Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Cover Fasteners ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed tonight that the small tow hitch panel was sagging a bit on one side. Looks like one of the two screws/fasteners is broken. A few small pieces of metal that look like part of the fasteners fell out when I tried to fix. Any idea if I can source the clips somewhere?

Attachments

• BA2B7998-E399-4BC2-8A1A-B917D7852960.jpeg
    BA2B7998-E399-4BC2-8A1A-B917D7852960.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 429
  • 77D5729A-0F58-4C70-9A8D-25257A1F9616.jpeg
    77D5729A-0F58-4C70-9A8D-25257A1F9616.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 354
I noticed that Amazon has similar clips, "Mtsooning 10PCS Rear Bumper Tow Cover Clips." that are used for a land rover. The picture looks like they might fit my 2022 MX. Does anyone know if these will fit OK?
I ordered the Mtsooning 10PCS Rear Bumper Tow Cover Clips from Amazon and they arrived today. They are slightly different than the Tesla clips. However, they are similar enough that I was easily able to use a sharp knife to whittle the ends of the clips to look similar to the Tesla clips. They now fit well and do the job--and I have 9 clips remaining to use when I need more.

Reviving this old thread as last night I found the head part of one of these clips on my driveway without the stem which seems to have broken off. I’ve never removed the tow cover myself but it may have been removed by whoever installed my UP sway bar months ago and could have been partially broken or whatever, no one will ever know. Long story short, I peeked under the car with a flashlight and right off the bat identified it was the tow cover clip. The other was still in place. The bedding in which it seats was still in place.

After lots of googling as I’m just allergic to dealing with Tesla service tickets, I found this

NJ public libraries offer 3D printing. A quick order to my local library and $1 later which I owe them as I didn’t have change, I have perfectly working thumb captive replacements of these “proprietary” clips you can’t find anywhere but the Land Rover clones. Now I have 3D printed Etsy trunk cover hinges and 3D printed tow cover retainer clips. Bless those who went thru the trouble of designing these. The question is - why on Earth is any of this necessary on an almost 100K car 🤷🏻