Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swear I've seen it posted somewhere that Tesla is charging $1200 to add the tow hitch after delivery. However, Shop Tesla shows it as $1650. I ordered my Model Y before it was an option. Any experience with post delivery install? I'm aware of other aftermarket options, but have not seen anyone with a Model Y confirm or deny they can get the software tow package when installing aftermarket hitches.

So updating... Ordered the Tow Package (along with the Homelink Garage Door system) from shop.tesla on July 20th.

I'm still waiting for the tow hitch to be delivered to the service center and have no ETA or timeline. I did receive the Homelink and had it installed via mobile service in about 2 weeks.

Anyone order the Tow Package and received it yet (post delivery)?

So updating... Ordered the Tow Package (along with the Homelink Garage Door system) from shop.tesla on July 20th.

I'm still waiting for the tow hitch to be delivered to the service center and have no ETA or timeline. I did receive the Homelink and had it installed via mobile service in about 2 weeks.

Anyone order the Tow Package and received it yet (post delivery)?

Did you get your hitch yet? I ordered last week, curious what the the timeline is.

Did you get your hitch yet? I ordered last week, curious what the the timeline is.

So I found out why my delivery was delayed... And it still is :mad:

FedEx lost my shipment, and apparently requires a 14 day grace period in order for Tesla (the shipper) to file a claim. Now that that was established, I've reached out to Tesla to reship my purchase and all I've gotten are crickets. Super frustrating. Obv it's not Tesla's fault but they never provided me with the original tracking number so I was unaware of the shipment status. And now that it's been established that my original shipment is gone, I'm getting no response from [email protected] ... I'm about to reverse charges on my credit card to cancel this and start over.

To give you an answer to your timeline query... I ordered on 7/20 and they shipped on 7/27, it arrived at a FedEx facility in my town 3 days later. So I could assume the SC would have had it within a day or two of that and probably scheduled install sometime within a week or two of that.

As I've written in other threads, my SC has the hitch I've already paid for, but won't be able to install it until a back-ordered part for my MY can be delivered and installed. They estimate the missing hitch receiver part won't be available until November :eek:

woot! Hitch is installed. Everything works. I bought a Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller.

I tried hooking up a 13 foot camper with dry weight 1200 lbs and drove for 6 miles in hilly terrain around my house. The regen when I pull the camper in the back is activating the brakes of the camper. Overall I am super happy with the install. I am going to go out and drive for a couple of hours and see what the consumption looks like.

y_hitch_1.jpg
y_hitch_2.jpg
y_hitch_3.jpg
y_hitch_4.jpg
y_hitch_5.jpg

Attachments

• y_hitch_1.jpg
    y_hitch_1.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 63
woot! Hitch is installed. Everything works. I bought a Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller.

I tried hooking up a 13 foot camper with dry weight 1200 lbs and drove for 6 miles in hilly terrain around my house. The regen when I pull the camper in the back is activating the brakes of the camper. Overall I am super happy with the install. I am going to go out and drive for a couple of hours and see what the consumption looks like.

View attachment 586509 View attachment 586510 View attachment 586511 View attachment 586512 View attachment 586513

Would love to hear the consumption you get...

I’m also happy to see they are using a 2” receiver on a class 2 hitch.

Would love to hear the consumption you get...

I’m also happy to see they are using a 2” receiver on a class 2 hitch.

I did about 300 miles of mixed driving involving flat roads and windy mountain roads, 80% on interstates or state highways at 60-65 mph. The consumption is clocking in average 350 wh/m. Easy to remember 1% charge gets us 2 miles with the camper in the back. :)

I did about 300 miles of mixed driving involving flat roads and windy mountain roads, 80% on interstates or state highways at 60-65 mph. The consumption is clocking in average 350 wh/m. Easy to remember 1% charge gets us 2 miles with the camper in the back. :)
Thanks for the details. That consumption doesn’t seem bad at all especially with the windy mountain roads.

Last edited:
Nice! I’m looking forward to trying that.

How do you like the echo Bluetooth brake controller? That looks real interesting.

It is painless since it's plug and play. I didn't know what a brake controller is a week ago :). This directly goes into the Tesla installed 7 pin plug and the brakes are being applied as expected without me doing anything else. It's $200, but other options seem to need to run additional wiring or drilling holes on the dash and such things. I do have a second car which I am planning to tow with from time to time if I feel the need to camp in more remote places. This thing makes it easier to switch between cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: Koolio46