Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitch when not in use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Just got my X

I find that the plastic cover for the under body doesn’t look like it’s designed for repeated use. It Uses the same rivets the wheel wells do.

If I leave the “tow bar” in I think it will rust up over time. I could plug it, which would help some.

If I take the “tow bar” out but leave cover off I worry crude and rust will form in the socket. They feels like what Tesla intends you to do.

If I Put the cover on it just seems very tedious. I might use the hitch on a run to the dump every 2-3 weeks.

It’s also messy with the grease when you take the tow bar out.

So what do you do?

Hitches are left in and rust all the time in other vehicles. The rust doesn't bother it.
You can always touch up with a steel brush and black spray paint if the rust becomes too much for you. For people with trailers, that's a pretty common thing to do. Folks also sell some pretty interesting receiver covers.

Used to put it on and off when needed. But this summer I was putting the bike hitch on most every weekend so I've just left it on now.
If you don't use the hitch often then I wouldn't leave it on.

Were you putting the cover back on?

I asked the Service Center to "Install" the Tow Software.
Not sure what they did in software but the hitch was plugged in at pickup.

Was there a plug on the car where the tow bar plugs in?

Was the grease on the Tow Bar in the zip up case or was all that grease in the socket?

During spring-summer-fall I might use it once every 2-3 weeks, to make a run to the dump with a trailer.

Were you putting the cover back on?
I do put the cover back on when the hitch is not in use.

Was there a plug on the car where the tow bar plugs in?
Yes, mine has a plug that goes into where the hitch connects. Keeps it free of debris. I put the plug in the zip up case when I have the receiver in use.

Was the grease on the Tow Bar in the zip up case or was all that grease in the socket?
Grease was in the socket.