Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Option Finally Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
INCYMI: As the title says, tow hitch is finally an available purchase option. It's a 1K add-on to the price. I thought it was kind of steep, but after seeing this video (what you really want to see is around the 2:30 mark onwards), I'm inclined to think it may be worth it.

Has anyone done an after market receiver yet, and found that to be worth the savings?

I'm still waiting for my VIN assignment, so I'm finding out if they can add it to my order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200410-062542__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200410-062542__01.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 96
It's $1250 to add one to an X if the X did not come with it. $1000 seems reasonable to me; you're going to get "Tow Mode" as well which will be a big deal while towing. I'm guessing the after delivery purchase of the hitch from the store will match the $1250 cost for the X. Just a guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Drw1214
INCYMI: As the title says, tow hitch is finally an available purchase option. It's a 1K add-on to the price. I thought it was kind of steep, but after seeing this video (what you really want to see is around the 2:30 mark onwards), I'm inclined to think it may be worth it.

Has anyone done an after market receiver yet, and found that to be worth the savings?

I'm still waiting for my VIN assignment, so I'm finding out if they can add it to my order.

Too bad I can’t change my order anymore. In “Drafting Contract” the past 3 weeks. I’ll try calling Tesla to add it to my order.

It's $1250 to add one to an X if the X did not come with it. $1000 seems reasonable to me; you're going to get "Tow Mode" as well which will be a big deal while towing. I'm guessing the after delivery purchase of the hitch from the store will match the $1250 cost for the X. Just a guess.

Thanks for the insight. I'm new to the Tesla life. Hell, I've only got my foot in the door. Still waiting on my VIN assignment.

It's my understanding that Class 2 hitches have a minimum size of 1-1/4", but can have larger. The prototypes with hitches had 2" receivers. I'm guessing/hoping Tesla uses a 2" receiver.
Hope you're correct about that 2" receiver, much more stable than the 1.25" receiver.

$1K seems a bit steep IMO, I've added trailer hitches to at least three of our recent vehicles (BMW, Honda, Ford) and none were over $200 IIRC.

You may be able to add an aftermarket trailer hitch to a car prepped for it, but that is just the hitch. No crash force calculations, brake wiring, electronic sway control, brake proportioning etc. Big difference between a factory tow package and just an aftermarket hitch receiver.

Most aftermarket receivers still remain visible, even with the hitch and ball removed.

You may be able to add an aftermarket trailer hitch to a car prepped for it, but that is just the hitch. No crash force calculations, brake wiring, electronic sway control, brake proportioning etc. Big difference between a factory tow package and just an aftermarket hitch receiver.

Most aftermarket receivers still remain visible, even with the hitch and ball removed.

As with most things Tesla you're not only paying for physical parts, you're paying for software.

Getting the factory installed tow hitch should enable Towing Mode (like the Model X has), where the vehicle will adjust to compensate for extra weight.

Reactions: Nakk
What does model X tow mode do? Doesn't it just limit autopilot features, and optimize the air suspension for towing? Y doesn't have air suspension, so I'm wondering what advantage Model Y tow mode might even add.

Why post a Video that confirms it still DOESN'T have a hitch?

If you do need a hitch, don't even think about adding a 3rd party one because it will void your warranty.

If you do need a hitch, don't even think about adding a 3rd party one because it will void your warranty.

Why do people post this stuff? Unless an issue is shown by the warrantor (Tesla) to be the direct result of a third-party modification (hitch), Tesla is prohibited by federal law to deny warranty claims.

That said, issues like the Model S pioneers who put early hitches on, only to find the galvanic corrosion ate through their car's aluminum, clearly are grounds for a warranty claim against corrosion.

What does model X tow mode do? Doesn't it just limit autopilot features, and optimize the air suspension for towing? Y doesn't have air suspension, so I'm wondering what advantage Model Y tow mode might even add.

If my understanding is correct, it corrects for fishtailing and adjusts regenerative braking. IMHO, just the feature where it corrects for a fishtailing trailer is worth the price all by itself.

Reactions: willow_hiller