Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Option Finally Available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people post this stuff? Unless an issue is shown by the warrantor (Tesla) to be the direct result of a third-party modification (hitch), Tesla is prohibited by federal law to deny warranty claims.

That said, issues like the Model S pioneers who put early hitches on, only to find the galvanic corrosion ate through their car's aluminum, clearly are grounds for a warranty claim against corrosion.

Exactly, why do people post *sugar* like this. Federal law, LOL.

If you add a 3rd party hitch the vehicle WILL NOT know it's towing, for one thing. For safety reasons it automatically will disable stuff.

It may make a multitude of adjustments (well beyond suspension adjustment on Model X) you don't have a clue about.
It might boost cooling on battery or drive units, it might boost 12V charging because of the extra 12V loads.

Just because it's "legal" doesn't mean it's a good idea. I don't have time to fight anything legal. Perhaps you do.

It is clearly stated in the extended warranty on Model S if you tow, you'll void your extended warranty.

I've been denied warranty work for plugging in a trailer brake controller. Were that legally in their right? Of course not, but it was a royal pain in ass. I've seen people get denied defective suspension work because they didn't have OEM wheels.

For a $60K vehicle or $100K vehicle, I wouldn't mess around. Legal or not. If you want to, go right ahead.

Exactly, why do people post *sugar* like this. Federal law, LOL.

If you add a 3rd party hitch the vehicle WILL NOT know it's towing, for one thing. For safety reasons it automatically will disable stuff.

It may make a multitude of adjustments (well beyond suspension adjustment on Model X) you don't have a clue about.
It might boost cooling on battery or drive units, it might boost 12V charging because of the extra 12V loads.

Just because it's "legal" doesn't mean it's a good idea. I don't have time to fight anything legal. Perhaps you do.

It is clearly stated in the extended warranty on Model S if you tow, you'll void your extended warranty.

I've been denied warranty work for plugging in a trailer brake controller. Were that legally in their right? Of course not, but it was a royal pain in ass. I've seen people get denied defective suspension work because they didn't have OEM wheels.

For a $60K vehicle or $100K vehicle, I wouldn't mess around. Legal or not. If you want to, go right ahead.
I'm not advocating. Just correcting a clear misstatement of the law.

Sounds like you were trashing my advocating folks stick with OEM. Because you are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Like it or not.
Agreed, if I want a tow hitch on my ordered Y, I'll either confirm it's able to be installed post-purchase or cancel and re-order. I've seen way too many pictures of Model S damage from early designs of tow hitches that didn't account for galvanic corrosion, which of course would never be warrantable through Tesla.

No, the rest of my pricing stayed the same. But only ordered in early March. I have seen posts from others who ordered last year where the price would have increased to current pricing.

It wouldn’t hurt to chat with Tesla and just ask, as well as whether it’ll be available as a post-delivery option.

Reactions: Drw1214
No, the rest of my pricing stayed the same. But only ordered in early March. I have seen posts from others who ordered last year where the price would have increased to current pricing.

It wouldn’t hurt to chat with Tesla and just ask, as well as whether it’ll be available as a post-delivery option.

Yeah , I ordered March of ‘19 so I’m quite sure my pricing would go up. I guess I’ll have to get it installed at service center.