Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike rack for model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4 bike racks are tricky. The weight limit on the factory hitch is only 160 pounds. Most 4 bike racks weigh 50+ pounds and if you have anything but the lighter road bikes, it’s very easy to get over the weight limit.

I like 1Up racks, but when you get 4 bikes on the back, they are sticking out pretty far and there is a lot of weight out there. I don’t think the Kuat racks are any better.

4 bike racks are tricky. The weight limit on the factory hitch is only 160 pounds. Most 4 bike racks weigh 50+ pounds and if you have anything but the lighter road bikes, it’s very easy to get over the weight limit.

I like 1Up racks, but when you get 4 bikes on the back, they are sticking out pretty far and there is a lot of weight out there. I don’t think the Kuat racks are any better.
Well said.

I just purchased the Kuat V2 3-bike in another thread and it weighs 51 lbs, giving me just enough weight budget for two cruisers and a hybrid or road bike. No way I could do it with a 4-bike Kuat.

That said, the Hollywood Destination 4 platform rack weighs only 42 lbs and could theoretically carry four hybrid or road bikes and stay under the 160-lb total vertical weight limit. I returned it only because it uses a threaded anti-rattle pin, which made it near impossible to use a lockable pin with the stock OEM hitch (due to the towing electrical plug being in the way). If locking the rack to the hitch is not important, or you use an aftermarket hitch, then the Destination 4 rack is probably your best bet for a platform style rack for four bikes. Otherwise, there’s the lockable Allen 4-bike hanging style rack. I have used it in the past but there’s risk of the bikes rubbing against each other and you’d need a special bar to hang step-thru bikes.

Amazon.com

Here’s a pic of the Hollywood Destination 4 and Tesla OEM hitch. It installs fine with threaded anti-rattle pin fully in and a cotter pin, but won’t fit with a key lock. Hollywood customer service suggested going out and picking up several extra thick washers to use on the right side but I didn’t bother since it was still difficult to insert the key in the lock on the left and apparently there isn’t a compatible 90-degree lock due to the threaded pin design.

44D554B2-5477-4D41-9115-F1FCBDE291DD.jpeg
73972B30-DEEF-42A8-A836-054CC0BE6F37.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDEWD250
Well said.

I just purchased the Kuat V2 3-bike in another thread and it weighs 51 lbs, giving me just enough weight budget for two cruisers and a hybrid or road bike. No way I could do it with a 4-bike Kuat.

That said, the Hollywood Destination 4 platform rack weighs only 42 lbs and could theoretically carry four hybrid or road bikes and stay under the 160-lb total vertical weight limit. I returned it only because it uses a threaded anti-rattle pin, which made it near impossible to use a lockable pin with the stock OEM hitch (due to the towing electrical plug being in the way). If locking the rack to the hitch is not important, or you use an aftermarket hitch, then the Destination 4 rack is probably your best bet for a platform style rack for four bikes. Otherwise, there’s the lockable Allen 4-bike hanging style rack. I have used it in the past but there’s risk of the bikes rubbing against each other and you’d need a special bar to hang step-thru bikes.

Amazon.com

Here’s a pic of the Hollywood Destination 4 and Tesla OEM hitch. It installs fine with threaded anti-rattle pin fully in and a cotter pin, but won’t fit with a key lock. Hollywood customer service suggested going out and picking up several extra thick washers to use on the right side but I didn’t bother since it was still difficult to insert the key in the lock on the left and apparently there isn’t a compatible 90-degree lock due to the threaded pin design.

View attachment 789418View attachment 789419

Thank you so much for the information! Am I understanding that the weight limit on the hitch itself is only 160 lbs? Also, is it better to get the platform bike rack or the hanging one? The hanging one should be lighter, but I am not sure what is stopping the bikes from swinging and hitting each other or the car. Looked at the roof racks but they could probably fit no more than 2 bikes.

Thank you so much for the information! Am I understanding that the weight limit on the hitch itself is only 160 lbs? Also, is it better to get the platform bike rack or the hanging one? The hanging one should be lighter, but I am not sure what is stopping the bikes from swinging and hitting each other or the car. Looked at the roof racks but they could probably fit no more than 2 bikes.
Right, even though the Model Y factory hitch is rated for 350-lb tongue weight when towing, it is different for something like bike racks. Based on specs of the Tesla OEM bike rack, it is believed we only have 160 total pounds to work with (weight of bike rack + bikes).

As for hanging versus platform rack, only you can decide. My 4-bike lockable, anti-rattle hanging rack was $104, whereas my 3-bike Kuat platform rack is $549. Quite a price difference but after installing the Kuat I have zero regrets paying the higher price. I definitely collected several scratches on my road bike from the hanging rack. At the time only my bike was considered “nice”. Now that the family all has new and nicer bikes from a real bike store, we want to take better care of them. If I was just carrying bikes from Walmart then I’d keep using the hanging style rack. This isn’t to put down anyone as I certainly had department store bikes at one time. If you have nicer bikes then I’d say get a nicer rack too.

The Kuat platform rack is super easy and quick to load/unload all our bikes whereas it took 20 minutes to secure bikes with cords, ties, and straps on our hanging style rack, and then 20 minutes to undo everything when unloading. Time is money and after using the Kuat it was clear how much of a hassle the hanging style rack is and the latter still allowed scratches and bike contact.

Last edited:
How can this be?! 160lbs max weight!?! I was planning on transporting four bikes occasionally!… the only reason i got the hitch actually is for bikes! Lol. Confused how tongue weight differs from a bike rack.. It can pull 3500lbs (supposedly) surely it can hold more than 160lbs!…?

How can this be?! 160lbs max weight!?! I was planning on transporting four bikes occasionally!… the only reason i got the hitch actually is for bikes! Lol. Confused how tongue weight differs from a bike rack.. It can pull 3500lbs (supposedly) surely it can hold more than 160lbs!…?
The weight of bikes hanging off a lever and exerting a torque force is different than towing something that is supported on its own wheels and with a max 350-lb tongue weight close to the hitch point.

I got the OEM hitch just to carry bikes too and was shocked after learning of the non-towing vertical weight limit. Refer to Tesla’s own bike rack disclaimer. Most understand it as 40+120 = 160-lb bike rack limit.

Model X/Y Hitch Rack

01A06AEA-6CF6-427E-B977-826ADFA4DA15.jpeg

CNET’s review of the 2021 Model Y while towing also makes mention of the 350-lb and 160-lb tongue and bike rack limits, respectively.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/2021-tesla-model-y-long-term-update-range-towing/

Last edited:
I definitely prefer the platform type racks, but the
I occasionally haul 4 bikes with my 1Up rack. Only for short distances and I won't do a bunch of heavier mountain bikes this way.

If 4 bikes is your goal. You might seriously consider a vertical bike rack. It keeps the weight more forward and manageable and avoids the issues you get with typical hanging racks.

1649114403425.png

They tend to be more affordable and lighter than 4 rail platform racks too.

Reactions: bastrd_steve
The factory hitch can generally speaking hold a bit more weight than the rating implies. If you're really serious, get an aftermarket hitch with a 350lb rating.

Found this info on the bike rack I was planning on using for a 400km bike trip this summer.
our bikes all weigh roughly 30-35lbs so I’m guessing this isn’t gonna fly. Would probably be fine but risking damage to the new car and the roughly $30k in bikes, I think we’ll have to take my buddy’s truck instead🤷‍♂️

VERTICAL BIKE RACK REQUIREMENTS​

• VelociRAX require a class III two inch hitch with a capacity of 500 lbs and 3 - 3/8 inch (86mm) depth past center of hitch pin hole to insert.
  • All VelociRAX models can carry 230 lbs. (bike weight)
  • Each bike slot can carry up to 55 lbs.

Found this info on the bike rack I was planning on using for a 400km bike trip this summer.
our bikes all weigh roughly 30-35lbs so I’m guessing this isn’t gonna fly. Would probably be fine but risking damage to the new car and the roughly $30k in bikes, I think we’ll have to take my buddy’s truck instead🤷‍♂️

VERTICAL BIKE RACK REQUIREMENTS​

• VelociRAX require a class III two inch hitch with a capacity of 500 lbs and 3 - 3/8 inch (86mm) depth past center of hitch pin hole to insert.
  • All VelociRAX models can carry 230 lbs. (bike weight)
  • Each bike slot can carry up to 55 lbs.
The NorthShore rack isn't nearly as deluxe as the VelociRAX, but the 4 slot rack only weighs 50 pounds.

So you can haul 110 pounds of bikes and be within limits. I'd be fine with doing that for 3 bikes regularly and 4 bikes occasionally.

Of course my bikes weigh 29-32 pounds. Ebikes or portly downhill bikes you probably wouldn't even get 3 without hitting the max weight.

PS: Hauling bikes is a big part of why I want the Cybertruck!

This seems like such a low price for what they are offering. Anyone see this or have it?
It is not a particularly low price for a bent piece of steel tubing and a few bits of rubber. You get what you pay for.

If you value your bikes, you won’t use that. It’s also not particularly compatible with a lot of bike types so make sure it works with yours.