Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tow hitch only has a max of 120 pounds? How to tow 2 ebikes??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 model x plaid but when reading the manual is say the tow hitch can only support a max of 120 pounds for bikes /snowboards. Is that a type o??? 120 pounds sounds crazy low. I want to but my ebike on a bike rack. A typical ebike rack that supports 2 ebikes is about 40-50 pounds. Most ebike are 70-80 pounds each. If i take out the batteries they should be maybe 60 pounds each. Is it possible to have 2 ebikes on a bike rack with a model x??

I have a 2022 model x plaid but when reading the manual is say the tow hitch can only support a max of 120 pounds for bikes /snowboards. Is that a type o??? 120 pounds sounds crazy low. I want to but my ebike on a bike rack. A typical ebike rack that supports 2 ebikes is about 40-50 pounds. Most ebike are 70-80 pounds each. If i take out the batteries they should be maybe 60 pounds each. Is it possible to have 2 ebikes on a bike rack with a model x??
Personally, I would look into a trailer with an axle on the ground.

You should be fine as long as you aren't putting the weight 5 feet behind the car. That would create a long lever action and make the weight effect much worse.

Here's what I've been carting around, way more than 120 lbs on my 2016 X:
2023-05-07 22-49-42.jpeg

Reactions: scottf200
Wow, you are daring, and looks like very skilled at backing into chargers as I am sure your rear camera is blocked.. Good job.

@geordi - how's your experience at supercharges with the hitch?

This one works even if you are in a jam.

scrs81I.jpg

Wow, you are daring, and looks like very skilled at backing into chargers as I am sure your rear camera is blocked.. Good job.

Thanks, yes the camera is blocked - but I've been towing things for years, and learned how to back up with a trailer or tray on and anticipate the distance with the load on. That said... STILL a pain in the arse b/c of EVERY location having a stupid bollard or a sign right in the middle of the open space between the pedestals, AND usually as close to the curb as possible!

@geordi - how's your experience at supercharges with the hitch?

I can sum that up in three words: SHORT CORDS and BOLLARDS! What a pain for anyone actually using their car to move more than just their own body around.

I talked with some service guys yesterday though and they said that the new V4 pedestals will be getting longer cords! Don't know (and they didn't either) how much longer, but it is to help the CyberVapor as well as the open access of other vehicles - at least that's what they were told. Here's hoping.

Last edited:
Reactions: geordi