Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 P100D that does not have a tow hitch (thought all 2017+ came with one?) and was thinking about installing an aftermarket one.

Any good recommendations? Need it reallly as a bike rack.
On a Model X they call it a Tow Bar. Which was an option at one point. But the wiring and the socket you plug the Tow Bar into I would think would be there. Are you sure it’s not there?

What does Tesla say if you ask them to add one?

Reactions: Genie
They are clueless as always. I don’t even need the power really. Just need to be able to add my bike rack.
Is there a cover. Remove it and post a pic of what’s inside. My understanding is almost all X’s have that socket for the tow bar.

If the socket is there all you need is a tow bar. Occasionally people post theirs to sell. Might be some on eBay. And used to be listed in Tesla store but no longer is, but can still be purchased. No service is required unless you want to Tow, it might need to be activated on older X’s.

Last edited:
Here's a thread you may want to peruse. At least take a look at the pictures in the first post.

Here's a thread you may want to peruse. At least take a look at the pictures in the first post.
Good post. I doubt anyone would have an issue with warranty adding aftermarket to a model X. That looks pretty stock and mounted to the same place OEM mounts.

It will look empty when you remove the cover, but underneath should be a vertical socket the Bosal Tow hitch plugs into. Also wiring sockets to handle electrical plug ins. Think it is standard issue on all the 2018's. Service/Delivery centers should have the Bosal hitch in stock.

It will look empty when you remove the cover, but underneath should be a vertical socket the Bosal Tow hitch plugs into. Also wiring sockets to handle electrical plug ins. Think it is standard issue on all the 2018's. Service/Delivery centers should have the Bosal hitch in stock.

No mention of towing on the current X configurator page at all. Did they removing it?

It's in the parts catalog for the refresh X. But not for the Refresh S.

So does the mean the electrical is already there under the cover and the vertical hole for the right angle receiver is there already? Just making sure. I placed an order for an X instead of an S to replace my P85DL later this year and one of the main requirements is to be able to do light towing with a 2" hitch.

So does the mean the electrical is already there under the cover and the vertical hole for the right angle receiver is there already? Just making sure. I placed an order for an X instead of an S to replace my P85DL later this year and one of the main requirements is to be able to do light towing with a 2" hitch.
It looks exactly the same on Pre-Refresh and Post-Refresh in the Parts Catalogs. That's of course not a guarantee, but I think most would be shocked is they removed Towing from an X in the USA.

I bought Pre-Refresh X for the exact same reason you are.
But now, I'm switching to a Model S Refresh with the hope (I'm gambling) I can find a Tesla hitch that won't void warranty (they did remove language of voiding warranty if towing with a Refresh S).
From what I learned it will be an option in Europe (like the Model 3). Y is an option in USA and Standard on the X.
I suspect you might find Model X 2022 User manual discussing Towing as well.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
I have a “factory” Model X tow bar/Bosal hitch I’d be happy to give you, if you want to pay for shipped the thing from NJ. It likely won’t be cheap to ship, but cheaper than buying one.

I don’t have the wire harness for trailer lights (I need that for my Drawtite) but if you wanted that, I think it’s about $35 from the service center.

Shoot me a private message if you’re interested in it.