Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch with Rear Facing Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All-

I had an auto shop install the DrawTire hitch on my 2014 Model S. However, they removed the long cross bar (?) that was on the car during the installation. Is that normal? I asked them if it was safe for the kids in the Rear Facing Seats without that cross bar, and they said that it should be fine and tow receive should provide protection. They also said that the instructions specifically call from the removal of the Tesla crossbar.

Hi All-
I had an auto shop install the DrawTire hitch on my 2014 Model S.
However, they removed the long cross bar (?) that was on the car during the installation. Is that normal?
I asked them if it was safe for the kids in the Rear Facing Seats without that cross bar,
and they said that it should be fine and tow receive should provide protection.
They also said that the instructions specifically call from the removal of the Tesla crossbar.
Can you get it on paper?

Hmm. definitely something to think about. I would have thought that the steel hitch would provide similar protection as the aluminum cross bar. I may swap it out for the Ecohitch version that allows the cross bar installation as well, but not sure how much utility we are going to get out of the back seats anymore anyway.

Hmm. definitely something to think about. I would have thought that the steel hitch would provide similar protection as the aluminum cross bar. I may swap it out for the Ecohitch version that allows the cross bar installation as well, but not sure how much utility we are going to get out of the back seats anymore anyway.

I was serious if you're considering letting them go. Hard to find them withing driving distance to pick up.

You should look into it, as you may have modified the car in a way such that the back seats are unsafe and out of spec, which could be a liability issue if you were to ever sell the car.

I've actually been considering removing my rear seats and crossbar, just haven't had time to do so.

With that said, the reason that crossbar is there is for a very specific reason, as it provides a lot more protection to the hatch area in the event of a rear end collision. I'm not sure how the tow hitch connects, but it's unlikely they put it through crash tests to see the difference in structural integrity in the event of a collision.
Granted, I would imagine a steel bar would be able to absorb and disperse forces a bit better than an aluminum bar, but it could also create more issues by not having the correct crumple or dispersion force.

I've actually been considering removing my rear seats and crossbar, just haven't had time to do so.

With that said, the reason that crossbar is there is for a very specific reason, as it provides a lot more protection to the hatch area in the event of a rear end collision. I'm not sure how the tow hitch connects, but it's unlikely they put it through crash tests to see the difference in structural integrity in the event of a collision.
Granted, I would imagine a steel bar would be able to absorb and disperse forces a bit better than an aluminum bar, but it could also create more issues by not having the correct crumple or dispersion force.

Agree with you there. Why do you want to remove the seats?

You should look into it, as you may have modified the car in a way such that the back seats are unsafe and out of spec, which could be a liability issue if you were to ever sell the car.

Not planning to sell the car ever.. but I ever to do it, I would sell it with a stipulation and liability waiver. I also have the original cross bar that can be reinstalled back.

Not planning to sell the car ever.. but I ever to do it, I would sell it with a stipulation and liability waiver. I also have the original cross bar that can be reinstalled back.
Good call. I have three rear seats in mine as well. If they get too hot in the summer, get 2 clip on fans and clip them on each 3rd row head rest to blow air in from the main passenger compartment.