Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike rack for model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In response to earlier posts about the 160 lb limit being only "implied" by the bike rack... Tesla actually directly states a 160 lb limit on their support page here: Model Y Tow Package | Tesla Support "When using the tow package to carry accessories, the 2 x 2 inch (5 x 5 centimeter) square hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 160 pounds."

To those saying it's no different than a trailer tongue... that is not correct. Trailers provide a rather static load vertically, while a bike rack acts as a big bouncing lever arm and thus has a very high dynamic load while the car is driving.

Do I think 160 lbs is conservative? Yeah, but it's not completely unfounded either.
I know this is several months old.

I wanted carry my 2 E-Bikes on my 2023 Model Y and I read this exact same thing as above. With my rack and 2 bikes I'm approx at 173bs.

Is the 160# vertical load for the Tesla brand hitch or for any hitch installed. Or is it the car itself that has the 160# vertical load limit. (I've searched for that answer).
The Draw Tite hitch # DT58MR has 3500# towing and a 525# tongue weight, it also looks like it installs differently than the Tesla brand hitch.
You can watch the instal video here - https://www.etrailer.com/p-DT58MR.html

I know this is several months old.

I wanted carry my 2 E-Bikes on my 2023 Model Y and I read this exact same thing as above. With my rack and 2 bikes I'm approx at 173bs.

Is the 160# vertical load for the Tesla brand hitch or for any hitch installed. Or is it the car itself that has the 160# vertical load limit. (I've searched for that answer).
The Draw Tite hitch # DT58MR has 3500# towing and a 525# tongue weight, it also looks like it installs differently than the Tesla brand hitch.
You can watch the instal video here - https://www.etrailer.com/p-DT58MR.html
I believe the 160lbs limit is do to the vehicle and not the hitch. Also that hitch you mentioned has a 525# tongue weight limit. That is much different than vertical limit. I also carry 2 e-bikes but I remove the batteries to keep me under the limit