Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Option Gone from Design Studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was about to place my order this morning finally but no tow hitch is a no go for me. I know there are third party options but I don't want to mess with that. I'm really hoping it's just standard now but they haven't updated the design studio photos to reflect the update.

Just did an online chat with Tesla and asked about it. This is what they said:

upload_2021-2-5_5-55-3.png

I will be getting my Y on Monday, with tow hitch, I hope. It will cost 200 more to order it from the Tesla store. (1200)
If you paid for it and it's on your build config, even if it doesn't come with the hitch from the factory the SC will install it for you at no extra cost. That was kind of commonplace when early MY's had it as a factory option but somehow arrived at the SC/Stores without the hitch.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the 7 seater model taking up below deck space normally used for the hitch.
The 7 seater would complicate the load capacity when towing. There is a limit on the cargo when towing. 7 seater would practically be limited to accessories. I am not fond of the tow capacity of the Model Y. Found a nice travel trailer company to rent locally from but the trailer was 250lbs overweight.

Just did an online chat with Tesla and asked about it. This is what they said:

View attachment 634156
If you think you'll ever need it - ask for the brake controller pigtail that SHOULD come with the tow package. Currently, it's a Model X only part but is necessary to hook up a brake controller to your Model Y's trailer wiring. It's a hassle to get one through the app because they "can't order Model X parts for a Model Y VIN" I asked nicely during a service call for another issue and they gave me one from inventory.

i have found tesla employees to be extremely knowledgeable. definitely more so than sales from other retailers/auto sales ppl out there.

As for them not knowing upcoming changes, that is quite normal for companies that move this quickly. If every tesla employee knows exactly what new feature is coming out and when, everyone here will be waiting for the exact date to place their order for a model y with new console, heated steering wheel, new headlights, etc.

I really like my Tesla and am looking forward to buying a model Y...however, I really can't believe this is how they run a company. Employees don't have a clue what's going on and can't answer simple customer questions. Zero information...conflicting information...misleading information.

I have yet to see a salesman who knows more about the car I am buying than myself. They truly are poorly informed or just don't give a crap. That being said, Tesla continues with the "car salesman" tradition.