Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even when Tesla releases a vehicle months ahead of schedule, they still manage to rush it out like they were behind. This should have been on it from the start. This $1,000 "option" means another $3,490 for my existing reservation since I had the lower price locked in from October. I won't add it to my LR AWD reservation, but this may push me to cancel that order and just get a performance version now without FSD which would be comparable in price to my current reservation. FSD hasn't really progressed like they promised by last year's end anyway.

Even when Tesla releases a vehicle months ahead of schedule, they still manage to rush it out like they were behind. This should have been on it from the start. This $1,000 "option" means another $3,490 for my existing reservation since I had the lower price locked in from October. I won't add it to my LR AWD reservation, but this may push me to cancel that order and just get a performance version now without FSD which would be comparable in price to my current reservation. FSD hasn't really progressed like they promised by last year's end anyway.
I read that they're going to raise the price of FSD again.

I was able to use chat on the Tesla website. They chat person, Amie, transferred me top chat with David, in delivery. David added it, $1,000, no extra fees. He said it will show up on my account in a few hours.
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 7.19.13 AM.png

When I went in and used the Edit Design option it only added $1k to the configuration nothing more. For now though I didn't save the changes.

However it's a Class II (1" 1/4, not a 2") limited to 3,500 lbs
I don’t think anyone realistically expected the Model Y would be rated to tow more than 3,500 lbs so the hitch class Tesla is now offering on the Y is consistent with expectations and competitive in its vehicle class.

The Y tow option could easily handle the 17 ft 2,300 lb (loaded) RV I tow with my X.

Obviously the Y is not capable of towing the heavier RVs that the X can tow.

And in the future Tesla will offer the Cybertruck which will be able to tow from 7,500 to over 14,000 lbs. So Tesla will have a range of vehicles capable of towing almost anything.

I was able to use chat on the Tesla website. They chat person, Amie, transferred me top chat with David, in delivery. David added it, $1,000, no extra fees. He said it will show up on my account in a few hours. View attachment 531066
What was your cost before? The DS I chatted with said there was no way of adding it without triggering the car to be updated with current pricing. My cost went from $59,000 to $61,990.
upload_2020-4-10_11-16-8.png
upload_2020-4-10_11-16-47.png

upload_2020-4-10_11-17-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-10_11-17-18.png
    upload_2020-4-10_11-17-18.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Would prefer 2” just to keep things like bike racks common size between vehicles without adapters...
Yeah I wonder if Tesla will offer 2" receiver for bike racks but not towing. In our case we're trading in the vehicle with the existing 2" receiver, so we wouldn't be moving the rack between vehicles. I guess alternatively we try to buy a new rack that uses 1.25" but also compatible with the other accessories that fit on the existing bike rack…

Yeah I wonder if Tesla will offer 2" receiver for bike racks but not towing. In our case we're trading in the vehicle with the existing 2" receiver, so we wouldn't be moving the rack between vehicles. I guess alternatively we try to buy a new rack that uses 1.25" but also compatible with the other accessories that fit on the existing bike rack…
This, I have the Tesla bike rack from my X that I would like to use on my Y

I checked back and adding the hitch for $1000, also would change my base price for the car $990. So I cancelled the hitch. $1990 total is a lot to pay for a hitch. I am counting on it being retrofittable.

But the Model 3 configurator in Europe states trailer hitch is not retrofitable. Maybe there is more to just adding a hitch later?

Last edited: