TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tow Hitch Cover?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by madodel, Mar 9, 2016.

1. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Tesla installed the tow hitch on my X and I've left it there. First off is it best to remove the hitch if it isn't being used? If I leave it on, I've been looking for a cover for it. Most 2" covers seem to either be for car brands (none for Tesla of course), skulls, Iron Crosses or lighted ones that light up when the brakes or the turn signal is on. Anyone have a better idea for a hitch cover for the Model X? Maybe a lightup with an X on it.

2. DarrinR

DarrinR Member

I have the same questions. Also is there any way to cover the remaining opening? I'm concerned about dirt, mud and debris getting stuck inside...

3. pvogel

pvogel Member

The tow hitch itself is removable and there's a plate to cover the hole. Most of the deliveries I've seen the tow hitch was in the trunk or frunk and the cover in the diffuser plate where the receptacle for the hitch is was mounted in place. If you got yours with the hitch in place then the diffuser plate cover should have come with your car somewhere. Ask your DS/Service Center.

4. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

It is in the trunk. I'd just like to leave the tow hitch on unless there is a very good reason not to and put a nice cover on it.

5. HookBill

HookBill Member

It will only be a matter of time before someone like EVannex comes up with a Tesla 'T' cover.

Patience young Skywalkers.

6. pvogel

pvogel Member

Well, the intact diffuser plate should make a significant difference in the car's handling at high speed and possibly make a couple percent difference in range. Certainly makes a huge difference in my 100mph RC car when the diffuser plate is damaged vs. intact.

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

If I end up getting the tow hitch I was thinking I would just buy an extra cover from Tesla and hack it up to fit around the installed receiver. Not sure how I would attach it yet though. ;-)