Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is mine
EB917464-88FE-4B3D-B9B0-643EDB400D1E.jpeg

We don't know if that is an option for Tesla installed hitches yet either. Right now, no Model Y's on the road have a tow option in the software.

It's in the manual, so I'd bet the house the option will be there for a Tesla installed hitch.

What we don't know is if the option becomes available as soon as the wires get connected, or if this is something Tesla activates remotely. I guessing it will be the former.

BTW, there are posts of buyers that opted for the hitch are getting VINs for their cars. Also, I called my SA today and asked if the tow hitch option would delay the order. He said it will not delay things. So soon we'll know about the tow option and the size of the receiver.

Could you tell me which page of the manual it mentioned to tow option? The copy I have downloaded is from before they announced towing in the Model Y so I'm curious if they updated it after that.

That's the funny thing about this whole process though, no way of knowing what the real information is until you physically have it in your hands. My SA said that it WOULD delay my VIN if I added the tow option at this point. So, who knows what really goes on behind the curtain. I'm holding off on after market or Tesla until we get a chance to ask someone who actually has the Tesla equipped hitch some questions.

Could you tell me which page of the manual it mentioned to tow option? The copy I have downloaded is from before they announced towing in the Model Y so I'm curious if they updated it after that.

That's the funny thing about this whole process though, no way of knowing what the real information is until you physically have it in your hands. My SA said that it WOULD delay my VIN if I added the tow option at this point. So, who knows what really goes on behind the curtain. I'm holding off on after market or Tesla until we get a chance to ask someone who actually has the Tesla equipped hitch some questions.

Had to do some digging. It's not it the manual posted online, but was found on Tesmanian:

Tesla Model Y Trailer Mode For Future Update

Since folks are getting VINs for Model Ys with hitches, I'm guessing the manual needs to be updated. I thought I saw a screenshot for "trailer mode", but I think that may have about towing the Model Y (under the service menu). There has to be some sort of option when towing to turn off the rear warning alerts and perhaps shifting the power between front and back. Maybe a future firmware update.

Back to not knowing any information haha...

Yeah, I am excited to find out when someone who ordered the hitch from Tesla gets their hands on it. If there is no mode that will let the rear sensors know I have a bike rack attached, I'll be going with the Ecohitch and installing it myself. If their is, and it isn't made available unless you purchase the hitch from Tesla, I'd probably pony up the extra cash to get the proper software.

It's in the manual, so I'd bet the house the option will be there for a Tesla installed hitch.

What we don't know is if the option becomes available as soon as the wires get connected, or if this is something Tesla activates remotely. I guessing it will be the former.

BTW, there are posts of buyers that opted for the hitch are getting VINs for their cars. Also, I called my SA today and asked if the tow hitch option would delay the order. He said it will not delay things. So soon we'll know about the tow option and the size of the receiver.

Where did you read about buyers with the hitch are getting VINs? Great news!

Would you confirm if that hitch is the OEM or the aftermarket version?

That is the aftermarket EcoHitch (you can see the label right on it in the picture). Nobody has a factory installed hitch at this point. Nobody knows when Tesla hitches will start to be put on during production. Nobody knows if the production hitch will be available as a service appointment add on, and nobody knows when that will happen if it does happen.