Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only heard and read about the Tesla-installed tow hitch for the MX, and if you have 20" wheels, it's rated for 5K lbs trailer weight, 500 lbs tongue weight. If you have the 22" wheels, the trailer weight is reduced to 3500 lbs. Don't think there are any variations to that setup for the MX. If there are, I haven't heard of them. I tow my fishing boat regularly with my MX. The BMT altogether can't weigh more than 1000 lbs though.

Reactions: HyperionMark
Considering a used X and am wondering how many of the X variants have/had tow hitches. And of those that have hitches, do they all have a 5k lb limit or differing amounts?

Early Model X did not come with the towing package, it was an option. If that is important to you, you should ask the seller. The towing limits are reduced if you have 22 inch wheels.

Reactions: HyperionMark
When I bought my MX off the used inventory website, I asked about this "accessory hitch" that I saw mentioned a couple times. I did a ton of research and couldn't find it described anywhere in writing. I think there is only one hitch that plugs into the receiver on the MX. I think the difference is that if you don't have the software enabled for "Trailer Mode," then you don't have the official towing package, and what you have is called simple the accessory hitch. But the hardware is the same from what I understand. I even asked the SC about this issue, and they said there is only one hardware package. There are not two. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I bought my MX off the used inventory website, I asked about this "accessory hitch" that I saw mentioned a couple times. I did a ton of research and couldn't find it described anywhere in writing. I think there is only one hitch that plugs into the receiver on the MX. I think the difference is that if you don't have the software enabled for "Trailer Mode," then you don't have the official towing package, and what you have is called simple the accessory hitch. But the hardware is the same from what I understand. I even asked the SC about this issue, and they said there is only one hardware package. There are not two. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tesla Model X Now Has Optional Accessory Hitch, More Range

"The 1.25″ receiver accepts any of the popular accessory racks on the market for carrying skis, snowboards, and bicycles. When not in use, a “streamlined diffuser plate” seamlessly integrates into the rear bumper. The 2″ tow package rated at 5,000 lbs is still available."

Tesla Model X Now Has Optional Accessory Hitch, More Range

"The 1.25″ receiver accepts any of the popular accessory racks on the market for carrying skis, snowboards, and bicycles. When not in use, a “streamlined diffuser plate” seamlessly integrates into the rear bumper. The 2″ tow package rated at 5,000 lbs is still available."

While it was listed, and some MX (like mine) even have it on the order sheet, no one ever actually got a 1.25" hitch. There are numerous threads on here discussing it. Mine has the 2" hitch. Not sure if I have the tow software, as I haven't hooked anything up yet.

In 2016-17 Tesla offered two packages. The small accessory hitch and the full sized tow package. For some reason they eliminated the accessory hitch and people that had configured that were upgraded to the larger full size hitch at no charge, but that did not include the tow package software suite. For some people they did the software upgrade for free, and for others charged something for the service.

So pretty much you need to ask each seller what their towing capacity is and if they have the software to add the anti sway and other towing software.

Thanks for the info folks. My used inventory car came with the full size hitch but not the software. I made an appointment for service, and the mobile team "enabled" the Trailer Mode software so that I now have the full Tow Package. The mobile service guy told me the Trailer Mode software is already in every MX. Tesla simply has to enable it. So I guess it's possible that in all the used inventory around the world, some MX somewhere could still have the 1.25 inch receiver. Personally, I've never seen one or read about one until this post. Nice to know though.

Looking to buy the 2020 LR+ MX and couldn't find any mention of the tow hitch on the site. I guess it's safe to assume it will be included?
Yes Tesla made it standard a few years ago, I think. Here’s the towing capacity info, from the manual, in case you are interested:

DB25FC01-162C-463C-B719-75255A06EB0B.png

Hi, I am about to buy a 2020 MX LR+ and the seller is telling me there is not a trailer hitch? Is this possible?
I thought the hitch was standard on all Model X that year and even earlier.

Note that the Model X Bosal hitch has a detachable receiver (the part that you would insert a hitch ball into, the ball is not included) that fits into the part of the hitch that is bolted onto the bumper assembly (which is concealed by the fender cover).

It is possible that the seller of the X you are considering buying has lost that detachable receiver piece or it’s in the under-trunk storage area or got stored somewhere else and the seller isn’t even aware of it (maybe they have never used it).

See this page for a photo of the hitch receiver https://www.teslarati.com/how-to-install-tesla-model-x-hitch/

It comes in a rectangular black cloth soft case.

I thought the hitch was standard on all Model X that year and even earlier.

It is on my 2018 X, which I bought used.

It is possible that the seller of the X you are considering buying has lost that detachable receiver piece or it’s in the under-trunk storage area or got stored somewhere else and the seller isn’t even aware of it (maybe they have never used it).

I didn't get it from the last owner, unfortunately. Any idea where I can buy one? The Tesla shopping site doesn't list them, and the Service dept is of course impenetrable when trying to get such a Q answered.

Were you ever able to get one? Same thing happened with our 2023 Model X Plaid and I'm sourcing the parts. I've found the tow package online a few different places but can't find the dust cap to cover the hitch receiver up inside the bumper when not in use. Any ideas where I can find that?

Thank you.