Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know where I've seen that adding the tow hitch to the Model Y will cost $1200... Seems like I've seen that in several places.
However, Shop Tesla has it listed as $1650
Can anyone confirm what Tesla is charging to add the tow hitch after taking delivery? I ordered mine before it was an option. I'm considering canceling and re-configuring. I've taken into consideration all price changes since my order, so please, just info on tow hitch pricing is all I need.
If you are asking if it's cheaper to add the hitch pre or post delivery, then yes there is a cost difference. To do it when ordering, it is cheaper. To add it after you have your car, is more expensive but also includes installation.

Several of us didn't have the option to add it prior to delivery or felt that the cost savings (at the time) it made more sense to wait until after delivery since the price difference didn't make opening up our orders. With the resent price drop of the car and if you're not buying FSD, it might make more financial sense to open your order and add the hitch.

You'll have to do the math however to make sure this is the right choice for you.

I just paid $1299 including tax for my post-delivery tow hitch install last week. They may have gone up. If you have not been given a VIN yet, I would reconfigure and at worst, it should be no more than a couple week delay.

I was just informed that my link to the Shop Tesla was for whatever reason showing Canadian pricing... And that the US pricing is $1200 thanks to those who replied!

Yes. I submitted the service appt request on 6/19. After that, they replied the parts had to be ordered and they would keep me updated. That was twice a week updates, usually the 2nd of the week was a day or so before the appt and accompanied an appt date change delaying a week while waiting for parts. When placing the service appt request, indicate you have ordered parts via "shop" order. It should perform similarly with the scheduled appt.
I suggest scheduling the appt and see what happens.
So I booked an appointment and they had scheduled me for a ranger visit next Monday. That has since changed in to a service center visit on the 29th. Although they have confirmed a SC visit, they haven't confirmed that they received the hitch yet. I'm hopeful that I don't get rescheduled, but also being realistic ... I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

On a side note, I printed these Hitch Cover is Kind of a Pain to Remove and they work really well. I need to increase the infil since I did break my first set, but the tool does work as described.

Reactions: Ken43
I’ve read through this thread and don’t see a post by a TMC member who has a hitch installed on their Y, though it appears that @Poncherelly is about to get theirs installed.

Does anyone know what manufacturer Tesla is sourcing the Model Y hitch from? For the X it’s a Bosal and it is a weight-bearing hitch, not a weight distribution-capable hitch.
I'm getting my hitch tomorrow am ... I doubt it will be visible once on, but I can check post install?