Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First post for me (although been a reader of the forums for a while!). Received delivery text/email last night. Leeds LRAWD white/white tow.

Great stuff snap! Looks like all the white white AWD lr tows coming through together . Have you had an invoice through yet as although I had the email and text for delivery date there is no option to pay on my login .also does anyone know whether Tesla insure you to drive home or do you need to set something up in advance to drive the car home?

Great stuff snap! Looks like all the white white AWD lr tows coming through together . Have you had an invoice through yet as although I had the email and text for delivery date there is no option to pay on my login .also does anyone know whether Tesla insure you to drive home or do you need to set something up in advance to drive the car home?
No insurance from them. You can get a quote without a number plate then convert that and pay it the day before you pickup.

Reactions: Kitster
Ha, almost! In my excitement I forgot to edit after copy-pasting somebody else's text :) Mine's actually Blue (with white interior), so Leeds LRAWD blue-white tow 6/11. I have no final invoice or option to pay.They haven't phoned me either.

For those planning to carry multiple bikes on the towbar, be really careful not to exceed the nose weight limit. Even on the Model X, you can only carry a maximum of 54 kg on the towbar and that includes the actual bike rack itself. It's obviously not the same limit as when you are towing a load supported on its own wheels. I have no idea what the nose weight limit is on the Model 3, but I would check it first if you are planning to fit a 3 or 4 bike rack on there or carrying a couple of heavy e-mtbs.

As predicted, reduced weight 55kg for bike carriers finally included in the 2019.36.x European manual page 77 https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

Unfortunately, no Tesla approved accessories listed yet for Model 3.

Screenshot (283).png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pmg102
I now have a second M3 on order. Identical spec, but through LeasePlan as a company car. Ordered 11/11/2019. In May I would have had to pay 16% BIK for almost 12 months. Assuming a January/February order - it will only be a couple, so financially it makes more sense now.

Will be interesting to see for which order I get a delivery date first?!

Will cancel my private order near to delivery time, with the hope I can persuade them to swap the VIN to my LeasePlan order.

As predicted, reduced weight 55kg for bike carriers finally included in the 2019.36.x European manual page 77 https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

Unfortunately, no Tesla approved accessories listed yet for Model 3.

View attachment 477155

Well, that wasn't in the original European manual I used as a guide! I was expecting a 91Kg limit.. but.. the Thule VeloSpace XT2 I'm looking at, is 18.5Kg.. and thankfully my wife and I have fairly light road bikes, and my little boy won't have any heavy bikes for a long while yet.. so we're good for now. Thanks for the write-up a few pages back.

Thule VeloSpace XT2

thats a big old unit which may have problems fitting in the boot if need be (boxed it took up most of the boot of a Passat estate) - just in case you need to store it off the car or even get it home.

I originally chose the compact, but in the end swapped it for the easyfold. Much more manageable. Halfords price match and extra 10% made it more palatable.

I do not have a vin in source code yet, but I phoned Tesla yesterday and they said I have been matched with a car arriving in December. Delivery date second week of January. Hopefully this turns out to be true. How about you?

Nothing since the Dec/Jan text. No real update when I phone up.

now have the 2 orders - original and salary sacrifice lease - will be interesting to see which arrives first!

for some reason I’m still checking the source for a VIN on a daily basis. No idea why.

what’s the chances I end up with a 20 plate!

I think it was speculated upthread the reason the Performance w/ performance package (i.e. 20" wheels) are not configured with tow hitch, because the tires cannot support that load.

just saw today on the owners manual, that 20" tires are acceptable for towing. see: page 79
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

(but of course, if you look at the US manual, it says the model 3 "does not support towing", so go figure...)