Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in rural areas my whole life, I can tell you that if Tesla wants Cybertruck to succeed for the towing crowd they will eventually need to make wide pull through Supercharging spots. Not as easy as you say with many trailers, and rural guys surely aren't going to go through those hoops when they already have gas options they like. So yes, if Tesla wants towing with EV's to succeed then pull through chargers will be necessary.

That's going to be difficult, I think. Most of the SC's I've ever seen are not built in locations that would easily support pull-through for trucks with large trailers.

I am entirely unsurprised by this development. It was obvious this option would be available at some point in the near future, and I’m glad it happened so quickly after initial deliveries.
Breaking news: Just spotted on Tesla's US website. When choosing your wheels, you can now opt for a tow hitch for $1000!
View attachment 530996

Great to see the tow hitch added as an option. My original order was in February, so the pricing hasn't changed. I reached out this morning (9:30 eastern) to update my order, and just got confirmation a few minutes ago (~4 hours later). No added change-fee aside from the $1K additional option cost.

Interesting observation: This didn't affect my financing amount. The $1K was added to my required down payment.

Attachments

• tow-hitch-added.jpg
    tow-hitch-added.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 72
Maybe stupid question, but none of my cars have ever had hitches before. I would like a hitch to carry one bike. Nothing more. I could use the trunk but then i have to remove the front wheel of the bike. I assume this is overkill for a single bike. Is this still a good option (cost aside) or will there be too many drawbacks (such as lowered efficiency) if this type of tow hitch is installed? And if so, are there other options?

Maybe stupid question, but none of my cars have ever had hitches before. I would like a hitch to carry one bike. Nothing more. I could use the trunk but then i have to remove the front wheel of the bike. I assume this is overkill for a single bike. Is this still a good option (cost aside) or will there be too many drawbacks (such as lowered efficiency) if this type of tow hitch is installed? And if so, are there other options?

I have an Equinox that I currently use a bike rack on. While my mountain bike would fit inside, I have no interest in doing so, especially if I've been riding on a muddy trail. That, plus the amount of care it requires to place my bike in the car without snagging something. So much easier to just pop it on the bike rack and not worry at all.

From a security standpoint, I wouldn't leave my bike on the rack unattended, so maybe in those instances, storing inside the car might be a better option, but I tend to head back home right after riding, so security isn't a concern for me.

Also: I don't leave the rack on the car. Stays in the garage unless I'm headed out riding. Takes about a minute to add or remove it.

I received a call from service advisor asking me to complete my order. I asked him about the hitch and he had no information about it at this time. I told him to reach back out after I had an opportunity to at least sit in the car. I’m worried about the rear hatch area, load height, and availability of a hitch. I have a hitch-mounted bike rack and a small 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer I built that I need to tow occasionally.

I will be trading in my Model 3 and also need to get an idea in resale value.
I had hitch installed on my jeeps and easily put the bike hitch on and took it off in the winter. It's not too much more difficult than changing a light bulb. I plan on putting my road bike and my wife's bike inside the MY in order to avoid a hitch and avoid using a roof rack. I think the large trunk space where people keep putting a piece of carry-on luggage, will accommodate the handlebars of one bike (mine with front wheel off), and then with a blanket to protect the bikes, my wife's bike on top with her handlebars towards the front of the car, with her wheel still on. That's the plan

Great to see the tow hitch added as an option. My original order was in February, so the pricing hasn't changed. I reached out this morning (9:30 eastern) to update my order, and just got confirmation a few minutes ago (~4 hours later). No added change-fee aside from the $1K additional option cost.

Interesting observation: This didn't affect my financing amount. The $1K was added to my required down payment.
did you see your car's price increase? I edited my order in Canada and the original price went up after the tow hitch...talk about a costly $3600 mistake...doesn't even include the hitch for $1300. FK. Can tesla revert my pricing?

Hopefully they are better prepared than they were with the model x. The tow hitch was out of stock for after delivery installs for a long time with no idea when they would be back in stock. So long that I resorted to buying a used hitch and installed it myself...
My guess is they aren't prepared, and people will be on Tesla time for tow hitch installs...

Reactions: MikeInFL
I hadn't taken delivery yet, and they haven't changed the pricing on my, so I went ahead and modified my order. I had already put in my registration info and everything. No change fee, looks like. Thanks for everyone chiming in on this. I might have missed the opportunity to add it to my order if not for you all. Thanks!

I hadn't taken delivery yet, and they haven't changed the pricing on my, so I went ahead and modified my order. I had already put in my registration info and everything. No change fee, looks like. Thanks for everyone chiming in on this. I might have missed the opportunity to add it to my order if not for you all. Thanks!

When was your original order placed or last modified? Have prices changed since then? That’s what’s causing increased cost from what I understand.

When was your original order placed or last modified? Have prices changed since then? That’s what’s causing increased cost from what I understand.
No, pricing as of yesterday was the same as when I ordered. But I wanted to get the change made before pricing does change.

Also, I'm in the final delivery stages (Tesla called at noon March 30th to see if I could take delivery that day at 2pm). Despite that, no order change fee.

Is this a troll post? 1 post, no followup, and you can't see the hitch in the image. If it's not a troll post, then at least post a better image and a few details (manufacturer for instance...)

See this post: My model y hatch won’t reverse when hitting something. It this a service problem just on my car

Why would you put your arm under something that can crush it when you can safely put something else (other than living things), AND then ask others to do the same?

Sorry, now back to the OP subject.

Troll, err Tow. o_O

Last edited: