Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch, does it affect acceleration or range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody in another thread reported that this cover was a good option to avoid fighting with the factory cover.

I scratched up the surrounding valence when I removed mine for the first time, so I’m ordering one.
after driving for ~2 years with no cover, I finally bought that one. It's good enough that I put in in and out as needed. note it can be nudged left and right to make it fit better (ie, it's not self centering)

Reactions: TomB985
On a related note, my Model Y (with hitch) was delivered with the bumper cover in place, so I haven’t actually looked for it yet. I did confirm however that the car has the tow software, so I’m assuming it’s there. I’m assuming once I pop the cover off, it won’t go back on?
The cover does go back on. There are several youtube videos on how to remove and put the cover back on. I bought some plastic tools from Harbor Freight and they work just fine. For me, when looking at the cover, I insert the tool in the top left corner to start removing. When putting back on, I have to ensure the cover fits bottom, sides, and top (in that order).
Also the MYLR tows a 1720 capacity trailer really well. Have used it several times. I have even towed a Home Depot rental trailer. Normally I have the cover on and only remove it when towing. And yes, I'm sure distance is affected when towing, but since I'm only doing local stuff, no problem for me. Hope this helps :)

Just a drawer pull handle from Lowes or Home Depot, I forget which. On the backside are a couple of stainless steel screws of appropriate length and thread pitch instead of the supplied screws, and a pair of stainless washers to spread the load. The stainless bits I got at ACE hardware. Also a bit of threadlocker to help keep the fasteners tight. The handle is a bit larger than I wanted but it kind of works as the curve evokes the top of the Tesla logo.
can - 1.jpeg

On a related note, my Model Y (with hitch) was delivered with the bumper cover in place, so I haven’t actually looked for it yet. I did confirm however that the car has the tow software, so I’m assuming it’s there.
So the car needs tow software too? If a person buys the hardware and adds it on their own, how do they go about getting the software?

So the car needs tow software too? If a person buys the hardware and adds it on their own, how do they go about getting the software?
In another thread, somebody mentioned installing the factory wiring and seeing tow mode show up by itself. I’m guessing the car recognizes the factory harness and enables the switch in the menu.

I’m not sure that it matters for anything, though. Lots of people use aftermarket wiring and don’t have issues.

Reactions: Iron
As most have said, no it doesn't change range and hardly adds weight since it replaces factory bumper hardware at the same time. I don't recall exactly but it's like a 5 or 10lb difference net.

The cover, with the right tools and knowing where the snaps are, it comes on and off pretty easily but... there are WAY more snaps than needed so many people just snip off like every other one to make it even easier. Personally, I prefer to keep it looking completely hidden, no reason not too imo.

This is the main reason why I'm considering getting one. To protect the car

This will do ya.... :)

A really EASY way to remove the tow hitch bumper cover is to drill a small hole in the top left corner (as you are looking at the cover -- and maybe it doesn't matter which upper corner). Use an 'L' shaped pick to reach in and pull. Very, very easy. I wish this was my idea, but alas it was suggested to me by a mobile service technician. Such a simple idea to help this elderly person get the cover off as I struggled with getting the plastic tool in the crevice. Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: TomB985