Ive also seen some M3s (not sure if in the US or UK to be honest) with a panel under the rear bumper that can be removed that has sockets and a tow bar mount already there - I guess the £1000 would be just to turn on the Trailer Mode Function? which might not really be necessary for just a bike rack

any after market tow bars seem to be around £800 anyways so I'd rather just get it straight form Tesla if its only a couple hundred quid different (if they still offer it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone got any updates on a tow bar on the M3?
Im looking at ordering an M3 in the next few months and will as some-point want to use a bike carrier (probably a Thule)

I'm sure there used to be an option to order a tow package on the 3 for about £1000 - although now it seems to have disappeared.

Ive also seen some M3s (not sure if in the US or UK to be honest) with a panel under the rear bumper that can be removed that has sockets and a tow bar mount already there - I guess the £1000 would be just to turn on the Trailer Mode Function? which might not really be necessary for just a bike rack

any after market tow bars seem to be around £800 anyways so I'd rather just get it straight form Tesla if its only a couple hundred quid different (if they still offer it)

The tow is hardware and software. The plastic panel is there for all cars but there is no structure to attach. When you've paid for a tow bar you get the hardware adaptations to the rear cross member with 13 pin connector socket for electronics, a removable Westafalia manufactured removable tow bar and the necessary screen software adaptations relevant to the installation.

I'm afraid you can't install one aftermarket ... well you could illegally install one I suppose but then your car isn't insured and your warranty is void.

Reactions: Georgeinrhu
The tow is hardware and software. The plastic panel is there for all cars but there is no structure to attach. When you've paid for a tow bar you get the hardware adaptations to the rear cross member with 13 pin connector socket for electronics, a removable Westafalia manufactured removable tow bar and the necessary screen software adaptations relevant to the installation.

I'm afraid you can't install one aftermarket ... well you could illegally install one I suppose but then your car isn't insured and your warranty is void.
Just one addendum to this. Any M3 not factory specced with a tow bar will be 0kg towing rated, therefore won’t legally be allowed to tow, even if an aftermarket tow bar is fitted. However, that doesn’t stop someone from fitting an aftermarket tow bar and using a bike carrier on this (as long as it’s not one with wheels, as that’s technically towing). It’s still not great, though, as the car won’t have the 13 pin connector to control lights on the carrier. This is what the aftermarket kits you’ll have seen available are for.

If buying new, I would hold out for an M3 with a tow bar. I’ve heard these are available “off menu”, so if you call Tesla they might be able to match you to an inventory car (on a ship on its way from Shanghai) that has a tow bar. I think someone mentioned only LRs are available, at the moment, though?

Ive contacted Tesla and they say that a tow hitch is still available - but not through the website - you need to place your order then get in touch with them to add it on.

Interestingly (and this may have just been a sales tactic I guess) The rep I spoke to said
"All I would say that it is possible this option will be phased out completely soon and I wouldn't want you to miss out"

Removing this option completely would suck!

I wonder if they've run low / out of stock of tow hitches, or they're saving them for Berlin Model Y perhaps? In the past they've removed some options from certain specs, like white interior on SR+ at one point last year. Looking at France as well as GB, they're both coming from Shanghai and the tow option is no longer on the configurator for either site. When we bought our M3 last month, it was an option for LR & SR+. Never been an option on the performance models.

When I spec'd my car the towhitch kit was £1000 extra. It's £1300 now :(
It comes as a neat, cased, plug-in towball unit that you have to push into the fitting in the removable panel under the boot. The 13-pin socket is next to it - only the first 8 pins are wired (lights only).

Moderator comment - Post merged from "Tow bar option missing from Model 3 custom order page"

I am still deciding whether to purchase a Model 3, and I ocassionally run through the custom order form to see if any prices or options have changed. Today I was doing that and I found that there is no longer an option to add a tow bar.

Is this a change that other know about? Does anyone have any background information? Alternatively, is it more likely to be a temporary Tesla coding glitch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Although expensive, I have used my tow bar extensively collecting wood for the wood burner and giving the local dump a hammering. Its amazing the amount of work you can give a trailer when you have one! :D
I foresee a trailer purchase in my near future to make use of the tow bar on my M3. I didn’t realise the tow bar option would end up costing quite so much! 😅

I think the towbar was £900 on my late 2019 LR. Strange it can’t be configured now. Does that mean all Chinese M3’s can’t have a towbar? I have found it useful for a bike carrier, and considered a trailer tent. But not committed yet. Lack of towbar on M3 will be a big miss!

I'm going to buying a M3 in the nex month, but I discovered that in this moment is not possible to order the hitch.. The italian seller hypothesis is that is not convenient for Tesla... I hope that it is not due to this, a 50.000€ car must (musk!) have this option.. This could me change idea for my buying
If you call Tesla and speak to an advisor, they may still be able to provide a model with tow hitch “off the menu”. If there are models with tow hitch available in inventory, then there’s clearly some knocking around.

Reactions: init6
really pleased I waited ages for my vehicle to arrive due to ordering white interior with tow. agree with @Rustybkts it's giving the tip a real workout and in 3 weeks time I have over a cubic metre of timber cladding boards to collect. because you have to drive very sensibly also and the extra weight helps with energy recovery (sooner/more coasting on very rural up/down roads), I have found it doesn't really hammer the battery that much. It's a revelation !

Search here using the code TW01 in the seatch box (which is the code for the tow hitch) and you'll see there's inventory with them. Its not available on the P in case thats what you were trying to do

• Helpful
Reactions: H Mak and Zigway