Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch bike racks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure where the 55kg weight restriction comes from, maybe it's a regulation thing?? The maximum noise weight is 91kg and it can drag around a ton of weight on wheels while accommodating that 91kg, so it's not going to snap off with four bikes on it, and I'm sure a bike rack designed to accommodate four bikes isn't going to fall off if you have more than 55kg total, so it's a bit baffling.

Its not a regulation thing as I can get the exact same tow hitch from the manufacturer for my car and no difference in weight from nose weight.

Tesla did the same on Model X - maybe its something to do with the aluminum body it is attached to?

You say that, but you can fit a "tow bar" legally to a car that does not have one for accessories like bike racks, but it has to have a spike on the top to make sure you can't hitch a caravan/trailer (some bike racks have a hole to accommodate the spike) and I believe there's a weight limit there is around 55kg, so it could be Tesla have confused the regulation. The nose weight is 91kg so it can take a 91kg downward force while being tugged about. I'm not sure anyone would enforce a secondary nose weight either?

The nose weight is 91kg so it can take a 91kg downward force while being tugged about. I'm not sure anyone would enforce a secondary nose weight either?

It took best part of 6 months for this info to appear in the Model 3 manual. The original UK relevent manual had no mention and we were only tipped off of the possibility of reduced bike rack weight by a Model X owner posting here. I personally just think that Tesla are just arse covering, just like with all the other exclusions about using non Tesla approved accessories - a list of 0 last time I looked. Basically, they sell a tow hitch which will invalidate parts of your warranty the moment you attach anything to it.

I do however believe that 55kg at spread over 1m off axis puts a completely different force on the hitch than 92kg(?) downward or 920kg(?) horizontal. I did the maths once.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Bike Racks"

Can anyone recommend a good tow-hitch mounted bike rack for the M3, ideally one which can carry three bikes? It might seem a bit optimistic now, but I’m planning to take the kids out for a few decent rides once lockdown has been relaxed sufficiently.

Last edited by a moderator:
My needs were for a 2 bike rack able to hold a 20kg e-bike, but my choices also had 3 bike versions. I also bought before taking delivery of the car and so far, apart from a brief test run, it has not been used in anger.

Other caveats. First, the electrics are 13 pin contrary to the 7 pin mentioned in the manual - its actually 7 pins of a 13 pin setup that are used. Second, the Tesla tow bars are significantly downrated when used for carrying non supported accessories - iirc 55kg for the max combined weight of tow rack plus all bikes. Many towbar bike racks are around 15-18kg.

I initially bought a Thule VeloCompact 2 bike version. It was clear that after putting the box inside our then Passat estate, that should I want to keep the bike rack off the car when parked, it probably would not have fitted in the boot so was returned for exchange without unboxing.

So it was returned for a Thule EasyFold XT, 2 bike version. With the VeloCompact, I was already into 'this is expensive' territory, and it was even worse with the EasyFold. Thankfully, things were made more palatable by a Halfords price match plus AA discount plus a bank holiday flash sale discount. Otherwise, the rack looks great, was dead easy to fit to the tow ball and foot based tilt mechanism works well and im sure will be an invaluable feature. Wiring may need a bit of care to avoid the cable snagging. Well made and importantly for a heavy e-bike, sturdy. I was fortunate to see the Thule VeloCompact side by side with a lesser price Thule version and it was clear where the additional cost went - I don't think the lesser priced version could have taken the weight of an e-bike. Not so important with lighter bikes. The other great feature is its ability to fold easily. I see no trouble with it fitting in the boot and it is east to store. 3 bike version even comes with caster. The downside - its heavy, but thats because of its sturdy construction. But I think most tow hitch carriers where the bike sits on are heavy.

More here and a pic Tow Hitch Waiting Room

Last edited:
For 2 bike version, I paid somewhere between 400 and 450 - can't remember exactly and it was complicated with the return. But I got price match, plus 10% AA discount and an extra bank holiday flash sale discount. Looks like Halfords just put their price up today as it was 4xx earlier - probably due to a price match being revised. Currently its ~505 so ~455 with AA discount. But you will only get AA discount applied if click and collecting and paying in store. Not sure how that would work with minimal store opening. Bit more for the 3 bike versions.

Last edited:
For 2 bike version, I paid somewhere between 400 and 450 - can't remember exactly and it was complicated with the return. But I got price match, plus 10% AA discount and an extra bank holiday flash sale discount. Looks like Halfords just put their price up today as it was 4xx earlier - probably due to a price match being revised. Currently its ~505 so ~455 with AA discount. But you will only get AA discount applied if click and collecting and paying in store. Not sure how that would work with minimal store opening. Bit more for the 3 bike versions.
Ok great thanks. I will keep an eye out. What’s the total weight of bikes that can be carried on the 2? Thanks

Can anyone recommend a good tow-hitch mounted bike rack for the M3, ideally one which can carry three bikes? It might seem a bit optimistic now, but I’m planning to take the kids out for a few decent rides once lockdown has been relaxed sufficiently.

Whereabouts in the country are you? I’ve got a four bike tow bar cycle carrier that’s in perfect condition and needs a new home (once lockdown is over) can check make tomorrow but it’s super solid and well made

I use the 2 bike version of this every day to carry my bike to/from nursery. They also do a 3 bike version.

Thule HangOn 972 3-Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack | Halfords UK

Really cheap -£50 for the 2 bike version, but does the job well. The bikes are easy to mount, and takes literally 5 seconds to install/uninstall the carrier when not needed. It's so compact I just throw it in the boot when not needing to carry the bike at weekends.

There is an option to put a lock on the carrier to secure it from opportunistic theft, but it's so easy to remove I just take it off the car when ever am leaving the car in a public area.

49543244833_da1739a89c_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how that would work with minimal store opening.

Halfords are open, but you cannot physically go into the store. There is a reception area by the front doors where you que up and pay/collect. Abit like how Tesla service centres are operating at present.

Sadly I've had to use both in the last few weeks, one to sort out the eBike issues, and one to sort out EV issues. Maybe these electric motor powered things are more trouble than they are worth :).

Ok great thanks. I will keep an eye out. What’s the total weight of bikes that can be carried on the 2? Thanks

Full weights and limits in links. Halfords site do not make these clear and its important to know that not all racks are suitable for all bikes or combinations.

The Easyfold has total capacity that exceeds the Tesla tow hitch limit and has a 30kg single bike limit

Thule EasyFold XT

And the one posted by gangzoom

Thule HangOn 3 Tilt

The full Thule range Towbar bike racks - easy to load and unload

Last edited:
Reactions: UrbanSplash
Full weights and limits in links. Halfords site do not make these clear and its important to know that not all racks are suitable for all bikes or combinations.

The Easyfold has total capacity that exceeds the Tesla tow hitch limit and has a 30kg single bike limit

Thule EasyFold XT

And the one posted by gangzoom

Thule HangOn 3 Tilt

The full Thule range Towbar bike racks - easy to load and unload

so for the easyfold: rack is 18kg. Max weight on tow bar for rack is 55kg, so only 37kg for 2 bikes

Is the max weight the same as nose weight? Thinking of towing too.