Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike rack for model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent read this whole post but someone posted a 160 lbs max weight limit on the hitch receiver ? That is idiotic. Was that for the Tesla bike rack itself, that it can only hold 160# ? Or were you trying to say the hitch receiver itself (made out of 1/2" thick cold rolled, bolted into the frame with bolts large enough to also incorporate the tow eye suitable for about 10,000 lbs vertical load) can only hold 160 ? What the hell are you guys smoking ? Ive carried prob 500 lbs of dirtbikes on the receiver, and then jumped my fat 200 lb ass up and down on it ... it doesnt move, its prob the strongest thing on the whole car since they didnt optimize weight.

I believe it if you told me Telsa has under-engineered their gourmet over-priced bike hitch, and it only holds 160 lbs worth of bikes ... but i ASSURE you the hitch receiver itself could take probably take double the weight of the entire vehicle. Remember, the rear tow eye is incorporated into the rear bumper, which mounts using ... gasp ... the exact same bolts that also install the tow hitch. They had to design that connection to lift a 5,000 lb tesla vertically up a cliff, sometimes filled with mud and water.

The hitch receiver is designed per industry standards, you would NEVER distort or otherwise inflict damage on the receiver, or its mounting bolts into the frame. You would bottom and crush the rear suspension LONG before that receiver or its mounting bolts would yield. You are seriously off by a factor of like 100 here on the amount of load that receiver could take before it failed ...

What is entirely likely, however, is if you load the hell out of the rear end of the vehicle, it upsets the weight/balance of the vehicle and at high speeds the front end could get light, causing the sine wave to occur (which is never fun). Bottom line - you are more than safe to load vertically to to the rated tongue weight of 350, and most likely far beyond. But ... dont be stupid and load it heavy in the rear then go into full track driving mode on the street. If you load it up to 350 or so, you drop the rear end ride height, so big bumps at high speed could cause you to hit the bump stops and make for an even worse ride than usual.

Just picked up my MY performance and I want to buy a 4 bike rack for the tow hitch. Looking for recommendations on what to buy. Thank you!
We've been using a Thule rack for the last several vehicles and it's sturdy but light. This link is for their 4 bike rack. One thing to be aware of though is that the different geometries of the bikes can interfere with each other. I can fit our 2 gravel grinders on the Thule but also have to add some foam pieces to elevate my wife's handlebars to make the setup work. So try before you buy!

Well said.

I just purchased the Kuat V2 3-bike in another thread and it weighs 51 lbs, giving me just enough weight budget for two cruisers and a hybrid or road bike. No way I could do it with a 4-bike Kuat.

That said, the Hollywood Destination 4 platform rack weighs only 42 lbs and could theoretically carry four hybrid or road bikes and stay under the 160-lb total vertical weight limit. I returned it only because it uses a threaded anti-rattle pin, which made it near impossible to use a lockable pin with the stock OEM hitch (due to the towing electrical plug being in the way). If locking the rack to the hitch is not important, or you use an aftermarket hitch, then the Destination 4 rack is probably your best bet for a platform style rack for four bikes. Otherwise, there’s the lockable Allen 4-bike hanging style rack. I have used it in the past but there’s risk of the bikes rubbing against each other and you’d need a special bar to hang step-thru bikes.

Amazon.com

Here’s a pic of the Hollywood Destination 4 and Tesla OEM hitch. It installs fine with threaded anti-rattle pin fully in and a cotter pin, but won’t fit with a key lock. Hollywood customer service suggested going out and picking up several extra thick washers to use on the right side but I didn’t bother since it was still difficult to insert the key in the lock on the left and apparently there isn’t a compatible 90-degree lock due to the threaded pin design.

View attachment 789418View attachment 789419
For the Hollywood destination 4 bike rack, you can buy any right angle lock and it’ll work. I bought the curt (blue color) right angle lock and it fits.

Got the Hollywood because it’s light (42 lbs) and pretty cheap (so are my bikes), not sure if I even need to buy that lock, haha

Attachments

• 678332D1-504D-43CD-9103-2D251CDBFDF4.jpeg
    678332D1-504D-43CD-9103-2D251CDBFDF4.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 21BA4B8B-EC37-4056-A06E-54660BA744F2.jpeg
    21BA4B8B-EC37-4056-A06E-54660BA744F2.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 286
43189A33-95BB-44E4-B7D7-5ED84406D79C.jpeg

I currently use the Yakima full tilt. It holds 4 bikes and I use the Yakima bike bar for all 3 bikes but my youngest bike goes in the trunk as it’s still too small. I’m happy with this setup. Although the red Yakima logo is a bit much, still think it will look good when I combine that with a Yakima roof product. The Tesla bike rack is more reserved with the Tesla logo and small Tesla name on it.

Reactions: vet757
It's a KTM 300 XC-W dirtbike, weighs about 245 lbs.
The rack itself is about another 45lbs, so probably 290-300lbs total depending on attachments, gas tank lvl, etc... I have a similar set up for my Husky FE501S. It's about 310lbs at the tongue. All the other noise about 160lbs max weight for the hitch with a bike rack is probably around twisting torque when cornering, not purely downward weight on the hitch. I haven't assessed my hitch yet, but I'm guessing anyone would be ok doing the dirt bike like in the pic as long as they stayed calm in the corners.

Reactions: agmonaco
The rack itself is about another 45lbs, so probably 290-300lbs total depending on attachments, gas tank lvl, etc... I have a similar set up for my Husky FE501S. It's about 310lbs at the tongue. All the other noise about 160lbs max weight for the hitch with a bike rack is probably around twisting torque when cornering, not purely downward weight on the hitch. I haven't assessed my hitch yet, but I'm guessing anyone would be ok doing the dirt bike like in the pic as long as they stayed calm in the corners.
And don't go off-road... ;)

Here is the new QuikrSuff Rack on my Model Y. As you can see there is plenty of space between the rack and the car. I used a right angle lock from my 1Up Rack. Getting a lock in place is really hard due to the wire plug. I have small hands and can barely get my hand in to connect the lock onto the shaft of the lock. Other than that, this is the best rack. It’s fixed all the small issues with the 1Up rack. It’s expensive and hard to get. But if you can afford it and get it, you can’t beat it.
93EF027D-9E5E-4F6F-A9BD-24D4B0AD13DC.jpeg
8C565ED5-B34F-490A-8296-2773B2EFFB5D.jpeg

Reactions: akidesir and ChadS
Here is the new QuikrSuff Rack on my Model Y. As you can see there is plenty of space between the rack and the car. I used a right angle lock from my 1Up Rack. Getting a lock in place is really hard due to the wire plug. I have small hands and can barely get my hand in to connect the lock onto the shaft of the lock. Other than that, this is the best rack. It’s fixed all the small issues with the 1Up rack. It’s expensive and hard to get. But if you can afford it and get it, you can’t beat it.View attachment 824542View attachment 824543
I’ve heard amazing things about this rack. I have a 1up and love it but I’m thinking of changing to this. What is your opinion of this rack?

I’ve heard amazing things about this rack. I have a 1up and love it but I’m thinking of changing to this. What is your opinion of this rack?
It is great. I have a 1Up which is a great rack. It this one is just better. Everything is easier and smoother than with the 1Up. I love how you can change the length of the arms without any tools. If you can get one, you have to be patient, you won’t regret it. And as you can see, you can use use with fenders as well.

I used a right angle lock from my 1Up Rack. Getting a lock in place is really hard due to the wire plug. I have small hands and can barely get my hand in to connect the lock onto the shaft of the lock.

Thanks a lot for the pictures and information! (Especially since I have the same fenders on my bike). BTW, HERE is a video someone posted about installing one on a Model Y.

Do you feel you need the locking pin? The Quikrstuff rack has a built-in lock, and a retaining pin just in case the rack was to vibrate loose. I've been hoping that's good enough for security from falling as well as from theft - I have fairly large hands and a lot of arthritis in my fingers, so I'm hoping the Quikrstuff rack (I have one on order) will keep me from having to stuff my hands in to that little hole.

When I first got the rack, I removed the attached pull pin and placed it on the right side because the wire plug in was in the way. It didn't work at all. I think they must have changed the pin or I got one that wasn't "springy" enough. Since seeing that video, I contacted them and they are sending me a new pin. If it goes into the hole like it shows in the video, then the lock is plenty. Once I get it, I'll let you know. I should have it in the next week. And I just had to put the rack back on my car and was swearing at Tesla for such poor design.

Reactions: ChadS
In response to earlier posts about the 160 lb limit being only "implied" by the bike rack... Tesla actually directly states a 160 lb limit on their support page here: Model Y Tow Package | Tesla Support "When using the tow package to carry accessories, the 2 x 2 inch (5 x 5 centimeter) square hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 160 pounds."

To those saying it's no different than a trailer tongue... that is not correct. Trailers provide a rather static load vertically, while a bike rack acts as a big bouncing lever arm and thus has a very high dynamic load while the car is driving.

Do I think 160 lbs is conservative? Yeah, but it's not completely unfounded either.

I am going to sell my QuikrStuff rack as I no longer have my Tesla and my new Polestar has a 1-1/4” hitch. I paid $679 for the rack and only used it 3 times. In perfect condition. Will sell for $500. Hoping someone in Portland Metro can pick up. I have the shipping box as I store it in that so I can ship but the cost will be passed on. Might be expensive as it weighs about 30 lbs. it’s a single bike but they sell add-on trays. The base rack they sell is single rack with add-ones. Great rack as I’ve purchased the 1-1/4” version.
F9A1A43C-84E2-4B70-AD1E-2475893B6CE6.jpeg