TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tow Hitch Waiting Room

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by VanillaAir_UK, Jul 30, 2019.

1. pmg102

pmg102 Member

LP have prices up again (identical to before the price drop), so will be making the phone call today... fingers crossed I don't get messed around too much.

2. electricspace

electricspace Member

Just had an email. Delivery estimate is third week of September.

• Like x 2
  3. PB.Brown

PB.Brown Member

when did you order?

4. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Waiting patiently for a tow

Slight change of capabilities of tow hitch - its added a reference to the few euro inventory Model 3 performance models that have recently appeared with tow hitch - albeit at significantly lower tow capability - SR+/LR AWD 910kg vs Performance 500kg.

reference Order and Delivery - Model 3

I don't have a later Eu version of manual than the 2019.16 one that I have to see if that reflects this.

• Informative x 2
  5. Fullerene

Fullerene Member

Hi Group - last week was difficult, it kept happening all the time. However I had a breakthrough over the weekend, I didn't feel the need for 48 hours. This morning I regressed, I found myself checking the page source for a vin, just a little bit.

On a serious note, with the recent batch of deliveries (it's a collection really) anybody spot any new owners with a Tow Bar on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter etc? I don't subscribe to these sites but I hear they are packed with Unicorns and other rarities.

Yours lazily

Fullerene

6. rubberfish

rubberfish Member

Awesome. May I ask when did you order yours?

7. Avendit

Avendit Member

OK, now they are tempting me.... If I wasn't trying to leave well alone to encourage delivery I would now officially be tempted by a P-.

• Like x 1
  8. VanillaAir_UK

Don’t get too tempted. You need to read the fine detail of these performance models - handful of Euro LHD inventories but it has opened the door a fraction for others to follow, maybe.

• Informative x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 Member

#49 pdk42, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    I've ordered a tow bar with mine. I'm planning to pull one of these:

[​IMG]

It takes one of these:

[​IMG]

Total weight (with glider in) a little under 900kg, so right on the 910kg limit. Nose weight around 25-50kg depending on how I load the gubbins.

I wonder if the tow bars are fitted at the factory or added in the UK? I can't see why they couldn't be fitted locally.

It'll be interesting to see the range impact. On my current car (BMW 335i) it's about a 15-20% penalty to the MPG. I'm hoping it's a similar impact on the Tesla.

• Like x 2
  10. VanillaAir_UK

I hope they are added in the factory otherwise there would be no reason for any delay.

11. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

I think the rear under bumper is modified for the tow bar based on the videos I have seen of the EU version vs the standard Model 3 but depends if the regular one has a hole for the tow bar too

12. pgkevet

pgkevet Member

It'll never work. You need more than summon speed to get airborne:):D

• Funny x 2
  13. VanillaAir_UK

I think (at least some) new cars are being delivered with the hatch irrespective of the tow option.

14. PB.Brown

PB.Brown Member

There has definitely been some activity on FB reporting delivery estimates in early Sept for tow bar equipped cars. Have only seen SR+ at the moment though :(

15. Fullerene

Fullerene Member

Thanks for the update, ever hopeful :)

16. Maarten-2cM

Maarten-2cM Member

Looks familiar, I did it last month, see (in Dutch, sorry):
    Rijden met aanhanger met de Tesla Model 3
    In the end I came out at around a 25% penalty on regular consumption, much better than I expected (OK, most only 80-90 km/h on the German Autobahn).
    Many happy landings!!!

17. Fullerene

Fullerene Member

Thanks google, in English:

Google Translate

18. VanillaAir_UK

Could you please post some photos of it please? I'm particularly after some distances - ball from bumper and height of ball from ground. I've got a thule easyfold bike rack ready and waiting but a little concerned if it will clear our drive without dragging as we are on a slight upward slope.

Just looked at thread - looks good. Wish I could understand Dutch - will try above translator lator.

19. interbear

interbear Member

I considered ordering my Model 3 with a towbar (hitch, whatever ) but then looked at how many times I used the towbar on my Discovery Sport, which I’d had installed to carry bikes. I counted the grand total of 4 times over 2 years. So decided not to bother this time, can’t really justify the investment for such limited use. The towbar on my Discovery cost me almost £1k so it’s already painful enough :confused: and I’m not doing that again.

So, before I head to eBay, thought I’d check on here to see if anyone is interested in buying a little used second hand Atera Strada 3+1 bike carrier (the +1 wasn’t ever used actually). PM me if interested, no idea what it’s worth and would need to be picked up in sunny Monmouthshire just over the Severn Bridge as it’s too big to post obviously.

20. pmg102

pmg102 Member

Bad timing. My brand new Atera Strava 3+1 bike carrier arrived through the post yesterday...

I know what you mean about ‘how many times will it get used’. Pondered this a lot over the last few weeks, particularly with the impact on delivery date. But the other options (roof rack or sea sucker) don’t interest me. And I’m hoping it gives the incentive to use it 20-30 times over the 5 years I’m planning to have the car.

Now just need them to deliver it!