Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to add it and it will be my first time modding.

Canadian dollars: Original Purchase Price $85,690 (Includes $1,280 destination and documentation fee, $100 air conditioning fee and $10 OMVIC fee.)

Add tow hitch $1300.00

New purchase price $88,590.00

Original + Tow hitch = $86,990.00

Actual cost of Tow Hitch 88,590 - 86,990 = $1,600.00. That can not be right? Penalty for early loyalty? Not really about the 300 but the principle.

I would slap a 2" ball on it and drag the dump trailer to the dump with that torque no problems; couple of miles @ 90% charge should work.

Hopefully this means the software and wiring are available for those even with a 3rd part hitch. Would prefer 2” just to keep things like bike racks common size between vehicles without adapters...
No way it would be 2" as that invites idiots overloading the car with some huge trailer. 2" receiver is not even legal unless the vehicle tow rating is adequate.

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1
Ok, sorry to look like the nutcase I am. In the end that tow hitch will cost me $1900. "F" it, I went ahead with the order. The main reason I was getting a Y over my 3 is to be able to sell my beater pickup and use a utility trailer when needed. I have a friend with a Model 3 with aftermarket hitch. When he mounts a bike he gets annoying warnings constantly. In Europe, Telsa will not retrofit the hitch to Model 3's. Top it off, I bought a lot of stock in 2013, made enough to pay for 40 Model Y's. So I suppose, it's ok if Tesla overcharges me on a hitch.

No way it would be 2" as that invites idiots overloading the car with some huge trailer. 2" receiver is not even legal unless the vehicle tow rating is adequate.
Size of trailer or ball has nothing to do with weight and you can haul a big trailer on a 2" ball as it depends on what is in it (tongue weight). Of course speed is always a factor when hauling. I would have no problem with a 2" ball, maintaining overall/tongue weight and driving a slow speed. Not an idiot just been towing for 40 years. Back in the country and two country blocks with light stuff not a problem. Cops are reasonable with us locals as long as you are reasonable. If I am filling it up with sand fill I would use the tractor loader to load it and to also pull it.

Size of trailer or ball has nothing to do with weight and you can haul a big trailer on a 2" ball as it depends on what is in it (tongue weight). Of course speed is always a factor when hauling. I would have no problem with a 2" ball, maintaining overall/tongue weight and driving a slow speed. Not an idiot just been towing for 40 years. Back in the country and two country blocks with light stuff not a problem. Cops are reasonable with us locals as long as you are reasonable. If I am filling it up with sand fill I would use the tractor loader to load it and to also pull it.

A ball and a receiver are entirely two different things.

Reactions: kayak1 and Fiddler
I got my Model X towing package installed after delivery (because it was in the order but missing in the delivered car). This makes me confident they will offer retrofit for Model Y though not sure how much extra, if it all, they'll charge. I am hopeful it will be the same $1,000 since the option came in so early after the launch.

This is somewhat maddening, as that option was not available when I place my order. If it was, I'd have ordered it. Now, when it finally comes out, and only about a month into deliveries, adding it changes the cost of previous options. I'd jump right on it for $1000, but not for $2990.
In my case it was $1920. I guess it depends on configuration and color. I ordered white which originally had cost me $1000 (back when black was standard), now that white is free I got back $1000 on color so really I am only laying out an additional $920.

Reactions: mazers
This, I have the Tesla bike rack from my X that I would like to use on my Y
There are after market 1 1/2 to 2" adapters if you already have 2" accessories.
65023_I.jpg

Reactions: RckyMtnElectrk
Hopefully this means the software and wiring are available for those even with a 3rd part hitch. Would prefer 2” just to keep things like bike racks common size between vehicles without adapters...

Software? Wiring? If the hitch doesn't block tail lights, you don't need extra tail lights. And a bike rack, or even a trailer, is not enough load to require extra software. Tons of extra power available. Nothing special needed.

I had 3500 lb hitch on my first two Model Ses. Never a problem. No need for wiring, at least here in Cali during the day. But even then, wiring is simple, just clipping into existing for a brake and running light. You folk are making this way too hard.

For bike racks it sticks the rack another 6-9" out the back of your car, which increases the leverage on the tow hitch and makes it more likely for you to back the bikes/boxes/etc. into something.

And again, if you can't drive, you shouldn't be the one trying to back a trailer, or a hitch, into something. No one NEEDS to back anything that close that you whack your hitch receiver. Just use your head, take it slow, and maybe have a live person behind you to help as you back. Soon, you too can be a long haul trucker, backing a double trailer around a curve at a warehouse, to end up parked square at the loading dock. All it takes is practice.