Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
Tesla installed the tow hitch on my X and I've left it there. First off is it best to remove the hitch if it isn't being used? If I leave it on, I've been looking for a cover for it. Most 2" covers seem to either be for car brands (none for Tesla of course), skulls, Iron Crosses or lighted ones that light up when the brakes or the turn signal is on. Anyone have a better idea for a hitch cover for the Model X? Maybe a lightup with an X on it.

Tesla installed the tow hitch on my X and I've left it there. First off is it best to remove the hitch if it isn't being used? If I leave it on, I've been looking for a cover for it. Most 2" covers seem to either be for car brands (none for Tesla of course), skulls, Iron Crosses or lighted ones that light up when the brakes or the turn signal is on. Anyone have a better idea for a hitch cover for the Model X? Maybe a lightup with an X on it.
I have the same questions. Also is there any way to cover the remaining opening? I'm concerned about dirt, mud and debris getting stuck inside...

The tow hitch itself is removable and there's a plate to cover the hole. Most of the deliveries I've seen the tow hitch was in the trunk or frunk and the cover in the diffuser plate where the receptacle for the hitch is was mounted in place. If you got yours with the hitch in place then the diffuser plate cover should have come with your car somewhere. Ask your DS/Service Center.

The tow hitch itself is removable and there's a plate to cover the hole. Most of the deliveries I've seen the tow hitch was in the trunk or frunk and the cover in the diffuser plate where the receptacle for the hitch is was mounted in place. If you got yours with the hitch in place then the diffuser plate cover should have come with your car somewhere. Ask your DS/Service Center.

It is in the trunk. I'd just like to leave the tow hitch on unless there is a very good reason not to and put a nice cover on it.

It is in the trunk. I'd just like to leave the tow hitch on unless there is a very good reason not to and put a nice cover on it.

Well, the intact diffuser plate should make a significant difference in the car's handling at high speed and possibly make a couple percent difference in range. Certainly makes a huge difference in my 100mph RC car when the diffuser plate is damaged vs. intact.

Custom Cut 2020 Model X Tow Hitch cover plate. I Custom Cut hole in The provided tow hitch cover plate. Good for using hitch for bike or ski rack only. It worked out great and I feel good about long term installation of hitch during bad weather. Cut 1-3/4 hole located 3-1/8” from the forward edge (w/ 2 pins). Then cut out a bit more to provide a rectangular cutout 7/8” x 2-3/4” (see photo). Use sharp exactly knife, straightedge, and start with small hole and get bigger if needed. It was a tight fit! Now I will buy an extra tow hitch cover plate for when I remove the hitch (or could just cover hole with duct tape!). Three photos attached

0207B1C1-31AB-44A0-8632-E387ED8C03C4.jpeg
FA21F6A4-988A-4A73-80B4-FBCDFCDAF49C.jpeg
D56729F5-176C-4FA3-BEB6-1F6576A278CB.jpeg

Attachments

• 03F1B5E6-0E5D-47C9-BF0D-B53735881F6B.jpeg
    03F1B5E6-0E5D-47C9-BF0D-B53735881F6B.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 82
  • FD2BD14B-05D0-407E-95CA-CA0529C5488C.jpeg
    FD2BD14B-05D0-407E-95CA-CA0529C5488C.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 47