Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the model Y was always a retrofit at the SC unlike the model 3 (maybe because some of the receiving hardware has always been present from factory) hence the rating will be present in the logbook. Maybe owners with Model 3's (with factory fitted towbar) could chime in and say what is stated on their logbook.
The logbook states a 1000kg tow rating if it comes with a factory fitted towbar. If this isn’t specced, the tow rating is 0kg, which means one can’t be retrofitted. The suggestion I’ve read is if the towbar isn’t specced, Tesla don’t bother fitting/welding on certain elements of the rear structure that are required to attach the towbar. In the case of the Y, the rear casting is one big piece, so is suitable to tow even with the standard part.

Edit: I know a towbar can physically be retrofitted to the M3, however this isn’t suitable for towing and can only be used for bike carriers.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977
The logbook states a 1000kg tow rating if it comes with a factory fitted towbar. If this isn’t specced, the tow rating is 0kg, which means one can’t be retrofitted. The suggestion I’ve read is if the towbar isn’t specced, Tesla don’t bother fitting/welding on certain elements of the rear structure that are required to attach the towbar.
I would be amazed if there is a chassis build option for tow bar as for years they left non-working speakers etc on the SR+ designed for LR and P's. Surely if a car model is homologated for towing, all of that model can have the tow bar bolted on, even if it has to be SC installed due to software changes as the car does detect the trailer lights and disables AP.

My guess is that they don't wish to increase the workload on SC's. I'm sure Westphalia can supply.

I had a BM M3 many moons ago and although the M3 wasn't homologated to tow, all other Series 3 are and a series 3 tow bar installed perfectly to factory tow hitch points so I would expect the Model 3 to be similar.

I would be amazed if there is a chassis build option for tow bar as for years they left non-working speakers etc on the SR+ designed for LR and P's. Surely if a car model is homologated for towing, all of that model can have the tow bar bolted on, even if it has to be SC installed due to software changes as the car does detect the trailer lights and disables AP.

My guess is that they don't wish to increase the workload on SC's. I'm sure Westphalia can supply.

I had a BM M3 many moons ago and although the M3 wasn't homologated to tow, all other Series 3 are and a series 3 tow bar installed perfectly to factory tow hitch points so I would expect the Model 3 to be similar.
Problem is the car without tow bar spec is not rated to tow, so it’ll never be legal to tow. On the other hand, the Y can’t have a tow bar from new, however the order page specifically states one can be added post delivery.

Problem is the car without tow bar spec is not rated to tow, so it’ll never be legal to tow. On the other hand, the Y can’t have a tow bar from new, however the order page specifically states one can be added post delivery.

This seems to be an oddity specific to Tesla and even more odd that the Y can have a tow bar after delivery when not ordered with one.
A very large proportion of ICE's are homologated to tow so how are they rated on the sticker just inside the door. My car has a tow bar and a 1000kg tow rating on the sticker whereas the non tow cars have a 0 rating.
I wonder how ICE's not fitted with a tow bar but are allowed to tow are labelled? I know it often does state the tow rating in the manual.

Wish mine was like that. The M3 tow hitch is behind the bumper installed vertical along with the socket and both are a bugger to use. You have to grovel/get wet knees and the Euro standard socket is a real pain to plug in with the twist lock action.
My concern is the electrics socket pointing straight down, on a car that’s already reasonably low. We pick up our folding camper in March/April and that will be our first experience of towing. I’m hoping we don’t ground out the plug. 😐

This seems to be an oddity specific to Tesla and even more odd that the Y can have a tow bar after delivery when not ordered with one.
A very large proportion of ICE's are homologated to tow so how are they rated on the sticker just inside the door. My car has a tow bar and a 1000kg tow rating on the sticker whereas the non tow cars have a 0 rating.
I wonder how ICE's not fitted with a tow bar but are allowed to tow are labelled? I know it often does state the tow rating in the manual.
Its whatever is stated on your log book. Manuals aren't always specific to the model albeit covered in the manual. Also not specific to tesla. Plenty of ice cars have a tow rating in the logbook even though they didn't come out with a factory fitted tow bar.

I think the companies you mention are talked about here Tesla Model S Towing The article is about MS but the companies and policies will be similar

To save clicking the links its Rameder for a bike rack type hook and misterdotcom for a TUV approved one

Has anyone had any further updates on this? Misterdotcom still say they are finalising their Model 3 product, after a bit of a hitch...

Did anyone get a Model S version and successfully insure it in the UK with the TÜV certificate?