Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch, does it affect acceleration or range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accidentally ordered a factory-installed tow hitch for my MYLR.
The tow bar system weights around 30kg (65 lbs), according to some specs (not sure if that is accurate).

Does the existence of the tow bar affect range, performance or acceleration, without towing and without having the trailer attached?

From a physics perspective, any additional weight to the vehicle may affect range or performance, but at this scale it feels as If there is some luggage permanently sitting at the back of the car. I mean, I could as well be 20-30kg heavier as a person.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I think the effect is negligible.

Range at higher speeds has far more to do with aerodynamics than it does weight, and the hitch is completely enclosed behind the bumper and underbody cladding. There’s no way to tell if a hitch is installed without removing the access panel because you can’t even see it from beneath the car.

The Draw Tite hitch for the Y is 31 lbs, and I’d expect the factory part to be similar. It also replaces a bumper reinforcement beam, so you’re subtracting some weight as well.

On a related note, my Model Y (with hitch) was delivered with the bumper cover in place, so I haven’t actually looked for it yet. I did confirm however that the car has the tow software, so I’m assuming it’s there. I’m assuming once I pop the cover off, it won’t go back on?

On a related note, my Model Y (with hitch) was delivered with the bumper cover in place, so I haven’t actually looked for it yet. I did confirm however that the car has the tow software, so I’m assuming it’s there. I’m assuming once I pop the cover off, it won’t go back on?
that would suck! They make a remove tool. I would hope that the cover would pop back on when you arent using it.

I think the effect is negligible.

Range at higher speeds has far more to do with aerodynamics than it does weight, and the hitch is completely enclosed behind the bumper and underbody cladding. There’s no way to tell if a hitch is installed without removing the access panel because you can’t even see it from beneath the car. ...
True, that. We complained that our Y was missing the tow hitch, and were kindly shown the access cover. Well, whaddy'a know! Very clean look, but a pain to remove/reinstall so I ended up modifying it with a small grab handle.

I accidentally ordered a factory-installed tow hitch for my MYLR.
The tow bar system weights around 30kg (65 lbs), according to some specs (not sure if that is accurate).

Does the existence of the tow bar affect range, performance or acceleration, without towing and without having the trailer attached?

From a physics perspective, any additional weight to the vehicle may affect range or performance, but at this scale it feels as If there is some luggage permanently sitting at the back of the car. I mean, I could as well be 20-30kg heavier as a person.
I recommend dropping weight by some 40 lbs before delivery so your car with a tow hitch does not lose any range.