Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike rack for model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is annoying with a bike rack is that you can't turn off the warnings about parking sensons being block and parking assist not working well. Also having to put it in trailer mode every day is annoying.
You can turn those warnings off, it was one of the first things I chased down.

It used to be under: Controls > Safety & Security > Parking Chimes

But it might have moved due to version 11 updates.

As for trailer mode, it disables Autopilot so I never use it with the bike rack.

You can turn those warnings off, it was one of the first things I chased down.

It used to be under: Controls > Safety & Security > Parking Chimes

But it might have moved due to version 11 updates.

As for trailer mode, it disables Autopilot so I never use it with the bike rack.
The chimes turn off when I enter into trailer mode, but the warnings continue to pop up on the left side of the screen. Also, I have to go into trailer mode every time that I stop the car and then get back in. This is a pain in the ass as I plan on keeping the rack on between now and October every year...

The chimes turn off when I enter into trailer mode, but the warnings continue to pop up on the left side of the screen. Also, I have to go into trailer mode every time that I stop the car and then get back in. This is a pain in the ass as I plan on keeping the rack on between now and October every year...
Like I said, disable the chimes. Once you disable them they don't come back on. This is not via trailer mode. This is a separate thing in the menus.

The warnings will show because the sensors are blocked, but the chimes are gone. You would need to enter trailer mode to avoid the on-screen warnings. I just tune them out.

It's not great. I wish there was a "Rack Mode" where it just acknowledged the rear sensors were going to be obstructed.

I'm just using this as an excuse to get lighter bikes 🤷‍♂️

We've a Model Y on order with the factory hitch option, my 4 bike rack without any bikes already weights 66lb. Right now, we could probably only get my bike / my wife's bike on it as they are both heavy-ish comfort bikes. I'm on the lookout for a light-er weight road bike for myself, something a bit lighter for my wife, and the other two are kids bikes at the moment.

• Love
Reactions: Ogre
Man I’m super annoyed I didn’nt know about this when I spec’ed my Model Y (have had it for two months now but haven’t used my bike rack). I have a 1up Equip D bike rack which is amazing along w/ 2 more additional racks to get to a 4 bike capacity. When fully equipped I’d be at 100ish lbs before the bikes. So the Y is fine for transporting 2 bikes but I’m a family of 4. This means we still have to keep the X5. Is 160lb below normal? I’ve never heard of this consideration before with a tow package. While I’ve generally been happy with the Y, this is yet another compromise that makes me think I can’t keep this car in the long run.

This is the rack I have which has fantastic reviews all around.
1up Rack

Thank you so much for the information! Am I understanding that the weight limit on the hitch itself is only 160 lbs? Also, is it better to get the platform bike rack or the hanging one? The hanging one should be lighter, but I am not sure what is stopping the bikes from swinging and hitting each other or the car. Looked at the roof racks but they could probably fit no more than 2 bikes.

I don't believe the weight limit is actually 160 lbs on the Model Y's 2" receiver.

Every argument I've seen online about this is based on the Tesla bike rack's weight limits. But the Tesla rack is made for a 1.25" hitch, it only fits into the MY by use of a 2" adapter. This is likely the reason why the Tesla rack has such a limiting weight rating, NOT because of the car's receiver itself!

Tesla's official statement about the car's receiver says it has a 350-lb tongue weigh rating. I see lots of people claiming tongue weight limit does NOT equal vertical weight limit, but from a mechanical point of view they are one and the same. Tongue weight is the weight a trailer can exert vertically on a receiver, so the Model Y should be able to hold a bike rack + bikes weighing 350 lbs total.

Case in point, I have a friend who owns a MY and uses a Quikr Stuff bike rack with four bike capacity, and he regularly carries four RadRover e-bikes (I think they are all RadRovers....). From my quick guestimate math:

Quikr Mach 2: 30 lbs
(3) Additional Bike Pods: 66 lbs (22 lbs each)
(4) E-bikes: about 240 lbs? (60 lbs each)

Total: 30+66+240 = 336 lbs total weight

He's carried that loaded bike rack into multiple states with the kids on long road trips and has not had any issue with the rack or hitch, it's been stable as a rock.

Oh and the rack he has, the Quikr Stuff Mach 2, it's real nice. Sadly it's also expensive with a long backorder and wait time too, but it's a great rack.

I don't believe the weight limit is actually 160 lbs on the Model Y's 2" receiver.

Every argument I've seen online about this is based on the Tesla bike rack's weight limits. But the Tesla rack is made for a 1.25" hitch, it only fits into the MY by use of a 2" adapter. This is likely the reason why the Tesla rack has such a limiting weight rating, NOT because of the car's receiver itself!

Tesla's official statement about the car's receiver says it has a 350-lb tongue weigh rating. I see lots of people claiming tongue weight limit does NOT equal vertical weight limit, but from a mechanical point of view they are one and the same. Tongue weight is the weight a trailer can exert vertically on a receiver, so the Model Y should be able to hold a bike rack + bikes weighing 350 lbs total.

Case in point, I have a friend who owns a MY and uses a Quikr Stuff bike rack with four bike capacity, and he regularly carries four RadRover e-bikes (I think they are all RadRovers....). From my quick guestimate math:

He's carried that loaded bike rack into multiple states with the kids on long road trips and has not had any issue with the rack or hitch, it's been stable as a rock.

Oh and the rack he has, the Quikr Stuff Mach 2, it's real nice. Sadly it's also expensive with a long backorder and wait time too, but it's a great rack.

You may be on to something here. Additionally, I found a Model Y thread on Reddit (not sure if I’m allowed to link there or not, so I won’t unless told otherwise) that mentioned vertical weight and tongue weight are essentially the same thing, and that 350lb converted to kilograms is almost 160 (158.76kg) and wonder if the Tesla docs on vertical weight is a typo.

Reactions: Mengy

I have this same rack and yes, it is expensive and there is a long backlog, but just think of it as purchasing a tesla! About the same as far as expense and wait time.

Although not the 4 bike one; I have the Kuat NV 2.0 for my e Bikes and it works perfect.

IMG_2123.jpg

Reactions: rivets
Thinking of purchasing this rack for my 2 ebikes https://motowus.com/product/double-ebike-bike-carrier/ . It's light (only 27lbs) and can hold up to 200lbs (important for hauling ebikes).

I'm getting my hitch installed this weekend by Tesla so I can't check myself, but could someone with the OEM hitch please help me figure out if the pinhole of the hitch is equal to or less than 4-1/2” from pin hole to outside edge of bumper?

Want to order this thing ASAP for a trip coming up and if I wait for the weekend it might not come up in time.

Thanks!

The rack I'm looking to buy is this:

Hollywood Sport Rider. It's very similar to the one WyomingEV posted above but it has a bit more weight rating, plus the wheel cradles are metal instead of plastic.

I have a KAC rack that is extremely similar to that one. I posted a few notes about it HERE.

It works great on my wife's X. I since got a Y, and I'm slightly less pleased - less because of the rack, and more because of the way the hitch is recessed on the Y. Most racks will be more of a pain to install with the Y's recessed design; it's a slight inconvenience for most people, but a literal pain for me (joint disease). So I have a Quikrstuff Mach 2 on order.

You may be on to something here. Additionally, I found a Model Y thread on Reddit (not sure if I’m allowed to link there or not, so I won’t unless told otherwise) that mentioned vertical weight and tongue weight are essentially the same thing, and that 350lb converted to kilograms is almost 160 (158.76kg) and wonder if the Tesla docs on vertical weight is a typo.
Can you link the thread and/or DM? Would like to better understand this as I'm carrying quite a few ebikes.

One more vote for the 1up USA racks. They are expensive but also one of the few racks that are safe to use on carbon frames and carbon wheels. They’re super easy to load by just sliding the bikes into the wheel trays and because they clamp down and exert force on the outside of the wheels, they won’t damage the bike frame (like racks which clamp down over the top tube) or the internal fairing of a carbon wheel which is not designed for pressure on the inside of the rim (such as in racks with straps that cinch down through the wheel). I have a 2-bike model with two additional add-ons and they can fit little 20” tire kids bikes and 29” mountain bikes, and everything in between.