Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed my hitch cover at the time of delivery to confirm I had the OEM hitch installed, Removal of the cover without destroying any of the tabs was a PITA, but I managed it without instruction and was fairly straightforward. However, I went to remove the cover again a few days ago to trial the fitment of my new bike rack (Thule T2 Pro XTR) and found that removal of the trim was exponentially more difficult with the accumulation of road dirt around the perimeter. I recommend making sure you take a hose to the perimeter of the cover to clean out the gaps and tabs before attempting to remove it or you'll damage it. The dirt almost acted like a cement.
The cover is not going to survive multiple removal/replacements. I have been looking around to see if anyone has come up with some mods to the plate to allow easier access. It would be neat if it had a top hinge to allow it to be lifted and remain on the car for the time the rack is installed. There must be an elegant solution that uses velcro, zip ties or magnets, but I have yet to find it.

I removed my hitch cover at the time of delivery to confirm I had the OEM hitch installed, Removal of the cover without destroying any of the tabs was a PITA, but I managed it without instruction and was fairly straightforward. However, I went to remove the cover again a few days ago to trial the fitment of my new bike rack (Thule T2 Pro XTR) and found that removal of the trim was exponentially more difficult with the accumulation of road dirt around the perimeter. I recommend making sure you take a hose to the perimeter of the cover to clean out the gaps and tabs before attempting to remove it or you'll damage it. The dirt almost acted like a cement.
The cover is not going to survive multiple removal/replacements. I have been looking around to see if anyone has come up with some mods to the plate to allow easier access. It would be neat if it had a top hinge to allow it to be lifted and remain on the car for the time the rack is installed. There must be an elegant solution that uses velcro, zip ties or magnets, but I have yet to find it.
There is a redesigned one on the newest MYs. I am hoping that this is backward compatible, because I agree the current design sux.

It has some kind of handle that's accessible from the outside. I have not seen it personally, but I recall seeing the picture - it appeared there was a clip on the left side. Of course I can't find it now.

In the meantime, aftermarket suppliers have come up with replacements:

There is a redesigned one on the newest MYs. I am hoping that this is backward compatible, because I agree the current design sux.
1615933635840.png

It has some kind of handle that's accessible from the outside. I have not seen it personally, but I recall seeing the picture - it appeared there was a clip on the left side. Of course I can't find it now.

In the meantime, aftermarket suppliers have come up with replacements:
Any review on this? Easy on and off?

I have a brand new MY and was looking for how to handle the hitch cover. OEM cover is not built for more than one removal. Does the 3rd party one in this thread work well?

As long as I’m talking about hitch issues... the receiver square tube is a hair big - my hitch is kind of rattling around in it. Anyone else seen this?

Finally, the safety chain loops appear kind of high and hard to reach(?). Anyone had trouble with damage caused by trying to get hooks in there, it seems tight.