Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch receiver not latching

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preparing for our first trip this weekend with the X, so I thought I would try and install the hitch receiver which we are planning to use. Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but mine does not just click in like it is supposed to. It is fully seated in, but the little ball that should trigger the latching is not triggering. If I try to seat and re-seat it several times it will sometimes trigger, but usually it is as I'm pulling it out.

Once every 10 tries it will latch and hold while seated, but the knob does not fully turn to show green at the white dot. And the knob doesn't pop back in, it is still pulled out, so I cannot turn and remove the key. As the manual says, this means the receiver is not fully locked in.

Anyone one had this problem? I am going to take it in to the SC tomorrow to see if they can get it to work correctly. I really hope it is a problem with my hitch receiver unit, and not with the socket in the car. If it is the receiver unit, I'm worried they will not have a spare at the SC and will need to order, which means we will have to fallback to the minivan for our trip.

It is definitely a little difficult to seat the first few times you use it. It does appear to have gotten a little easier with time (for me). I don't know if it's because I'm better at it or the hitch is getting worked in. There is a spring-loaded ball bearing assembly that locks the hitch in place and it could simply be a little stiff when new. Hopefully the SC can get you sorted out.

Preparing for our first trip this weekend with the X, so I thought I would try and install the hitch receiver which we are planning to use. Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but mine does not just click in like it is supposed to. It is fully seated in, but the little ball that should trigger the latching is not triggering. If I try to seat and re-seat it several times it will sometimes trigger, but usually it is as I'm pulling it out.

Once every 10 tries it will latch and hold while seated, but the knob does not fully turn to show green at the white dot. And the knob doesn't pop back in, it is still pulled out, so I cannot turn and remove the key. As the manual says, this means the receiver is not fully locked in.

Anyone one had this problem? I am going to take it in to the SC tomorrow to see if they can get it to work correctly. I really hope it is a problem with my hitch receiver unit, and not with the socket in the car. If it is the receiver unit, I'm worried they will not have a spare at the SC and will need to order, which means we will have to fallback to the minivan for our trip.

Reset the knob/key. Then make sure you’re using force. To some it may seem like slamming it in. Stuff gets gunked up and a soft touch stops working after a while.

Reactions: scsmx
I find with mine that the ball trigger is a bit stiff. If I push it up a bit faster, or take a hammer and give it a light tap up into the receiver just to fully seat it, the mechanism will trigger.

Yes, sounds to me like the receiver unit needs to be put into the socket with force. This might trigger the ball bearings to engage and the knob to pop in. Can't hurt anything to try.

Mine is the easiest thing in the world to install/uninstall. Takes about 60 seconds for each. It works perfectly each and every time. I also install right before using the hitch and then uninstall as soon as I'm done towing. I keep the protector plate installed for all driving when not towing, and that keeps the area and the hitch socket clean.

Mine is the easiest thing in the world to install/uninstall. Takes about 60 seconds for each. It works perfectly each and every time. I also install right before using the hitch and then uninstall as soon as I'm done towing. I keep the protector plate installed for all driving when not towing, and that keeps the area and the hitch socket clean.

How old is your car and how many miles? I do the same thing too and it worked just like that. Until it didn't. 4 years of regular use and it requires force now.

How old is your car and how many miles? I do the same thing too and it worked just like that. Until it didn't. 4 years of regular use and it requires force now.

2016 MX P100D with 53K miles. It feels to me like the fit is incredibly tight. I bet if just one leaf or grain of sand were up in the socket, it wouldn't work so easily. Maybe even just a light layer of grime or film would prevent easy operation.

2016 MX P100D with 53K miles. It feels to me like the fit is incredibly tight. I bet if just one leaf or grain of sand were up in the socket, it wouldn't work so easily. Maybe even just a light layer of grime or film would prevent easy operation.

exactly. that is why i remove it after use and put the cover back on. i wouldn't want salt, sand, winter crap getting all up into that mechanism.