Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch (Factory) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who has had the tow hitch for awhile, any issues using it?

I got the cover off pretty easily. Set up our bike rack put it in the receiver and the 5/8 hitch pin bolt that came with the bike rack legit won't fit. The threads for the bolt are on the left side , and right next to the hitch is the plug for the lights. It's impossible to feed a long bolt through straight! If I put the bolt in on the right side the threads aren't long enough on the bolt to reach the thread on the hitch so it won't screw in.

This is my first tow hitch. Is this normal? Is there a better hitch pin bolt people use that fits?

Anyone who has had the tow hitch for awhile, any issues using it?

I got the cover off pretty easily. Set up our bike rack put it in the receiver and the 5/8 hitch pin bolt that came with the bike rack legit won't fit. The threads for the bolt are on the left side , and right next to the hitch is the plug for the lights. It's impossible to feed a long bolt through straight! If I put the bolt in on the right side the threads aren't long enough on the bolt to reach the thread on the hitch so it won't screw in.

This is my first tow hitch. Is this normal? Is there a better hitch pin bolt people use that fits?
I believe I read somewhere that someone had to invert the bike rack joint, to get the bolt to enter from the right side.

Reactions: Whoisbill
Delivered yesterday!
VIN 30xxx.

Now I have to research bike racks.
Looks to me like the Tesla one is a variant / modified Yakima ridgeback. I have one of those on my outback and when my MY comes in plan to use it.

It was the absolutely only rack I could find that would work with the screwy subaru receiver but it works well enough. Like the tesla version it comes with a sort of collar to turn the 1 1/4 in to a 1 1/2" version.

Just to give you another data point; I have no VIN assigned to my account, nor have I received an email or text. I ordered 7/7 (White Ext./Black Int./19" Geminis/Tow Hitch), and MVPA hit my account fairly late on Tuesday (8/4) evening (about 9PM Central Time). Still waiting for an actual VIN assignment!
I noticed we both have identical cars, pickup points, delivery date and location. Our Vins are very similar to.

I ordered mine on July 15th, still no VIN. If I had known there would be a holdup with the hitch, I would not have ordered it with the hitch...

I changed my order yesterday to remove the hitch. I received the 1-4 weeks estimated delivery a few hours later. Hard to know if I would have gotten the text had I not made the change. I convinced myself that a hitch was a good-to-have a few times during the life of the vehicle. I can also add the hitch after delivery if I really needed it.

I ordered mine on July 13th, White, 18" , black int. Tow Hitch still no VIN, MVPA, not any text updates, e-mails or phone calls of any kind from Tesla. Going to be 6 weeks soon but I would still rather wait for a factory installed hitch. I already have a hitchless Tesla Model 3 while I wait,

I changed my order yesterday to remove the hitch. I received the 1-4 weeks estimated delivery a few hours later. Hard to know if I would have gotten the text had I not made the change. I convinced myself that a hitch was a good-to-have a few times during the life of the vehicle. I can also add the hitch after delivery if I really needed it.

I still have the hitch (red/black/awd/autop/20"/hitch) and got the 1-4 week txt yesterday at 4:29 eastern.

No VIN though

I ordered 8/11

I ordered mine on July 13th, White, 18" , black int. Tow Hitch still no VIN, MVPA, not any text updates, e-mails or phone calls of any kind from Tesla. Going to be 6 weeks soon but I would still rather wait for a factory installed hitch. I already have a hitchless Tesla Model 3 while I wait,
Similar situation here. Ordered July 11th, MSM, Black, 20", tow hitch. Zero communication of any sort at almost 6 weeks. I am on the west coast so presumably will be waiting another ~6 weeks even though the estimate was 8 weeks on ordering.

Got my Model Y delivery without a hitch (pun) on 7/17..Ordered the hitch that same day. Have it scheduled for mobile install next Tuesday which is the same day we are expecting tropical storm/hurricane. Hope I don't have to wait another month after that if they cancel.