Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch options for X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
I've never had a tow hitch before. What kind of mount are people getting for the tow receiver that comes with the towing package on the Model X? I was talking with a Model S owner who had a tow hitch on his S and he said I need to know the height of the trailer I'd be towing to know what mount to buy., especially since the tow receiver on the X is relatively low on the X like on his S. My problem is I don't have a trailer. I will most likely rent one when I need it. So do I wait until I rent a trailer to figure out what kind of ball mount to buy? I see there are adjustable ball mounts. Is this a good option for someone that doesn't have a specific trailer to tow? Will all 2" mounts work on the 2" receiver on the X?

if you don't have anything to tow better don't buy any adapter yet :) because it may turn you would need a different (higher one most likely - but too high is not too good either)... you can get them anywhere at Lowe's, Home Depot or Walmart so whenever you need to do your first towing just get it then :) to mount is quick and fast - no brainer.

just a couple things about getting a tow hitch for the X...in the manual it basically states you need to get one at the same height as the hitch or a rise of .75"

also, anyone who has attached their hitch, mine a bit "fiddly" There is a locking ball that when you turn the release knob it retracts and when you insert the hitch into the mount on the X the ball pops out.

I think its because mine is new but it has a hard time locking and unlocking. Hoping it will loosen the more I use it.

Reactions: madodel