Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Receiver Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My used Model X came with the tow hitch already attached and I really didn't think to look to see if the cover was in the car. It wasn't. I took the hitch off and now I have an empty void on the underside of the vehicle. The Service Center says this is a "trim part" and my warranty won't cover replacement. He said he thought it cost $300 or so. Does anyone have theirs off now and can give me the part number? I'd like to try and find a used one on eBay or from a salvage yard or something.

1257DCD9-F8C7-4FC0-A6F3-477F559A4B03.jpeg 5B877603-5BB4-4998-84EF-25D6CFA001EE.jpeg

Attachments

• C97BC929-5C6E-4CF6-B856-C2207588ECF8.jpeg
    C97BC929-5C6E-4CF6-B856-C2207588ECF8.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 112B14C1-1AF7-4992-A860-9C83A280C974.jpeg
    112B14C1-1AF7-4992-A860-9C83A280C974.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 72
  • FB84FF30-83F7-4573-9E3B-900106A39E45.jpeg
    FB84FF30-83F7-4573-9E3B-900106A39E45.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Helpful
Reactions: bhorn
My used Model X came with the tow hitch already attached and I really didn't think to look to see if the cover was in the car. It wasn't. I took the hitch off and now I have an empty void on the underside of the vehicle. The Service Center says this is a "trim part" and my warranty won't cover replacement. He said he thought it cost $300 or so. Does anyone have theirs off now and can give me the part number? I'd like to try and find a used one on eBay or from a salvage yard or something.

They didn't cover a $10 part under warranty? That is just sad. Do you have pictures of the car at delivery to show that the hitch was already on the car?

Actually, I do have a picture of it with the hitch on. In fact, it's a pic that THEY took and sent to me a couple of days before I took delivery. Hopefully, that'll work! Thanks for the reminder.

It's not worth your time, but it's more the principle of the matter. Tesla SCs should not be denying warranty claims that are clearly covered. I feel like the SCs are trained to just constantly say no, that they don't see logic.

It's not worth your time, but it's more the principle of the matter. Tesla SCs should not be denying warranty claims that are clearly covered. I feel like the SCs are trained to just constantly say no, that they don't see logic.
Oddly enough, he cited the ol' "trim pieces are not covered by warranty" mantra as my vehicle was in getting some trim pieces for the FWD replaced UNDER WARRANTY.

• Funny
Reactions: VikH
The door was ordered so I could modify the original to limit the accumlated 'schmootz' getting loaded in the cavity during use. I was ready to promptly pay the quoted cost for an extra door, but FYI, it was ordered/delivered during a annual service visit, which is a paid Tesla service. So, good reason to throw it my way for less... I got the impression that you procured your X used, and the previous owner had just turned it over to Tesla with the hitch receiver installed and the door probably in a drawer somewhere... Tesla has been clear that their pre-owned strategy is now "used", not certified anymore (i.e., they don't run it through a certification process - comes pretty much 'as is').

The door was ordered so I could modify the original to limit the accumlated 'schmootz' getting loaded in the cavity during use. I was ready to promptly pay the quoted cost for an extra door, but FYI, it was ordered/delivered during a annual service visit, which is a paid Tesla service. So, good reason to throw it my way for less... I got the impression that you procured your X used, and the previous owner had just turned it over to Tesla with the hitch receiver installed and the door probably in a drawer somewhere... Tesla has been clear that their pre-owned strategy is now "used", not certified anymore (i.e., they don't run it through a certification process - comes pretty much 'as is').
However, they do "promise" this for their used vehicles:

This Model X has passed a full 200 point mechanical and cosmetic inspection

Mechanical inspections include:
  • Confirmed odometer of less than 100,000 miles
  • No evidence of structural repairs
  • Tires (5/32" minimum)
  • Steering and suspension components
  • Powertrain system
  • Brake pads and vehicle braking system
  • Exterior lighting systems
  • Driver controls
  • Safety restraint systems
  • Charging system and equipment functionality

@Joelhc said it was $10.99 at his SC:
Modifying hitch receiver dust cover

I'm supposed to be getting a replacement cover next week. They have not told me a price yet.

So that visit completely ignored my request for a hitch cover. They did take care of the major issues, so I created another request. This time I showed up and they had a cover, but when he tried to install it, he discovered that it was a different part number.

10 mins after leaving he called me and said they found the right one! When we got there he found out that it needs a special clip that didn't come with the new cover. Made another appointment to get the cover clip.

So... if you have the older style hitch cover, with a single clip, be sure to ask for both pieces.

However, they do "promise" this for their used vehicles:

This Model X has passed a full 200 point mechanical and cosmetic inspection

Mechanical inspections include:
  • Confirmed odometer of less than 100,000 miles
  • No evidence of structural repairs
  • Tires (5/32" minimum)
  • Steering and suspension components
  • Powertrain system
  • Brake pads and vehicle braking system
  • Exterior lighting systems
  • Driver controls
  • Safety restraint systems
  • Charging system and equipment functionality

The Tesla Classic. Over promise and under deliver. They should really provide a checklist of what they have actually inspected. Instead of 200 I believe it would be closer to 20.